Burn out?

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Does anyone else get burn out, or have gotten burn out? How did you handle it?

I'm at the point where my frustration level is sky high. Enough almost to to say the hell with it and sell the drums. I don't need the bs and aggrivation from the past 6 months or so. For something that's supposed to be fun and I get warm fuzzy's from...it ain't happnin' now. Here's the latest incident.

This actually happened yesterday. How would you have handled this situation?

Same church gig...I get there bright and early at 8 am. I'm lucky if I have my socks on at that hour, if you know what I mean.

I take my usual place - in the drum booth - and begin putting my cymbals on the stands. I need to add here I bring my own cymbals because the church's set is, um, not quite as good as my "Pie - Stee" set.

We begin rehearsal and the first 2 songs go well. Since we have a number of groups come in and use the large room and sound equipment, we are continually having to adjust the Aviom mixers every rehearsal and service. So I'm adusting my mixer during a break between songs. Let me set this up properly: the guitar players are noodling around practicing various licks, the bass player arrived late and is playing and adjusting his mixer, some in the choir are talkng loudly and joking around - enough to be picked up in the mics. The piano player is talkng to someone.

So a normal, prudent person would assume it's okay to "test" the drums by playing less than 5 seconds to make sure the volume level is set right in his mixer, right? I have 2 overhead mics, one mic on the snare, one on the ride tom, and one on the floor, and one on the bass. I want to make sure I hear what I'm playing. I needed to tweek it, so to speak.

I play maybe all of 3 or 4 seconds, then stop playing and sit there waiting for the next song to start. I wait and I wait...not stiking a drum.

Minutes later, one of the sound techs walks up to my booth, opens the door and very rudely and in a very cocky-ass voice asks me:

"Would you NOT play the drums while Beth (the leader) is talking - we can't hear her."
I reply I'm simply testing to ensure my sound level is ok so I can hear the drums.
He then replies even cockier "Oh UNDERSTAND what you're doing...." He then shuts the door and walks back to the audio booth.

I'm sitting there speechless and totally shocked by his tone and cockiness.

So now to be an onery pissed off sumbitch - which I am at this point - I take the butt end of my stick, raise it above my head and strike the rim of the snare as hard as I can. Honestly, it felt great to relieve some of that built up anger. Not sure if anyone else saw it or not. I know the techs damn well heard it since all 4 of them looked in my direction.

Yet still, the choir was screwing around, guitar players were noodling around, and the bass was practicing his bass line - all before the next song.

So I ignore the guy and play around on the drums. I even open the booth door wide open. In part because I'm hot and in part because I want to be an ass and challenge him. "Come on, say something. Anybody."

Funny, but nobody from audio said anything else to me in rehearsal after that. Good thing because I'm not totally sure what I would have said. Good? Bad? Ugly?

So does this guy have an atttude about drums, or is just me being too damned sensitive? I did see him talk to his audio boss and the worship leader after rehearsal, but nobody yet has said anythin to me about it. The audio boss who is a great guy did sorta look at me as though he knew what was going on, but as yet he's not said anything.

I've chewed on this since it happend yesterday.

Tell him, "That's not very Christian of you to talk to me like that. I am a professional and I expect to be treated in a professional manner. If I feel that I need a little adjustment, then that's what I need to do because I'm a professional doing what needs to be done according to my professional opinion. And if you don't like it, then it must be because you must not have much experience working with real professionals". Or, just tell him to go pound sand.

Yep. Had a gut full several several years ago. Took a short break. Ended up enjoying my free time a little too much and as a result that lay off lasted 5 years or so. In that time, life got in the way. Married, mortgage, kid, new job that is far more demanding of my time and most importantly.......putting myself "out of the loop". None of which is conducive to me now just being able to pick up where I left off.

With the benefit of hindsight I'd give anything to go back to that time and make a concious decision to keep the break short. So much harder now to get back into a regular gig as I just don't have the time to commit. I know I'll get back into full swing eventually, but at present it does seem a ways off.

If you need to lay out for a bit, go for it......but do be mindful of how easily life sneaks up and gets in the way.

FWIW, I really don't see too much there that is so mind boggling you'd want to snatch it all though. I've followed all of your recent dilemmas. Annoying? Yes, for sure. Worth selling the drums over? That seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, for mine.

Rogue don't do it. It's always darkest before the dawn. When life gets tough, the tough get going. Keep your chin up. (I'm trying to think of every bad cliche I can.) You can't leave us story-less like this, think of the humorless-ness of this place.... When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

For me, anytime I've felt like giving up....something big was right around the corner. You need to hang tough, your resolve is being tested. I think a big payoff is forthcoming if you....just.... Keep on Truckin'!....(hey snuck another one in there!)

Why don't you start a band and have them come to you?

I'll give it to you straight up. PEOPLE HATE DRUMS!! They just think they are loud. So of course you were the first thing noticed. After everything you described the sound guy was probably already flustered because of all the BS going on around him while he tried to dial stuff in. You were the last straw. He probably thought oh great now the drummer is chimming in and he took his frustration out on you. Second of all you should have not added to the situation by opening your door and playing. That just made you look like a jerk in their eyes.

As a drummer and trust me I could write a whole thread on being disrespected by people on a gig just because I was the drummer, and heck I'm a respected drummer. Anyway, its gonna happen. Its the nature of the beast. But hey People hate drums, yea some people but the good news is girls love drums !!!!!!! hence drummers.

joe

I think your expecting them to act different than the rest of the world because they are a 'church'. I've played in praise bands before, its pretty bad I will tell you , churches in other parts of the world are different , the american ones, ehh.

Hey Rogue, have you thought about playing in a secular band? That way you have more choice about your musical associates. You might rediscover the fun.

Joe's right - drums are loud so they bug people more than other instruments. Guitarists, keyboardists and bassists can noodle away but we don't have the same luxury.

Rogue - I have been through the same exact experience, albeit in a church that wasn't as sophisticated (1 sound guy and no drum booth). In a praise band, you hit the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. For many years that is all I played, and I got so frustrated with sound techs, band directors, other musicians, etc. I'd either be really pumped to play, or have to drag myself reluctantly to church.

Polly nailed it right on the head - once I started playing simultaneously in a secular band, it relieved a lot of pent up pressure that I was experiencing. Now I seem to be much more relaxed and enjoy playing at church so much more. So much so that we formed our own praise band and started a new contemporary Thursday night service at a local church (that I eventually joined because the folks there are awesome).

Dealing with volunteers is very different than dealing with paid musicians. I've experienced a lot of both, and I've learned that you have to approach people differently, and expect different reactions from them.

I used to respect church musicians until I found out that they got paid for it (not all of them). WTF?

I have never been paid a dime, and I've been doing it for 20 years. The only church musicians I know that get paid are the music director and organist, and they don't get paid very much

A friend of mine is a trumpet player and he used to always get paid gigs at churches. Some of them may have been special services, like weddings, but I think he got paid to play in some regular services at Catholic churches as well. That always seemed odd to me.

I used to respect church musicians until I found out that they got paid for it (not all of them). WTF?

At the risk of derailing this thread (which I'll respond to in a moment), I wanted to address this. A lot of churches don't pay the musicians - they ask for volunteers as a ministry of the church. I have, like INOG, never been paid for my playing in church services - although it has led to paying gigs from people who saw me or recommended me based on that playing. I look at it as a tithe of my talent, rather than "playing for free".

Some churches (by no means all) compensate some or all of their musicians, but this is a church-by-church decision, and is informed by many factors, including size, budget, worship style, and availability of players. Likewise, some churches compensate their music pastors or directors, and some don't. Some churches feel very strongly against hiring "hired guns" to provide music, because they feel that the worship team should be members of the church body in order to correctly represent the body and convey the spirit (and Spirit) inherent in the worship. Other churches may choose to hire musicians (or sound techs, or media techs, or whatnot) based solely upon their ability. Again, this is a church-by-church decision.

As to the OP and his ongoing travails with this particular situation: Churches unfortunately are composed of human beings, and in many cases so are the worship teams. In addition, as a previous poster said, they are composed of volunteers as well. Egos clash, people show up to perform rather than to lead worship, and musical and technical abilites are all over the map. However, the fact that we as musicians may not be getting paid shouldn't prevent us from acting professional in the first place. Sound engineers should be responsive to the needs of the worship team without letting them walk all over them; musicians should be mutually respectful; and worship team leaders should work to make the team a harmonious ministry instead of a churning subsurface mass of tension. I have been on both kinds of teams, and usually a good, honest conversation with the worship leader or an associate pastor sets things straighter.

It seems that based on your experiences with this team, the worship leader might benefit from a simple comment along these lines: "I'm here volunteering my time because I feel strongly about sharing my time and passion for music to help our church worship. I'm concerned about how we approach that worship as a team." If it falls upon deaf ears, it's probably a clear sign that you might be better off looking for some other means of ministry.

And I do agree, having a band situation outside of church can be a great "pressure valve" to do the sorts of music that might not fit at the church.

I find that the people you play music with is the number one factor in your satisfaction playing music. I don't care how good the music is, or how popular the band is...if the people you are playing with irritate you, it will explode at some point.
If I can indulge a personal tale- about ten years ago I was in a very serious band that was talking to some labels, showcasing, and doing a lot of shows up and down the east coast. Also working full time as a daily journalist. My life was insane. I am talking getting home from gigs at 3-4 am, unloading our trailer and being at my desk at 8 am. Practicing three nights a week, traveling every weekend. Having work conversation on my cell literally as I was walking onstage. My burnout was severe. I started hating playing music and fighting with my bandmates.
One day I woke up, emailed the band members I was done, and just walked away. Everybody was angry and shocked. I felt guilty as hell but after a while it was a huge relief.
Long story short- now I am in a band with one guy from the old band, and the brother of another guy. I am great friends with all my old bandmates and really charged up to play music now after taking several years away from serious drumming.
What I am saying is there is nothing wrong with walking away. Keep it fun. We're only on this Earth for a short time...

You need to get in some of the stankass bars I worked in the 60s and have some drunk fool follow you around on a break telling you how great you are and when your coming back to the "dump" so he could tell his friends to come and meet me.......................................if something like a jerk tech wears you down don't try music as a living!! Anyway whats wrong with asking the tech after rehearsals why hes talking down to you? Maybe hes having an equally bad time as you. You could also explain that if he can't speak to you without an additute not to speak with you at all. Is this a paying gig? Doc

At the risk of derailing this thread (which I'll respond to in a moment), I wanted to address this. A lot of churches don't pay the musicians - they ask for volunteers as a ministry of the church. I have, like INOG, never been paid for my playing in church services - although it has led to paying gigs from people who saw me or recommended me based on that playing. I look at it as a tithe of my talent, rather than "playing for free".

And that's the kind of church musician I can respect.

When I was young, I had this image wherein church was a place where people got along, and the petty BS from the rest of life was put down in favor of people coming together for a common peaceful cause. I guess I watched too much TV as a kid.

As I grow and have more interaction and hear more of others interactions with various churches, I realize they're basically just businesses. As such, they carry all the politics, accountants, petty squabbles, and personal agendas you'd find in any company. I've seen people jostling for position and cutting throats for their next "promotion" that several other people want.

If you like playing with this group. You'll likely have to deal with this stuff. You're not playing for yourself, or even "for the music", you're playing for a cause, so to speak. You have to either be the "bigger man" and get over the crap that reality always dictates, (it won't stop) or simply go another direction. From my standpoint, you don't owe these guys anything.

I'm clueless most of the time, but am surprised while reading a Sabian cymbal catalogue that there are recommended cymbals for "Worship Music", as if it's a genre or type of music now. It's been given it's own name, up there with rock, metal, jazz, etc. How does a "worship" song sound any different than a pop/rock song, lyrics notwithstanding? Interesting though. I mean, I know a drummer shuoold be playing quieter in a place of worship. But other than that.....

At the risk of derailing this thread (which I'll respond to in a moment), I wanted to address this. A lot of churches don't pay the musicians - they ask for volunteers as a ministry of the church.

I don't agree, most churches ,at least in America, always pay the worship leader, whether they are solo or with a band that volunteers , which I don't understand that reasoning. They usually get paid more than you would think too, and on top of that their skill level is not that good.

I don't agree, most churches ,at least in America, always pay the worship leader, whether they are solo or with a band that volunteers , which I don't understand that reasoning. They usually get paid more than you would think too, and on top of that their skill level is not that good.

I addressed that in my second paragraph. In the line you quoted, I was referring to the musicians who are not the worship leader or director.

Also, your second line implies that you have a very extensive and comprehensive knowledge both of the average talent level of music directors for churches across the country, and their personal salary levels, which I tend to doubt. It is no more accurate to make this sort of generalization regarding worship leaders than it is to make a generalization that all rock musicians are on drugs or worship the devil. I don't discount any personal experiences with worship leaders that you may have had, but they cannot support your broad claim.

I have played in worship teams at four consecutive churches where the worship leader at the time received no compensation for his or her services (although one was on salary for his work as an associate pastor).

Without being there at the rehearsal it's hard to say who wronged whom, but this post along with your other one about the annoying guy at the church dinner makes me wonder if perhaps you have some anger issues you need to resolve. I will admit that I have played worship while being mad at somebody on the music or tech team. Perhaps the tech was having a bad day, perhaps the guy at the dinner was just obnoxious, or perhaps they are just responding to the angry energy they feel from you? You gotta admit, throwing open the door and playing as loud as you can while glaring at the sound guy is pretty passive aggresive behavior. Maybe the incident of you testing your mics was just the last straw in what the sound guy sees as your bad attitude? We go to church to try and get close to our creator and to try and be more like Him. This includes having an attitude of peace. As Jesus said in the sermon on the mount, "blessed are the peace makers." Maybe a more appropriate response when he asked you to stop testing your mics would have been, "yeah, I guess it's pretty annoying when we all are noodling like this." A smile and an acknowledgement of what he is feeling will go a long way into having him look the other way when you do something that annoys him. Just as he could have said, "everybody is noodling, can you hold it down while so and so is talking." That probably would have made you feel better about him. We are all striving to be more Christ like, otherwise we wouldn't be going to church. Just follow the advice of the previous poster and be the better man.

Back