Mapex Meridian Birch vs Meridian Maple?

XdrumerboyX

Hi, can u please tell me which whould be a better kit for me?
heres what i like in a kit?

-loud
-cutting edge
-ALOT of attack
-ALOT of projection
-VERY little to NO resonance.
-a slayer sound?

Maple or Birch?

Without a doubt, Birch.

Birch is all about attack and projection. They cut and are loud.

The only negative would be that they tend to ring a little IMO.
But that can easily be fixed with good heads and/or Moongels.

Maple has a warmer and more rounded tone with more low end and seem to be a little less loud.

Oh, and Mapex Meridians are very nice kits for the money. You cant go wrong with either.

Last edited:
I would go with Birch for your music preference.
Maple can also pack a good punch.
Don't underestimate maple.
Maple is just as loud as birch but the tone in a bit warmer.

I just bought my Meridian Maple 6 piece Studioease Kit in May, and I am very happy with it. I changed a few things to suit my own style of playing. I replaced all the heads with Evans Hydraulic Blue Glass, and I replaced the stock 20 strand snare wires with Gibraltar 42 Strands to really open up the snare drum. I still get the warmth of Maple, but greater attack and less overtones from the snare. On the Kick, I added a double Evans patch, and a Gibraltar Double Click Pad over that. I now get just the sound I wanted, at a great price!
I also added an 8"x7" rack tom to the kit. My only complaint thus far is the length of time it took to get my 8x7. I'd say either Meridian kit will suit you just fine.

I know all the differences between maple and birch, but I also tried both kits side by side, and there's not big difference between them. the maple kit had a little bit more of tone and the birch was sharper with more attack , but the difference was very subtle.

Back