When you just play for yourself. . .

mandrew

Gold Member
There are times when I just want to pick up the sticks and just play something for my own pleasure to pass the time. No pressure, not practice, just fun and relaxing. At those times, just like to open a rudimental solo book and play along at "march tempo" on a single snare drum. To me, this is pure drumming! Just swinging along, imagining marching in a parade! What do you all like to play when you just want to relax and let loose?

I once read a thread here, or maybe it was a video, anyways it said to sit down and just play anything. Take those first notes you play, no matter what and repeat them. Then make a solo out of it. It great solo practice and is often hugely good fun because the most random things will pop out of your head. Also very good for thinking melodically. Sometimes its a march, or tribal, or jazzy, but you don't get stuck on forcing rudiments, they just pop out in cool new ways that fit whatever style you are in.

I call them creative brain dumps........ Sometimes it's necessary and so relieving to only needing to be in your own moment. I tend to take the last 5-10 minutes of every practice session and do this.

I call them creative brain dumps........ Sometimes it's necessary and so relieving to only needing to be in your own moment. I tend to take the last 5-10 minutes of every practice session and do this.

I call them Braincramps.....

Back