Remo vs Evans?

Peter W.

Gentlemen!

What's the difference between Remo vs Evans?

NOT: which do you prefer...
BUT: what is your experiences about the DIFFERENCES between the two brands (comparing equal heads with the same thickness and coating).

Where I live, Evans is a more expensive head. And I once heard, that Remo has got more tone, which I guess leaves Evans as a more controlled head?

Any comments?

lol, thats a bit of a sarcastic response.

Okay i can answer about the 2 companies with all that i know, but not that much experience comparing the heads myself.

Remo use less technology, have simpler designs, and more of a basic approach.
Some say they have better hoop tension and stay in tune longer. However, they dont seem to have as good quality control as evans. Coating wears quite quickly. Heads feel heavier than evans according to some people, but thicknesses are similar.

Evans are more influenced by technology, they have some better designs than remo (e.g. EC2 over pinstripe). Some say they generally have a darker, dryer tone than remo but it mostly depends on the specific head type. Quality control generally better. Longer lasting coating, heads feel slightly less tough (contreversial oppinion :S)

An evans head is normally more expensive than a remo head.

e.g. remo £10, evans £12, or about that ratio.

thats all i know, i dont know if others will agree, but this is just one 14-year old's knowledge!

:D

I have found that similar heads from the two companies are not a lot different, but there IS a difference in sound and feel. It is very subtle and hard to describe in words. To me, Remos feel (and sound) a bit livelier, and a bit less boxy than Evans.

I have heard TONS of stuff on the net about Evans being a more durable head, having more durable coating, better quality control, etc. All I can say is that my experiences don't show the Evans heads or coatings to be more durable; in fact, I have found them less durable when comparing the Genera snare drum heads to the coated Ambassador. However, their quality control is very good. I think Remo's quality control problems are perhaps overstated, though - at least, I've not gotten bad heads from Remo. Admittedly, I don't use many two ply heads, and that seems to be what I hear people complain about most. So, who knows.

Hope this helps.

i have to dissgree with the coating thing! if you rub your hand over a coated ambassador after you have used it for a couple of days it will feel pretty smooth, whereas my evans genera heads still feels rough after a week.

That's why I posted that my experience was different than many! I trust your observations, but I also trust mine. I think we just got different results.

I have two snare drums that I use with my kit, and I've done two side-by-side comparisons, changing heads the at the same time. The Evans heads simply wear faster for me - they also show a deeper "pit" after a given amount of time. Not an overwhelming sample, I know, but enough to convince me.

I think what it all shows is that different users are going to get different results. There is nothing like trying things out for yourself!

i did just check my genera, and it has worn smooth now, with a bit of pitting, just because i shared it with other bands at our last gig.

I will have to wait the full life of the head to see what happens.

I agree that different people will have different experiences, i didnt want to sound argumentative, i was just interested to know what circumstances you tested in. Its all part of the learning process :)

it may be all in my mind, but i too have my preferences:

toms - evans. Both the G1's and G2's just seem to carry a more projected, deeper tone than the ambassador/emporers. Also, i never have a problem tuning my evans heads -- but i can sometimes wrestle with the remos.

snare - remo. I have tried the G1 and HD dry from evans, but i personally find that nothing compared to a simple coated ambassador. Yes I do agree that the coating does typically wear faster than the evans, but the sound is what matters.

kick - neither. I am a fan of aquarian superkicks (one, two or three). I have tried the others but was not happy.

toms - evans. Both the G1's and G2's just seem to carry a more projected, deeper tone than the ambassador/emporers. Also, i never have a problem tuning my evans heads -- but i can sometimes wrestle with the remos.

snare - remo. I have tried the G1 and HD dry from evans, but i personally find that nothing compared to a simple coated ambassador. Yes I do agree that the coating does typically wear faster than the evans, but the sound is what matters.

kick - neither. I am a fan of aquarian superkicks (one, two or three). I have tried the others but was not happy.

I have to agree on the Aquarian superkicks (as well as the EMAD Evans - most sound engineers give me a bewildered look). I have staunchly used Remo for quite some time now with occassional forays into the other brands. Remo Ambassadors just produce the sound I am looking for right now.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw

Well based on my experience....behind the set I found more tone from the evans compared to remos. Though from a bit of a distance the remo's prevailed.

I think people just try around on brands and stuff and they find something that works for them and stick with it.
Theres no magical drum head that works for exactly every application and every drummer out there.

Idk i guess i was gettin a wee bit off topic there.

i really like the sound and idea of the EC2s and EMAD, and there's not a clear remo equivilant, so its evans for me. im still searching for the right snare head for me though

You compare G1/G2 with Ambassador/Emperor... this is one thing I've never understood: What's the diference between Evans G2/Remo Emperor and Evans EC2/Remo Pinstripe?

As i have found out from a thread i posted, G2's And Emperors are pretty similar. On the other hand, even though pinstripes and EC2's are both heads for a similar sound, EC2's are much better than pinstripes unless you want you drums to sound really dead.

But what's the diference? EC2, Pinstripe, G2 and Emperors are all 2 ply, so what is the diference between the EC2 and the G2, and the Emperor and pinstripe?

Oh, sorry osh!

G2's and emperors are just simply 2 plies of film which aren't glued together in any way.

In Pinstripes, the film is glued together at the edge (from the stripe outwards) to remove overtones.

The EC2's have a silver strip near the edge of the head, stuck to the underside, also to remove overtones.

ah! thanks a lot Rhyds.

remo is a great company however evans i feel has always been one step ahead....overall as far as sound goes they about even out remo is great for more tone full sounds and evans is perfect for warm beefy fat tones with quick decay however evans got this edge by making all their heads more durable so in order to have a response to evans success fans and company started admitting that evans were more durable but remo had the better sound so people believe that you have it one way or another and you cant be the best at both but i assure you trying different brands and models of heads on the same sizes drums and with precision tuning evans has turned out the best in every environment/situation

Back