Teflon Tape

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Hi,
Any of you use teflon tape on your tension rods to help prevent de-tuning? I only need it on one of my floor toms. I have used lug locks in the past and i'm not crazy about them. I know they also make tight screw with the plastic sleeve thing in the middle to grab and hold but my guess is the teflon tape is really the same idea as the tight screw? Also teflon tape is so cheap and you can clean it off the rods and remove it from the lug if you had to. Just curious.

I had to use some on the strainer that is on my Supralite--the same strainer that NO ONE ELSE seems to ever have an issue with of course.

Seems to have done the trick, so I would imagine it will work for a tension rod too.

Thanks Karl, worth a shot, don't think it will hurt anything either.

It works. I used Teflon tape for a while, but then switched to loc-tite. The Teflon tape got on my nerves whenever I had to change heads.

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work. IF you decide to use loc tite (not sure I'd want to use it on my drums) make sure you use the blue and not the red otherwise changing heads will be more of a chore than you may like.

At some point, I would do an actual repair and replace the nut in the lug that takes the tension rod, or replace both. If it's only happening to one rod, then there's a problem with how it's machined since the rest of them work. Tension rods are cheap, and you may be able to get new tension rod nuts at www.drumfactorydirect.com

Hmm, I never thought to use Tef tape as a de-tuning aid. Pretty clever idea.

While Loc-tite probably works good, I imagine it would affect the tuning key/rod feel. I prefer a smooth tuning rod experience so I can feel by turning how much tension is on the head.

I always thought someone should make a locking lug, but that would really drive up the cost of things.

Does anyone use a nut on their rod? (boy if that doesn't sound too off color...)

You know, screw a nut on your rod (OMG I can't stop!) then put the male end of the rod into the waiting female receiver, (I'm just going with it at this point) tune the drum, then tighten the nut down the rod to the lug to lock the tuning. You'd have to wrench it slightly. Maybe even use a 2nd for insurance. Still it's problematic for re-tuning. But it really should work on the problem lugs, like the one you rimshot right over. (Was any of this good for anyone????)

I have replaced the tuning screws already with some Yamaha screws I had, also replaced the metal washers with nylon washers and the floor tom still de-tuned after playing Wipeout (I hate that f'n song) I will be trying out some Evans coated G2's this week and will apply the teflon tape at that point and see what happens.

As always thanks for the great feedback.

Might be worth just replacing the lug then if you've tried a new lug screw

Just an update. I used some teflon tape on my floor tom and so far it's holding up very well. Just a strip around the bottom of the screw.

Back