Deciding on Album Artwork?

DsDrummer

This is more music related than drum related so I' not sure if this is in the right section, but how is it done? I'm going to start recording an EP and i need an Album Cover. In the industry, how is this decided upon? What is catchy to the eye that will attract listeners to actually want to listen? And so forth?

Thanks for the input, and if this is in the wrong spot, I'm sorry in advanced.

DAN

I think that's a pretty personal choice... Know any artist friends? Have em mock up some stuff and let the band check it out!

What is catchy to the eye that will attract listeners to actually want to listen?

The Beatles' "White Album". Metallica's "Black Album" And Led Zeppelin releasing In Through The Out Door in a brown paper bag, probably debunk the theory that a flashy album cover alone will get people to listen.

That said, I may never have heard Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast if it wasn't for the album cover appealing to my 13 year old senses either.

In advertzing sex appeal and hi impact/disturbing/offensive images worked for decades.
But i suggest you be purer, and use images that represent your band or it music.
A good art designer can help. If you're starting out and have no dough to commissions somebody, any bandmates girlfriend or boyfriend or 'art school' might be helpful.

The Beatles' "White Album". Metallica's "Black Album" And Led Zeppelin releasing In Through The Out Door in a brown paper bag, probably debunk the theory that a flashy album cover alone will get people to listen.

Well, those bands already had rabid fan bases, so I think it's hard to compare DsDrummers situation with some of the most influential bands of the last 50 years haha. My 2 cents: pick something classy that won't "offend the senses." Look at bands that influenced you whose artwork you like and go from there. But don't be flashy for the sake of being flashy.

I will tell you that the guys in my band fought for months about the album artwork. In fact its still a touchy subject to this day. We ultimately decided that we could all live with a picture the guitarist liked so we paid the photographer for the rights to use it. I think it is important for the album art to reflect the band asthetic. A death metal band with a nice bright picture of a rainbow on the cover probably doesnt send the right message.

I'm not sure what style of music you play but it shouldn't matter... An idea I got from the black metal project Burzum was to use out of copyright paintings, and that's what I've done for my demo and my upcoming solo album. Find a painting you like that's maybe a couple of hundred years old and there you go!

Just find some artwork that you and the other band members like.

Yep.

Unless there is a specific tie-in to the band's music, members, concept or target audience, album art is completely subjective. Try not to think too hard about it, whatever direction pleases the band is probably the right one. Keep in mind that not every visual is acceptable in society - or on a music-seller's web site - and shock value is probably not going to do well for you.

Bermuda

Do you have a theme in mind?

Covers can relate to the title track:

paul-mccartney-beatles-sgt-peppers-signed-album-cover-w-vinyl-psadna-q02360_6311ff9142c6c1fd708673631ad63981.jpg

Or reflect the vibe of the album:

darkside.jpg

or the general vibe of the band and/or zeitgeist

IMG_1436.JPG

the band on location:

who.jpg

Moody closeup

226.jpg

minimalist

Coldplay-XY.jpg

and inexpensive

covermidnightoilic7.jpg

or cryptic

zap_king8.jpg

whimsical

Beefheart_shinybeast.jpg

psychedelic

il_340x270.277252358.jpg

funny

mothersofin_weaselsri_101b.jpg

um ... unselfconscious

117.jpg

I think this interesting. Do people even look at album art anymore? With physical media quickly fading away.

I’ve always loved album art, but to me those days are long gone. They definitely don’t influence my purchases anymore. Yes, at one point I did not buy Boston’s first album due to what I considered cheap, bad album art. Uh, I was wrong.

Have fun with it, yet don’t get wrapped around the axle about it. Don’t over think it. Choose something that works for all in the project. Really, customers won’t give the cover art credit for a buy or pass.

Edit: On a side note, the one genre of Album art (not posters or promotional material) I would avoid is using a picture of the band. This is especially an overused choice... Unless you're Funkadelic or GWAR. Uh, wait, pictures of GWAR are tiring.

Last edited:
Back