Is your drumming so intense you need to use the hick maneuver to keep blood in your brain?

MrPockets

Gold Member
Nope, but people always think I do because of the facial expressions I make. Instead of embarrassing myself, I usually play along and say I do use the hick maneuver to prevent passing out on stage.

Save me the Google search - what the heck is the hick maneuver?

Made me chuckle :)

I'm not sure if I make any facial expressions while playing (although I probably do, haha), but during the past few months I've noticed I'm unwillingly making little grunts, or noises while playing some partiuclarly hard, or groovy parts. For some reason my brain decides to activate the vocal chord... Perhaps I'm occupying enough mental capacity with the drumming to make the body control suffer! Oh well, as long as I don't have to keep the heart and breathing going manually I'm happy.

I've noticed quite a few pianists do this as well, the studio recording of Hiromi Uehara's "Haze" comes to mind, you can hear a little "huuumm" here and there :)

When I play very fast the g-force pulls the skin back on my face and it begins flapping like I'm being hit by a strong wind. Like trying to breath with your head out the window of a speeding car. Guess I should learn this hick maneuver.

G-forces. My drumming is so intense that I need a bladder suit like fighter pilots use to push the blood back into my organs. But I can't find a tux model for society gigs...

Perhaps all of our practice rooms should come with those g-force centrifugal spinner things that astronauts use. Ya know, just because we might need to be able to deal with black and white outs or red haze in extreme gig conditions.

ohhh...to be the first band to play WHILE launching into space...

...that would take some training...

3 Gs while drumming...eeekkkk....

Hell yes!

And drumming in space... I wonder how much zero g would affect our playing? Probably not a lot but oh well.

No, but I do dislodge the headphones once in a while. And I hit myself in the tooth a couple days ago. Does that count?

Back