Any punk drummers that anyone likes?

agoo750

My personal favorites would have to be brooks wackerman (hott potty, bad religion) tony palermo (pulley) paolo (beerbong) and todd henning (death by stereo)

I beleive all of these drummers are a lot better than 5 or 6 drummers that are on drummerworld.com. And whats sickening is that they arn't!

Anything to add about these 4?

the.tree said:
Meh the Pulley guy really isn't special. however i am a pulley fan.

You dont think so? I think the last two albums (the ones that he plays on) althought not a lot of complex stuff, the way the music is, he knows a lot of beats and styles taht go one with each s ong, and he makes of them sound really good. I figure that is a good indication of a how good a drummer really is. But thats just me.

P.S. I do think hes better than travis barker :)

AvengedDrummer said:
Derek Grant from Alkaline trio is one of the best punk drummers out there IMO.

I second that. I also like his playing a lot, and their last two albums - the only ones he plays on - are very good. I don't know how popular they are, but they're worth a try if you don't know them.

Well-placed fills, nice use of cymbals, and a solid backbeat. He is very good.

Eric Ghint from NOFX.

And Moonchild:
Punk drumming can get pretty tough, partly because it can get really fast. It might be simple beats sped up, but try playing along to NOFX's "the decline" and don't forget the gatorade!

I'm not really into punk anymore, that was more during high school, but I still like the stuff I used to listen to like Propaghandi and Strung Out.

Oh, yeah, Josh Freese. He's a punk drummer and just about any kind of drummer he wants, lol

Robo, Bill Stevenson, the dude who played on 'Red Tape' by Circle Jerks....It's true there's not much technique to the style, it's all about endurance and hitting as hard as possible. Punk is supposed to be sloppy & out of control anyway, that's what makes it punk. Imagine old school Misfits with a really good drummer on it, wouldn't be the same....

earl hudson, i believe that his name, of the bad brains. this guy practicaly invented thrash style drumming

whoever was playing drums in DRI

minor threats drummer was really solid and fast

drummer of siege

the drummer of the band his hero is gone. not being technically amazing,but was very creative and really good with the slower later "monument to thieves" album

cant forget discharge

kudos for mentioning Todd Hennig of Death by Stereo man, I wish more people knew about him, really amazing style. Jon Sortland of Cigar is absolutely incredible, super fast and tight, with very creative fills and drums, check out the clips at http://www.cigartheband.com

Also check out Bomer Manzullo (RIP) of RKL, he really pushed punk rock drumming to the next level in the 80s. www.rkl.com

This is the worst part about Drummerworld. Even Grant Collins (look him up on this very site, the most amazing Aussie drummer, and my teacher) said something along the lines of "It's great when I teach you, because you are all about the music. A lot of my students are really technically proficient drummers, but they don't wanna talk about anything except for really complex jazz and stuff. Sometimes you just need a good 4 piece kit and rock the xxxx out".

That's exactly what punk is all about. Attitude, style, complexity within simplicity, playing for the song, not to show off your chops.

So many morons on this board come here and rag out punk drummers entirely, because they don't get it. That's ignorance, plain and simple. Far too many people take pride in their ignorance.

There are so many amazing punk drummers out there, for varying reasons. Tastefulness, speed, attitude, style. These are attributes that ANY drummer out there needs to possess to take that leap from "Very proficient drummer" to "Amazing drummer". Just because you don't understand the greatness of simplicity, and more importantly, the ability to play just for the music, don't rag it out. Punk is just as much a genre as everything else, so don't rag on dudes because they don't have a 15 piece drumkit and play in some bizarre time signature like Portnoy or Carey. They're great, but so are these guys.

That said, my favorites:

Derek Grant from Alkaline Trio - pure style, tastefulness, just amazing to watch and listen to
Drummer for Alexisonfire - more of an emo band I guess, but still, this guy plays HEAVY music, but he plays it with so many different influences, it's just an assault on your senses
Warren from Against Me! - The best goddamn band on the planet. 4 piece kit, Ride, Hi-hats, nothing else. So very simplistic, but anything else would be a travesty, as it would RUIN the music. This guy is like a big, bearded ball of energy, and while what he's playing is fairly simple, he plays it FEROCIOUSLY. Amazing
Drummer from The Descendents - This guy is awesome. Plays your standard punk fare... but just a little more complex, a little more proficient. In my opinion, replace the drummer and bassist from this band, and they wouldn't have come very far at all. They make the band.
Dangerous Darrin - Goldfinger - This guy was right up there for the best punk drummer of 2005 in MD, and it shows. His kit resembles a metal kit more than a punk kit, and sometimes, he plays it like one! The guy brings so much to the table for the band, it's incredible. Great fills, great sense of time / speed for the music, and some awesome double bass work where you just wouldn't expect it. Creative, and HILARIOUS to watch too!
Good Riddance Drummer - Speed and ferocity. Like a big ball of hate behind the kit. Excellent hand speed, excellent fills, just brutally quick.
Josh Freese - The Vandals - ...Do I need to explain myself? It's Josh Freese ferchrissake!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like avail, paint it black, kid dynomite, alkaline trio, and hot water music. and although many feel that this genre of music is easy, it's just about having a great time. the great punk drummers do what is key, and that is FIT THE MUSIC.

I play a lot of punk and you can judge my playing...

www.myspace.com/etceteraband

I also played for a professional wedding band in New York City for 5 years, so to judge a drummer for playing on a record that is a specific style is unfair to the musician. They are just doing what they enjoy...I'm sure many punk drummers don't record with punk bands because they want to be known as the best drummer ever, they do it 'cause they love it.

Back