Would paint on a drum skin effect the sound?

Nake

Im contemplating spraying a couple of my favourite brands logos onto my snare skin.

Has anyone done this, or knows if it screws the sound?

Im contemplating spraying a couple of my favourite brands logos onto my snare skin.

Has anyone done this, or knows if it screws the sound?

Why?

Yes it will but you won't notice it more than likely. It will however start coming off or chipping from just the vibration over time not to mention the times you mis-hit the paint job with a stick. You could however make a .jpg file and have a graphics shop make you some decals.. Just a suggestion.

I've seen setlists written on them with sharpie, never paint though. And Nodiggie is right, paints light so prob not a lot of difference.

So let me see if I've got this right. You want to paint your heads?
It's always encouraging to see young musicians who have their priorities in line.

Ummm... I'm not sure where on earth we're getting the idea that spray paint is not heavy enough to affect the head. Spray paint is pretty solid, especially if you get a bunch of it on there. A better bet is to use colored sharpies or pencils (not too sharp).

A good number of years ago, I picked up a used Ludwig set that used to belong to a high school. It still had the high school's mascot painted on the reso head. Well, I was poor at the time and couldn't afford a new head, but didn't want the bloody mascot on the front of my drums, so I gave the head to my mother (she's an artist), who painted the whole thing black with a nifty personalized logo for me. It didn't resonate for crap (oil based paints are extremely heavy), but it certainly looked cool. I now have that head displayed in my music room.

It's always encouraging to see young musicians who have their priorities in line.

I painted one of my old heads (not spray, the actual thick paint :p) about a year ago, it took about 6 minutes and was a bit of fun. No big deal.

How did you get those companies to pay you for advertising for them?

Haven't tried it and won't but coated heads are warmer than clear so I'm thinking painted heads would sound different. Paint not only adheres to what is painted but to itself so it you put a blanket of paint on a drum it has to sound somewhat different.

let me see if i got this straight. you're on here, a 40 or 50 year old guy, giving some young kid a hard time? It's always nice to see people with their priorities straight.

p.s. try using sharpies (they have a bunch of colors) i would think that the paint would flake off pretty quickly.

Back