New Set of Cymbals

spartanfan10

Hello all,

So after years of playing with awful cymbals that are finally now starting to crack, I'm in the market for a new set. I must say that I'm extremely leery of cheaper cymbals as I have broken 2 14" Zildjian ZBTs and a 16" ZBT. I don't abuse my cymbals by any means, just hit reasonably hard.

So essentially I'm looking for a set of 14" hi-hats, 16" and 18" crashes, somewhere around an 18" china with more punch than sizzle, and a 20" ride that has a nice crash as well. I was looking for something on the darker end of the spectrum that is durable and didn't want to spend too much money. Help please?

Thanks,
Andrew

On the inexpensive side, I've been impressed by the Sabian XS series.

On the pricey side, sounds like you might be happy with Z Custom.

Z Custom, Dark?

Check out the AAX and HHX lines from sabian. I own a 21" HHX dry ride and 20" HHx China and they are both great cymbals. The Dry Ride has great body, good stick definition and an amazing crash, and the China is mega explosive, check out the 18" if you want something a bit more higher pitched as the 20" is quite low.

On the Crashes front everyone seems to be screaming Evo crashes lately, but also consider the Studio and HHXplosion and AAXplosion cymbals as well.

As for hats perhaps checkout the AAX or HXX X-Celerators or stage models.

Z Custom, Dark?

Check out the AAX and HHX lines from sabian. I own a 21" HHX dry ride and 20" HHx China and they are both great cymbals. The Dry Ride has great body, good stick definition and an amazing crash, and the China is mega explosive, check out the 18" if you want something a bit more higher pitched as the 20" is quite low.

On the Crashes front everyone seems to be screaming Evo crashes lately, but also consider the Studio and HHXplosion and AAXplosion cymbals as well.

As for hats perhaps checkout the AAX or HXX X-Celerators or stage models.

If you want something a little darker but still explosive, I'd highly recommend the HHX line, too. I have an HHXtreme crash that cuts through everything if you want it to, but it still sounds good if you just tap it. I also like the Studio, Evo, and HHXplosion crashes. I had some X-Celerator hats before, too, but traded them for some Legacies because I'm playing more jazz now. Nice and cutting. The Groove ride is great and very versatile (I think it only comes in a 21"), and I've also had the HH Raw Bell Dry Ride. Recently, I traded that for a Vault Signature Salsero Ride, which has a nice sound, too. Finally, you can't beat the HHX Chinese. I have the 18", and it has a sweet sound with a rapid decay that makes for a great accent cymbal, or you can ride it the way Mike Portnoy does on a lot of the Dream Theater stuff.

The Paiste RUDE cymbals I have found to bit darker, especially in the Wild crash series. Also, a ride/crash might work for you too. And they are generally cheaper. For my cymbal purchases, I go to massmusic.net. They always have lower prices there.

If you want to spend alot of money go for Sabian HHX.

Z Custom, Dark?

Whoops. Must have misread something there. Z Customs would likely not fit the bill. :)

You might try contacting Saluda (www.saludacymbals.com). They can customize any of their lines to your specifications, and they're wicked inexpensive. You can also send in your old cymbals as trades toward your new pies.

The HHX that have been mentioned are great choices. Dark, defined and sound incredible at a nice array of volumes, which lends them to be quite versatile.

The Paiste Twenty series are also dark but slightly less so than the HHXs. Very versatile cymbals as well with a very complex wash and each crash I have (16 Thin, 18 Med, 18 Thin) seems to roar.

Many of us have suggested cymbals on the not-inexpensive side. There's a lesson to be learned here: invest in quality cymbals and there will be no regrets, but remember, not all quality cymbals are expensive.

I appreciate all the input guys.

My only issue with spending a ton of money on cymbals is that I really don't play all the time but also when I play I tend to break them. I would feel like an idiot spending $700 on a cymbal set and then shattering them.

Gotta say, was a little skeptical of the massmusic.net claim to lower prices but that same Paiste set is at least $100 cheaper.

I look into the Saluda lines as well but none of them seemed to be very expensive. Was I looking at the wrong lines?

The Paiste RUDE cymbals I have found to bit darker, especially in the Wild crash series. Also, a ride/crash might work for you too. And they are generally cheaper. For my cymbal purchases, I go to massmusic.net. They always have lower prices there.

If you want to spend alot of money go for Sabian HHX.

WOAH! $68 for the cymbal I just bought! Looks like I need another price match! =D Yay

I look into the Saluda lines as well but none of them seemed to be very expensive. Was I looking at the wrong lines?

Nope, you're looking at the right Saludas. They're not expensive, and they don't have to be. Little over $100 for a crash, customized to your specs. Dry, wet, loud, quiet... it's all up to you. It's all because it doesn't have the big name.

I figure since they're so inexpensive, it can't hurt to try. And if you're dissatisfied, Jamie (at Saluda) will keep modifying your cymbal until you're happy.

Went to massmusic.net and got an outrageous deal from clearance on a complete set of XS20s. A million thanks to Sinsyk17.

Back