Good Online Drum Shops?

KlarkKent

Does anyone have experience with any really good, well respected online dealers? Are Midwestpercussion.com, Drummersuperstore.com, any good, for example?

Not really interested in guitar center or musicians friend.

Thanks for any tips.

I would say that it can depend a lot on what you're looking for. Sometimes a particular dealer (or dealers) will specialize in a couple of brands and be able to provide better service, pricing, unique finishes, etc.

For example, I think Drummersuperstore is pretty well known as a Mapex Dealer. If you're looking for Gretsch, perhaps Steve Maxwell or Fork's Drum Closet. If you want Yamaha or Ludwig, try the Drum Center of Portsmouth. The same thing could be said for (some) cymbal lines. I think you catch my drift.

If you're looking for more run-of-the-mill purchases (hardware, heads, etc) then just about anywhere would be suitable.

My only experience with Midwest was back in the late 1990s making my first high-end cymbal purchases and it was a mixed bag. Got a couple right away and took months to get the others, despite being assured that they would "ship soon." If you do enough research you'll find plenty of people who are happy with Midwest and plenty who hate them.

I've heard great things about Dale's Drum shop and his prices on certain things can't be beat. A few years back a lot of guys raved about massmusic.net A friend in Cali likes Bentley's Drum shop. Forks Drum Closet in Nashville is highly regarded. There are so many, may want to pick the ones closest to you. Midwest has 15% off coupons all the time and John is a great guy to deal with.

Memphis Drum Shop and MyCymbal.com are both great options as well. I've ordered from them both a couple of times now, and they have fantastic customer service, as well as selection of gear.

I believe Rupps and Massmusic are related.

Interstate music, while not a drum only retailer.. has a great selection and super knowledgeable staff. I highly recommend them!

I know you said you didn't want Musician's friend, but I highly recommend them. I've had very good experiences with them all around! They messed up an order of mine only once, they gave me one pair of sticks too few. I called and the were shipped out immediately, no questions asked. Also, another store online had a deal where you got some free stuff with a purchase of monitors. I called Musician's Friend, and not only did they match the price and throw in the extra gear that the other place offered, they knocked $50 off. I'm a fan!

I know you said you didn't want Musician's friend, but I highly recommend them. I've had very good experiences with them all around! They messed up an order of mine only once, they gave me one pair of sticks too few. I called and the were shipped out immediately, no questions asked. Also, another store online had a deal where you got some free stuff with a purchase of monitors. I called Musician's Friend, and not only did they match the price and throw in the extra gear that the other place offered, they knocked $50 off. I'm a fan!

Same for me on MF. I ordered a padded keyboard case and it arrived and looked like the fork lift truck stuck the fork right through it. The paid for return shipping no problem and give me an immediate credit. I love to support local thought, however, sometimes its faster to order online.

Been ordering from MF for a decade and have never had an issue. Have had good experiences with Midwest Percussion as well.

Musicians Friend is doing 15% off right now, Midwest always is and offers substantial gift certs with most kits. I just prefer the best price up front rather than money towards the next purchase.

For parts and accessories I have had good luck with Music 123 they have a store on amazon and on ebay and also got good deals from drumfactorydirect.com

Last edited:
I bought a snare from Steve Weiss for $149. Everyone else had it for $224, I mean everyone.

Haven't bought anything since but if you know what you want you might check to see if they carry it.

Back