DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming But Music Related

Old 10-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why don't they make...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boogie View Post
I think they have them for bass drums, like the spinners you see on peoples wheels on their cars. Or another member was mentioning it or something, maybe the good doc.
You're welcome. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK3YjM2XLgI
Old 10-12-2018, 05:47 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masheanhed View Post
I forgot Hydration IVs. Doesn't interfere if your a singing drummer. Can also be used with beer.
enough musicians sticking needles in their arms already. Not to mention the risk of infection or over-hydrating
Old 10-12-2018, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
How about a frame, adjustable of course, that sits on the drum and allows you to turn all the tension rods at once from a single point. Like each end of the frame has a key end that sits on the rod, and a single rod in the center that operates the ones at the ends of the frame. So you turn one, it turns them all accordingly.
Some early timpani had a small cog half way down each tension rod, then a chain which went around the drum connecting all the cogs. Turn one rod and all the others followed. This was superseded by the pedal mechanism. And the rototom.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croc View Post
I know the Sonor Giant Step Twin Effect pedal actuates one of its two beaters via up and down action by the heel but has anyone made a pedal where the heel is the primary motivator? Seems to me with the front of the foot planted and used for leverage, there is more range of motion with the heel up and down than flexing the standard way.

I don't know if this would reduce fatigue, enable faster play, more power or anything useful. We'll leave that to the advertising department...
Some guy did this a while ago. The whole thing looks kind of awkward.

https://youtu.be/K_qijx08S_8

Edit: Just found this one too:

https://youtu.be/ddCxXpYH3wU
Old 10-15-2018, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

The Turkey Strut Drum Pedal is just a thought away from fruition. Top notch biomechanical drum pedal for the more meticulous consumer and it has an "Artistic" design.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
Some guy did this a while ago. The whole thing looks kind of awkward.

https://youtu.be/K_qijx08S_8

Edit: Just found this one too:

https://youtu.be/ddCxXpYH3wU
Hmmm, doesn't look natural, agreed....
Old 10-16-2018, 12:48 AM

Here are two more in the patent application phase:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf pedal.pdf (70.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf pedal 2.pdf (80.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-16-2018, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

Holy Moly my mock pedal looks better than those LOL. That second one is freaky a suspended pedal that controls both beaters? The first one looks interesting like the action is back and forth rather than up and down? Seems like those will have a big learning curve. Interesting though kidding around I actually do have two ideas for a new pedal I've been "pondering" on-like a fine wine an idea takes time to ripen.

I'll spill the beans someone probably has already invented one of them. A pedal that that has a spring pulling the beater back as now (so default is back in position), but not a chain but a single solid drive joining a cam. Now the cam would be such that it would engage and pull the beater down as usual then disengage (so beater goes back in position) so upon upstroke it engages to once again push beater (a rotary cam)-so both up and down stroke you get a pedal stroke. The pedal could be like a shoe or like a bike so shoes attach to pedal so up and down stroke of foot would transmit force. I'm sure someone has done this?? If not oooops LOL. It could revolutionize Metal LOL.

Last edited by GetAgrippa; 10-16-2018 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

...a floating kick drum. Picture a pair of arches, one in front and rear. They could double as spurs, and the drum would just hang from them via some rubber/elastic/silicone suspension system attached to the lugs. They float everying else on a RIMS style mount, why not the kick?
Old 10-16-2018, 05:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Holy Moly my mock pedal looks better than those LOL. That second one is freaky a suspended pedal that controls both beaters? The first one looks interesting like the action is back and forth rather than up and down? Seems like those will have a big learning curve. Interesting though kidding around I actually do have two ideas for a new pedal I've been "pondering" on-like a fine wine an idea takes time to ripen.

I'll spill the beans someone probably has already invented one of them. A pedal that that has a spring pulling the beater back as now (so default is back in position), but not a chain but a single solid drive joining a cam. Now the cam would be such that it would engage and pull the beater down as usual then disengage (so beater goes back in position) so upon upstroke it engages to once again push beater (a rotary cam)-so both up and down stroke you get a pedal stroke. The pedal could be like a shoe or like a bike so shoes attach to pedal so up and down stroke of foot would transmit force. I'm sure someone has done this?? If not oooops LOL. It could revolutionize Metal LOL.
I feel like I saw something like that in an 80s or 90s Modern Drummer magazine. There was a little arm thing that went over your toe to hold the pedal board to your foot.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:51 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I was told my idea should be flushed.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2018, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
ROFL!!!!!! Now that's funny.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
For practice on the "throne"!
Old 10-16-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I feel like I saw something like that in an 80s or 90s Modern Drummer magazine. There was a little arm thing that went over your toe to hold the pedal board to your foot.
Like toe clips on bike pedals? That would mess with the shuffle technique I've seen some use to up their stroke speed. Interesting thought, though.

It will be interesting to see if these designs make it out of the application phase and are actually granted.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croc View Post
Like toe clips on bike pedals? That would mess with the shuffle technique I've seen some use to up their stroke speed. Interesting thought, though.

It will be interesting to see if these designs make it out of the application phase and are actually granted.
Thinking back, it may have been a shaker or something attached to/operated by a bass drum pedal. So by the pedal gripping your foot, you could get an even back and forth shake.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:04 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Toe clips on Bicycles afford the ability to push down and pull up. Since drums don't play on the up I see no need for a clip. I have a toe stop on my pedal but no a clip.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Toe clips on Bicycles afford the ability to push down and pull up. Since drums don't play on the up I see no need for a clip. I have a toe stop on my pedal but no a clip.
The pedal I saw also worked on the upstroke
Old 10-16-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
The pedal I saw also worked on the upstroke
Now you guys are onto something. How about a pedal with a toe clip which works on both the down and up strokes actuating a beater located between two coaxial bass drums, one in front of the other. Now, extend that to a dual rig with two beaters between these two drums. Hits would be registered for each stroke forward and back, for left and right feet. The speed metal dudes could go even more crazy!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Yes it can work maybe like a Mazda rotary motor cam on a stiff rod attached to pedal. The rod is attached to cam like a train wheel so it rotates from front to back as pedal goes down and up. The cam is attached to spring so beater by default goes back. As the cam rotates it has an attachment bar on front and back of cam that will reciprocally push one out and one in-then vice versa. You push down pedal stiff rod pulls beater down per usual from front side and meets attachment bar to push beater down-then because shift of cam the attachment bar recedes on that side (so beater goes back) and appear on other, Then upon upstroke the momentum of downstroke rotates cam so it will meet the bar on the back side of cam to push beat once again.The cam shift so bar recedes on backside and ups on front side the momentum of cam moves the bar to front side to engage attachment bar for new cycle. It would probably feel like pushing a train wheel and build up momentum the more I think about it-always a double stroke. I t would ridiculous to play. Probably the reason it isn't popular except maybe some metal drummers LOL. It reminds me of my Mom's old sewing machine. Hmmm the wheel needs to go both ways so once engage on downstroke or upstroke you can flutter-as long as you don't go all the way down you can minstroke on either side. A full stroke would be a double stroke
Attached Images

Last edited by GetAgrippa; 10-17-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Woke up this morning and the idea I had about a pedal that beats upon down and upstroke of foot pedal came up again. I was dreaming about it -it would be an elliptical path that would push the beater down on down stroke and upstroke. I made an illustration.
Attached Images

Last edited by GetAgrippa; 10-19-2018 at 06:25 PM.