Band Drama-Will It Ever End-Just Sayin

Jim Mattingly

I swear to god I have been through more drama in a band than I have in 23 years of wedded bliss and raising a teenage daughter....Just making a statement I am sure most if not all of you have experienced...WILL IT EVER END !!!! ???? Doubtful...How frickin unproductive...Word to the wise young guns, stay away from it if at all possible but don't just put up with it either and most definitely do not be the cause of it...Not even going to get into the latest escapade...Diva want to be rock stars, ughhhhhh.....Just needed to vent, thanks....

It makes a good manager of you if you stick with it.

Sometimes it feels like I'm sitting in a chair next to the pyschiatrist's couch as opposed to my drum throne. I should hang a sign on my drums that says THE DOCTOR IS IN.

And yet the saga continues on my end, thankfully I am in 2 separate projects with literally no drama in the main project. Why can't we all just get along,,,,,waaaaa. I thought the keyboard player was going to cry talking with him over the phone last night. I believe I will start charging, very soon and very much. As my wife sits back laughing her butt off...Man...Good luck to us all....

It makes a good manager of you if you stick with it.

Very true statement, depending on the situation and the individuals involved it is best to try and hang tough. However, certain situations such as drug or alcohol abuse, constantly blowing off rehearsals etc.. do not warrant the effort.

The sign you need is this,
"Leave your attitude at the door.
You are not going to be a rock star.
Now let's have some fun."

My last band broke up because of drama between my singer and my guitarist+his fiancee. (There were some other reasons too) I'm stuck in the middle listening to both of them. By the time my singer asked me if we should play our last show I agreed so quickly I think it offended him.

The sign you need is this,
"Leave your attitude at the door.
You are not going to be a rock star.
Now let's have some fun."

Funny you should mention the sign thing. I actually had two signs I printed out from a huge label maker at work, one read "No Egos Past This Point" and the other read No Egos Allowed, We Are Playing Music, Not Working, Let's Have Fun, or something to that effect. I had pics of both of them but cannot find them, they are actually still there, I will take some pics of them and post it to this thread. It's funny though, because in the bands I was in back in the Washington, D.C. area I cannot remember ever having any huge band drama issues, it seems to be pretty much an accepted practice around the Grand Rapids, Michigan area.

Here are the pics of the signs I had going into the old practice room and one in the practice room. Finally just ended the drama in the one band, we have opted to call it quits, what a waste of time again, thank god it was the second project and not the main band, we only played out about a half dozen times so not a great loss, glad it is over for now.....

Attachments

• TattoosDrums 009.jpg
    TattoosDrums 009.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 689
  • TattoosDrums 011.jpg
    TattoosDrums 011.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 688
Pretty cool Jim (except for the Redskins stuff, Pats fan here : ).. Going through main band drama now myself and of course both are privately e-mailing me about the other one. LOL

Main problem is the rhythym guitar does not think the lead is a good enough singer and I kind of agree with him but not sure how to tell the lead without offending him. I will figure something out.

It's hard enough for a couple to stay on the same page, let alone four of five people.

You need empathy, tact, patience, humour and the ability to compromise with good grace ... and so does the rest of the band to deal with you :)

I play heavy metal in a band with likeminded people.
All we wanna do is thrash out and have a good time... No drama.

The main band I'm in has systematically replaced everybody in it except for the lead guitarist, who is also founder member and main songwriter by a long way. There are six of us. Each member has been replaced by someone who was a better musician and had a more professional attitude, but it's taken years to do. The more you do it, the easier it gets. It's very good if personal relationships can be taken as a seperate thing...i.e., just because you're not in the band doesn't mean you're fired as a friend too.

Pretty cool Jim (except for the Redskins stuff, Pats fan here : ).. Going through main band drama now myself and of course both are privately e-mailing me about the other one. LOL

Main problem is the rhythym guitar does not think the lead is a good enough singer and I kind of agree with him but not sure how to tell the lead without offending him. I will figure something out.

Does New England still have a football team ?? Ha ha...I have to admit that being from the D.C. area I am and have been a die hard Sox fan all my life and have always caught hell for it, and I have obviously always hated them Yanks...

Hopefully you get through the drama stuff unscathed, it does get very old, very quick and I can appreciate being the middle man also...you just want to try and keep the peace and keep it together, very hard sometimes, good ---GO SOX !!!

Back