DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming But Music Related

Old 08-31-2018, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Default Noise cancelling headphones?

Anyone own a pair and how do you like them?
I see passengers wearing them while flying. They're expensive but am considering a pair just to drown out the background noise without having to crank-up the music too loud.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Noise cancelling headphones?

Had a pair of cheap ones a few years ago, and they sucked. Sounded like static-y noise. But I have a friend who travels for a living, and she let me borrow her Bose headphones for a long flight this summer. As soon as I got home, I bought my own...

The higher-end models are definitely worth it. I usually use ear buds (the kind with the rubber flanges that look like ear plugs) on flights, and those work okay. But with the Bose, I was able to keep the volume down quite a bit, yet still cancel out nearly all of the outside engine/plane noise. I don't like feeling completely isolated from the environment, though, and the Bose lets you set the level of noise cancellation. On a noisy airplane, I leave it on high. When I'm at home doing drum-pad-work (like "Great Hands for a Lifetime") and listening to the metronome app, the low setting is perfect.

I always thought noise cancelling headphones like Bose were a gimmick, but now I'm sold. Not necessarily on Bose as a brand, because I could have easily ended up with the Sony WH1000XM2 headphones, but on the benefits of the better noise cancelling sets.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

I think it's a fad. Granted, if you're traveling, you might want to go the Bose route because they fold up and are easy to pack away when not needed. But if you just want to cancel outside noise, I still swear by the GK Ultra Phones (as does Bermuda). Nothing like shooter's grade noise protection outfitted with Sony drivers from their MDR-7506 Studio Monitor headphones. I could be on a stage with the band mixing their front of house sound with those (which I've done in the past). Not a bad investment.

Also the other cool option which doesn't cost much more than the GK headphones, would be anybody's lowest-priced in-ear monitors. I got the cheapest custom-molded Ultimate Ears, and you literally cannot hear what's going on beyond your ears. Which is why you can play your music a lot softer too. So there's always that option. Plus you look really cool wearing those on a plane ;)
Old 09-01-2018, 12:27 AM
Silver Member

A close friend was gifted a BOSE noise cancelling headset. It's his most valued possession for traveling and flying and he swears by them.

Personally I think BOSE noise cancelling headsets are overhyped other then they are extremely comfortable. There are definitely better performing headsets.

My "go to" headphones are Sennheiser MK 25-1 II (note: discontinued model, but now offered in three versions as Sennheiser MK 25 Light, Standard or Plus)
which are classified as high noise reduction models. With music from my iPod I hear little to nothing going on around me when flying.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:35 AM

I fly once a month, and active noise cancelling headphones are crucial to my well being. I have a Bose, and they do a fantastic job at killing constant noise outside. Perfect for flying.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:30 AM
Gold Member

Bose have a few things going for them. 1. Comfort - the cups fit very comfortably and create zero pressure points. 2. Heat - not sure how they do it, but all others I demod (tried and returned) would get super hot. 3. Listening fatigue - I read a ton about how the Bose donít have tha bass of Beats. They donít. They produce a pretty flat signal, so your ears actually donít get stressed. I actually donít think they lack bass at all, but definitely not boomy. 4. Noise cancelling - the best Iíve tried.

I guess you could consider them overhyped, but they actually are less expensive or on par with most other offerings. Iíve never been a big Bose fan boy, but they did well with their over the ear headphones. The in ear ones...not so much.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummy View Post
I fly once a month, and active noise cancelling headphones are crucial to my well being. I have a Bose, and they do a fantastic job at killing constant noise outside. Perfect for flying.

I have the Bose as well, and agree, absolutely crucial.

Besides the jet engines, I know I have been saved from several crying babies. Easy to pack as well. Will not fly without them.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:50 AM
Silver Member

the bose noise canceling ear buds also work really well for traveling and are really small and easy to get used to. i was surprised that they worked as good as the bose over the ears one i had (which got stolen).
Old 09-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

I've heard good things about the Bose phones as well, from somebody who wouldn't usually be that fussed about this sort of thing.

Funnily, he tried a pair that he was carrying in flight for someone else.

Personally, I think regular headphones work just fine most of the time (a decent circumaural pair that fits around the ears).

Noise cancelling phones would be context specific I guess and most likely of interest to frequent flyers.

I think the above description of the Bose is interesting in regards to not causing ear-fatigue. Bass-heavy sound reproduction is over-rated anyway.

Better to let the music breathe...
Old 09-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the responses folks. I'm considering these for flights mainly or on the rare commuter train ride.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
Thanks for the responses folks. I'm considering these for flights mainly or on the rare commuter train ride.
Jeremy, if comfort is the most important factor by all means go with the BOSE.

If you're a stickler for sonic quality, try several different brands out and see if they create any pressure points that would render them too uncomfortable to wear.

Would like to hear which model you decide on and what you think of them.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the tip! I will let you know if Santa is feeling generous enough for a pair of Bose this year...
Old 09-02-2018, 03:54 AM
Platinum Member

I have some mid-priced noise cancelling headphones that I take on long flights. I usually donít play any music, itís just to mute the engine noise so I can sleep. The downside is I canít lean my head to the side with the headphones on. But the relief from the drone is worth it.

Regular headphones or earplugs donít block the low drone which travels through your skull. Active cancelling phones do.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

I bought a pair Sony WH-1000XM2s last year when our office space changed into a more open environment. I love them. They are more of a survival tool in my office than a luxury. If I forget them at home, I will drive back to get them. They sound really good and the noise-cancelling is perfect for what I use them for. And yes, for travelers they have some cool features.

They have a feature where you just put your hand over the right cup and it lowers the music and turns on an ambient mic so you can hear a person talking if someone needs to speak with you for a moment. It also has multiple settings for what noise it allows in, which can be customized with the phone app to automatically detect your movement. If you start walking, it lets in some ambient sound, etc. It can block everything except speech if you're waiting for a flight to board or something. When the plane takes off at high speed, you get full noise-cancelling.

They just released a new model a few days ago, the XM3, that is supposed to be more comfortable than ever and improve on every weakness of my model (which I honestly don't think there are any). If you're thinking of buying some, you can walk into a place like Best Buy and just try them out.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I will let you know if Santa is feeling generous enough for a pair of Bose this year...

Pah-shaw with Santa. Just have eBay keep an eye out for you. I got mine for less than half price. Damn near factory new.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:09 AM

I have these and I highly, highly recommend them. I use them for at least 8 hours a day. I fly quite a bit and I used to catch the tube quite a bit. They make it damn near silent. You don't realise how loud day to day life is until you can't hear it anymore.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/29/...ing-headphones
Old 09-11-2018, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

I enjoy using my Shure 215's as headphones. I don't have to cut them up too loudly, and the definitely cancel out noise. I wear them at the gym for about 1.5 hrs per session. With that said, I don't know if I would want to wear them on a 6-hour flight or anything.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
I have these and I highly, highly recommend them. I use them for at least 8 hours a day. I fly quite a bit and I used to catch the tube quite a bit. They make it damn near silent. You don't realise how loud day to day life is until you can't hear it anymore.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/29/...ing-headphones
I tried a pair of those on last week and boy were they comfortable!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I tried a pair of those on last week and boy were they comfortable!
Hmmm...interesting. Same headphones I found to get super hot. Goes to show you YMMV! Agree on the comfort fit though. Sound quality was super nice too.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:48 AM

Another thumbs up for the Bose. They are seriously a frequent flyer's best friend - freaky quiet and very comfortable.

Being the tightwad that I am, I scored a set on Amazon's Prime Days a while back.

Hope it helps,
radman