Best/Most Entertaining Drum Solo Videos

LudwigVntgMaple

I spent the afternoon “homing from work” on youtube in hopes of poaching some new styles from the best I could find online, and afterwards felt it would be kind to offer up the fruits of my labors. While my own style (5 piece with a single splash that gets hit every few months) is much more on the straightforward, Matt Cameron rock style, I can certainly appreciate these guys on a technical level. Extra points go to drummers who can pull it off during an actual song (Danny, Carter, etc)...

A few surprises thrown in there as well for good measure.

http://www.redux.com/playlist/most_entertaining_drum_solos

Wow, I sit corrected, and have added the pics to my definitive playlist in the making. Any recommendations from Fishman for that matter?

Yeah it is anything but musical, as I feel that the best way to appreciate a musician's talent is sonically rather than visually, plus the whole stick schtick is pretty gimmicky. Nonetheless it does take skill, and points for style probably do count in this game.

I added a few more to the collection too...

That's easy...

Neil Pearts' "Anatomy of a Drum Solo"

Period!

;-)

Yeah it is anything but musical, as I feel that the best way to appreciate a musician's talent is sonically rather than visually, plus the whole stick schtick is pretty gimmicky. Nonetheless it does take skill, and points for style probably do count in this game.

I added a few more to the collection too...

You're right that the best way to appreciate a musician's talent is sonically, but for an entertainer, you're looking at the whole enchilada. Audiences like to be wowed and they appreciate showmanship. In a studio setting, the visual stuff would be lost, but in a live setting, when the focus is on you during a solo, what the audience sees can be just as important to their enjoyment as what they hear.

Back