Evans magnetic drum key?

Liaztraht

Silver Member
Great concept and everything, but has anyone other than me had trouble with it being to big for their tension rods?
I just recently picked one up, along with some new heads, and it just spins around the head of the tension rods on my tama snare...

Great concept and everything, but has anyone other than me had trouble with it being to big for their tension rods?
I just recently picked one up, along with some new heads, and it just spins around the head of the tension rods on my tama snare...

The only problem I have with them is on my Tama drums and I've tried a few of the Evans Magnetic keys and they all do the same. I really believe that the heads on the Tama tension rods are just a bit undersized. These same keys work well on my other kits.

Dennis

my other drum keys work just fine, that is when i don't lose them

The only problem I have with them is on my Tama drums and I've tried a few of the Evans Magnetic keys and they all do the same. I really believe that the heads on the Tama tension rods are just a bit undersized. These same keys work well on my other kits.

Dennis

i have an evans torque key (which has the magnets in it too) and it fits 100% on my starclassic AND my fibrestar...

Maybe its because im a Remo guy...

I've never had an issue with the Evans magnetic key being too large for a tension rod but they must be large than other drum keys. I have one of the Evans DARA key chain adapters http://www.rainbow-music.hr/?p=2806 hanging in my stick bag and have noticed that other keys are too small to fit on it.

Dennis

That's a bit ironic, seeing as Tama kits are the only ones that come with Evans heads as stock. You'd think that if any drum key was going to fit Tama rods perfectly, it would be an Evans key :)

That's a bit ironic, seeing as Tama kits are the only ones that come with Evans heads as stock. You'd think that if any drum key was going to fit Tama rods perfectly, it would be an Evans key :)

good point lol, but Gretsch comes with them to, or at least the Catalinas i know come with them.

im an aquarian guy ;)

I was aquarian for a long time, but their kick heads didn't have enough volume, a powerstroke 3 fixed it, and right now i use a vintage A on my snare and vintage Emperors on my toms, but i would gladly switch between those and a high energy and performance IIs any time.

Im just wanting a bit more open tone now, but its bound to change.

and i wont use evans heads their g1 and g2 heads where dead in any tuning range, and the ec2 snare head rang more than an ambassador, and emads are good, but not very sturdy... and then the key issue!

i get plenty of volume out of my superkick 2 :)

hmmm weird, i broke the first layer of sk IIs just trying to get volume, and a regular sk sounded like a canon on my first kit, but that was about it.

Well to each their own, though i would like to get another high energy, gonna have to order one because no one carries a 13 incher -.-

and another drum key

Actually some of the Gretsch kits also come with first quality Evans heads such as the New Classics and Renowns. If Evans would also make Tama's tension rods, all the Evans keys would probably work.

Dennis

i have an evans torque key (which has the magnets in it too) and it fits 100% on my starclassic AND my fibrestar...

The Evans Torque key and the Evans magnetic key are two separate entities. I also have the "torque key" and it's fairly secure on my Tama Starclassic Bubinga rods and also my Tama Artworks maple snare. The straight Evans magnetic key will just basically spin on the Tama rods.

As I first stated, I believed that the Tama rods were a bit undersized, and after measuring them and comparing them to my other kits, I am correct in that statement. I also measured the inside of three keys with a set of digital calipers, and the Evans Magnetic key has the largest opening at .246 inches or 6.25 metric. The Evans Torque key has an opening of .243 or 6.19 mm and the supplied Tama key is the smallest at .226 inches or 5.75 mm.

This is why the Evans Magnetic key will not contact the four walls of the Tama tension rods with enough accuracy to be able to put enough pressure on the tension rods without the key just turning freely over the rod's head.

Dennis

The Evans Torque key and the Evans magnetic key are two separate entities. I also have the "torque key" and it's fairly secure on my Tama Starclassic Bubinga rods and also my Tama Artworks maple snare. The straight Evans magnetic key will just basically spin on the Tama rods.

As I first stated, I believed that the Tama rods were a bit undersized, and after measuring them and comparing them to my other kits, I am correct in that statement. I also measured the inside of three keys with a set of digital calipers, and the Evans Magnetic key has the largest opening at .246 inches or 6.25 metric. The Evans Torque key has an opening of .243 or 6.19 mm and the supplied Tama key is the smallest at .226 inches or 5.75 mm.

This is why the Evans Magnetic key will not contact the four walls of the Tama tension rods with enough accuracy to be able to put enough pressure on the tension rods without the key just turning freely over the rod's head.
Dennis

WOO thanks for the info :)
But i thought everything was supposed to me universal?
Hopefully evans isn't like that with both of the japanese companies, because im looking into some Yamahas right now xP

WOO thanks for the info :)
But i thought everything was supposed to me universal?
Hopefully evans isn't like that with both of the japanese companies, because im looking into some Yamahas right now xP

The Evans magnetic key works fine on my Yamaha drums.

The Evans magnetic key works fine on my Yamaha drums.

As they also do on mine. My Yamaha tension rod heads are .219 inches, where my Tama tension heads are .208 inches. The Evans Magnetic key does not slip at all on my Yamaha drums.

DSC_0089-1.jpg

Dennis

I bought one from Musicians Friend, it made a great fridge magnet...

I was changing heads on my new drums when about six lugs through, the magnetic key sucked up the rod and then when it was turned, it got stuck hexagonally, yeah, so it was stuck wedged into the drum key. I first tried pulling it, then slamming it, forcing it out with tools, it didn't come out. After two weeks of trying intermittently I called MF and they refunded me the money without me having to ship it back. I threw it away! I thought it was a waste but I tried everything I could and my lug still wouldn't come out!!

I use these badge holders from work for my keys and hang them on my cymbal stands. Always there when I need them. Sorry to get off subject.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 604
Back