Team Building in May!

I'm organizing a team building for our department team. We'll be having it this May and I'm both nervous and excited as this is the first that I've been given such a task. It's going to be in some posh resort. Three days and three nights. All expenses paid by our company. I'm in charge of all the planning, food, etc as I am the team leader. I've been trying to come up with games and activities that will interest my team. The focus is on communication styles so it's better if some of our activities relate to this.

Any recommendations, tips and advice on how I can give my team the best stress-free, fun and memorable team building of their lives? I'm also open to all suggestions when it comes to the games and activities? What do you think are good prizes and giveaways?

Last edited:
How big is your department? Are there any common things they like to do? Something that could pair a good player with a bad player? What does the resort offer? Some resorts provide planners for this sort of activity.

Since communication is the key, how about 2 - 4 person volleyball? You pick the teams based on comm skills, not game skills.

Trivial pursuit with massages from the spa as prizes?

Gifts, prizes? Gift cards, restaurant cards, movie passes...something they will use instead of something that gets stuffed in a drawer or clutters up a desk.

Whatever you do, don't do Laser Tag, paint-ball or that sort of thing. That can get ugly (been there)...

I'm organizing a team building for our department team. We'll be having it this April and I'm both nervous and excited as this is the first that I've been given such a task. It's going to be in some posh resort. Three days and three nights. All expenses paid by our company. I'm in charge of all the planning, food, etc as I am the team leader. I've been trying to come up with games and activities that will interest my team. The focus is on communication styles so it's better if some of our activities relate to this.

Any recommendations, tips and advice on how I can give my team the best stress-free, fun and memorable team building of their lives? I'm also open to all suggestions when it comes to the games and activities? What do you think are good prizes and giveaways?

San Diego would be a fun hang.

Wow. Thank you for your replies.
There are 30 of us going. Age ranges from 25-43.
I already coordinated with the resort for some of our activities. I asked them to buy the ingredients for our cookout too.
I also bought this so we can do something indoors. I'm hoping they'll like it.

Looks like you have it all under control :) Good luck on your team building, you are all very lucky to be in a company who takes care of their employees very well :)

I think you should rent several drumsets and have a big group lesson. Really, who doesn't want to learn how to play the drums? I've done group lessons and it's always been a fun thing.

Back