Cement residue on a stripped drum

ConcertTom

Hi All, so I feel like there was a thread that gave me the answer to this but I cant find it now.

Over a year ago, i test-removed the wrap from one of my Rogers toms and stained it. I am now following through with the other 2 toms. Problem is, I cant seem to get all the contact cement off of the shells before I finish sanding and staining/finishing them, and I cant remember what process I ended up using when I did the first tom. I THOUGHT i had just used the same solvent i used when removing the wrap (Goof off professional strength, which smells like mostly acetone) and wiped or scraped it off, buuuuuut It just softens and rubs the cement back into the grains of wood for the most part.

I hit it with a sander but that didnt accomplish much either.

I'm considering a stronger solvent like Jasco, but I wanted to get opinions before go down this goose chase rabbit hole.

Attachments

• 20180909_161854-980x981.jpg
    20180909_161854-980x981.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 111
You will have to sand it off. It takes time, but stain will not penetrate glue. You can try scrapers or heavier grit paper but it has to come off. some solvents are also oil based and will only penerate the wood and cause a bigger mess. Keep sanding.

If it was surface cement, I've used paint stripper, doesn't take off any wood. But yours has seeped into wood, and you can't go much deeper with a solvent, thus nothing but sanding left. If you cant sand past that staining, you may just have to leave it. It will still stain, only slight different colour.

Well, it hasn't really *seeped* into the wood, more that it just keeps getting moved around by my solvent or sander. I would love a way to crystallize the cement somehow. Wonder if alcohol might have that affect...

I might try the jasco and see what happens. I'm happy to put the time into standing, but I run the risk of uneven divots if I have to stand too hard in one spot or another.

Realizing as I'm taping up the bearing edges in preparation for Jasco that this is in fact exactly what I did last time and kicked myself for not doing it sooner then, as I am now.

I have seen some YouTube videos where they heat the glue residue with a heat blower of some sort to a high temp and then scrape it off.

Back