Stanton Moore here

Re: Stanton Moore

DR.WHOO said:
Finally i've received my dvd's copy!!!!!!!!
i've waithed more than 3 mounth but they arrived.....

I must say that stanton is amazing!!!!!!!!

Keep on playing like this man ....

GROOOOOVEEEEEE !!!!!!!

Teo

The "modern approach" dvd is my favorite!

Re: stanton moore videos

skippy said:
hey this guy is rad. and i love his style and the whole new orleans jazz style but i was wondering if anyone new a site to find videos of him playing gigs and stuff like that. thanks in advance

His two DVD's are superb. I prefer the "modern" approach overall.

Re: stanton moore videos

skippy said:
hey this guy is rad. and i love his style and the whole new orleans jazz style but i was wondering if anyone new a site to find videos of him playing gigs and stuff like that. thanks in advance

Try: www.tipitinas.com (artists, bands, Galactic or GAT)
www.galacticfunk.com
www.garageatrois.com
www.vicfirth.com (search for his artist feature its an interview and him playing)

and, of course www.drummerworld.com.

I like the modern approach more, its more fun and slap happy etc. but the trad approach is really really good too. I wish I could get some o those songs onto my i pod to play along with.

Get all of Galactic's cd's. They make my day...and move my feet. DAMN good music!

Stanton Moore is one of my favorite drummers out there right now. He has such an awesome and fun groove, plus he's probably one of the nicest cats you'll ever meet. I had the oppurtunity of seeing Galatic live a few years ago and wow...just..wow. That HAS to be the most fun music to play ever!

"Sprung Monkey" is one of the funkiest beats in exsistence...

Right behind the half-time shuffle! Anybody know where I can find a tab?

Re: "Sprung Monkey" is one of the funkiest beats in exsistence...

If you get his dvd (the modern one) he explains the stickings. I own it but havent watched it in a long time so i kinda forget. But I do remember that it starts with the left hand if that helps hehe

ill check the dvd next chance i have (probably monday) and I'll get back to ya

I love his fills in that song too. Especially the one with the flams between tom and snare, really great phrasing!

Thinshells said:
Get all of Galactic's cd's. They make my day...and move my feet. DAMN good music!

I fell in love with Galactic last day of Jazzfest OUTSIDE at the old Mermaid about nine years ago. They're certainly top-five among the bands I've loved most in New Orleans the last 16 years.

So -- imagine my surprise when I find that Stanton Moore's giving a drum clinic here in Tulsa last night at The Music Store. ???

The clinic must have been an abridged version of his DVDs ... still, you don't know how it did my heart good to see him and hear him and enjoy myriad riffs from signaturely New Orleans sounds. I'm terribly homesick for my corner at Frenchmen and Chartres.

I got his Kooked album back when I realized he was at Fog City with Papa Mali, Robert Walter, MOFRO, et al. I'm tempted to get the DVDs for my Dad's birthday even though he doesn't actually play drums. When he heard I was going last night, he ticked off all these percussionists he'd loved back in the day (his father was bandleader and drummer 20s-50s), most of whom Moore mentioned at one point or another last night.

Sounds like the musicians really like the DVDs ... judging by the responses he got from the audience last night, I'm not surprised.

I'm wondering if they're so good they might be fun for someone like my Dad or me or whether another of his albums might be best for his birthday present. Couldn't hurt to have a CD of Kooked ... left my record at home.

All in all ... after last night and cruising the net today, I'm really pumped (but not surprised) to see how successful and well-known Moore's become. Sounds like Johnny's advice to hit the road rather than get stuck for good in our beloved city has held him in good stead. He put on such a great symposium last night ... the technical details and some of the vocab were over my head but his history and demos and personal details made for most entertaining evening.

I don't know if he does this sort of thing all the time but anyone who ever has the opportunity to attend one of these sessions is missing a bet if they don't go.

Rudy McRudster said:
I really do like Moore a lot. His style is very versatile and he always has a good groove going. I think his playing is so ideal because he doesn't do a lot of flashy fills but he has great pocket grooves he does.

He talked about that ... how simple and sweet were some of his go-to grooves.

"Like getting to know even more about a girl you love already ... hey! you do that too?!? Cool!"

pc7411 said:
the set list was long enough to prove that Stanton is one of the most versatile drummers alive.

As was the couple hour symposium last night ... I was stunned. You really take some of these guys and what they're doing for granted sometimes.

Well ... not really, but you know what I mean.

Does anybody know what is Stanton's teacher J.Vidacovich playing? I mean only the drum kit not the cymbals. Sorry for putting the question here, but Vidacovich doesn't seem to be popular on this forum;).

can't say drummerworld's lacking in videos, but why are there only 2 videos of Stanton? Would be nice to see him playing, for example, on MD Festival 2001 or on PASIC 2005... Bernhard, if you're reading this... think about it ;).

I would also like to see more vids of Stanton, although I have the dvd's and just can;t stop watching them!

To make things clear, I have the same problem with those dvd's - I just can't get enough of watching them:). And that's the point - I WANT MORE !!!:p

Hey folks, glad to see there's a good healthy thread on this man, absolutely great player.
Just wanted to say that I downloaded his Live in Chicago mp3's (3 disk album) from his website, and it is amazing!! Only $10.49 (or about £6 to us UK residents) for 15 tracks of brilliant stuff including a funky cover/medley of Good Times Bad Times/War Pigs! As well as the aforementioned Sprung Monkey.
I love it!
Hats of to Stanton the mighty!

Back