Remo Vintage A's

sqadan

Wow... I've been trying to find just the right heads for my 60's Ludwig Downbeat kit for a while now... I just threw on some Vintage A's for the heck of it - and they are just what I've been looking for! They seem to really be a happy medium between Emperors and Ambassadors. Warm with diminished overtones while retaining a lively feel.

Anybody else using these on a vintage kit? I'd love to hear opinions... also - has anybody tried the Ambassador X heads on a vintage kit? I may try those as well.

Factory heads back then were of good quality, and much thinner. Although they had a certain material not available anymore due to environmental issues. The standard heads that came with Ludwig sets, had a thickness similar to that to coated Remo Diplomats of today. Aside from actual vintage Ludwig heads, I prefer the Diplomats on my vintage drums rather then the Vintage A's or even ambassadors. I feel the thin heads conform better to Ludwig's not so perfect bearing edges anyway, and have just the sound I'm looking for.

But if it sounds great to you, then its great.

But if it sounds great to you, then its great.

Sounds pretty great to me ...

Actually to everyone that hears it and or plays it, the drummer in my band (in the band I play bass)
borrows it all the time says he has never heard/played a snare that sounds this good
he has been playing professionally since 1965 ... here is the set-up 1969 Ludwig Supraphonic,
Remo A vintage head tuned low, clear Ambassador on the bottom. Tama MS42R14S snare wire ...

Would not change a thing, just "the" sound a snare drum should have to my ears
and for the old school blues and R&B we play

It is used with a non-vintage Yamaha Manu Katche Jr kit with Remo Emperors on the toms and
a Powerstroke 4 on the kick ... what's not to love!

Ludwigbadge.jpg

Bottom.jpg

Logo100.jpg

KatcheKittop.jpg

Last edited:
I really dig these heads. I put one on my snare and it sounds bigger and warmer now then standard ambassador coated. Less ring as well. I think these heads are winners for sure.

I am a single ply freak but this changed my views on that.

I really dig these heads. I put one on my snare and it sounds bigger and warmer now then standard ambassador coated. Less ring as well. I think these heads are winners for sure.

I am a single ply freak but this changed my views on that.

I think you get the best of both worlds with these heads... the response of single ply heads with the overtone control and warmth of a coated 2 ply. I really like them - especially on the toms.

I just picked up one of these for my snare. I was using a Remo CS on a black chrome over brass 14 x 6½ snare and it always has sounded great.

The Vintage A head sounds even better to my ear.

As soon as I'm done with my coated Ambassadors on my toms, I'm going to try the Vintage As all around. Although on my 18" floor tom, a coated emperor works better for me.

Back