Aquarian Vintage Drumheads

I picked up a set of medium thickness Aquarian Vintage heads, and they sound terrific on my old Gretsch jazz kit. They have a shorter, dryer and lower tone that really does seem to resemble the sound of calfskin. I got the bass drum head with the strip of felt glued to it. It sounds terrific. I noticed, too, that the heads don't make that cracking sound when you're tightening them.

I noticed, too, that the heads don't make that cracking sound when you're tightening them.

That's because of Aquarian's Saf T Loc (I think that's the name). Because of the way the head is glued into the collar it doesn't need seating like other heads. The cracking is the breaking of the glue. Aquarian's design avoids that. Good stuff, those Aquarians.

The aquarian drumheads also have a patented design in that the drumhead has a bit more clearance with the collar so that it sits perfectly flat on the rim. The rest of the companies have it at an angle.

I can tell you that classic clears sound warmer than clear ambassadors and g1 clears. They are also less plasticky sounding.

Aquarian tom head sounds video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot31HbyOlWE&feature=related

Last edited:
I have the Modern Vintage version on one of my snare and I agree absolutely sonderful sounding head. With those head you hear the drum instead of the head, they are what is best on the market for emulating calfskin.

I have the Modern Vintage version on one of my snare and I agree absolutely sonderful sounding head. With those head you hear the drum instead of the head, they are what is best on the market for emulating calfskin.

Do they sound as dry as fiberskyns?

I agree: the Modern Vintage medium weight heads are fantastic, especially for jazz tone. I've used them on Yamaha kits and Saturn kits, and they consistently give an excellent bop sound. The Aquarian Jack DeJohnette heads are also good. I definitely think Aquarian has got better quality than Remo, for sure.

Back