I woke up with THIS song in my head:

Smoke

Silver Member
Hopefully, I'm not the only living being with a permanent MP3 player in my head. I wake up with a different song every morning and occasionally am kept awake by an unbidden tune.

Today, it was The Go-Gos "Our Lips are Sealed." I'm not sure what I did to deserve that. Thankfully it wasn't Toni Basil's "Hey Mickey."

One morning a few years ago, I woke up to Van Halen's, "Jump." The song stuck in my head through my entire morning routine - breakfast, shower, TV news - the whole thing. I 'jumped' in the car (sorry) and snapped on the radio - "Jump" was playing in perfect synchronization with the song in my head!

Never happened before and hasn't happened since.

Does anybody else have a personal on-board MP3 player? Or tube radio, open reel deck, 8-track, cassette deck, turntable, etc., as appropriate. ;-)

Yes, I get that happening to me every once in a while. What's even weirder, is when I'm in sync with my wife like that - we both have the same tune in our heads and it's only revealed when one of us breaks out vocally with the song - cue spooky music.

My big problem is getting that one pesky tune out of my head.

I have the good fortune to have been blessed with what I affectionately call "Brain Radio". Many people have it. Some people listen to covers all day. I like to play around with it and just listen to progressions and pull out the interesting bits. When something grabs me, I play it out on guitar and drums so I don't forget it.

Half the time, the 'original' stuff turns out to be a derivative of some popular song. For example, here's a progression which I later recognized to be a derivative of an extremely popular song by The Knack.

I love playing out ideas on the ditto-pedal, as it allows me to build up a huge collection of song fragments for later use. I also like to be able to try out different rhythms and concepts on top of the loop, as it exercises both my playing and imagination. It sure beats a metronome.

Fun stuff.

Thanks...now that song is in my head.

Sorry Brady, didn't mean to do that maliciously - a buddy "Hey Mickey'd" me a while back, and it got stuck for the better part of a day. It is kind of funny though!

I love playing out ideas on the ditto-pedal, as it allows me to build up a huge collection of song fragments for later use. I also like to be able to try out different rhythms and concepts on top of the loop, as it exercises both my playing and imagination. It sure beats a metronome.

Ditto-pedal sound like a cool toy. I'm a guitar hack - with 10 cowboy chords, the ditto-pedal wouldn't be much use.

My big problem is getting that one pesky tune out of my head.

Mitch I have an app for that. Try thinking of a totally different song, in a different style. After a while it cancels out.

Yes, I get that happening to me every once in a while. What's even weirder, is when I'm in sync with my wife like that - we both have the same tune in our heads and it's only revealed when one of us breaks out vocally with the song - cue spooky music.

I hear you. That happened to me once. I was driving around town with a buddy of mine (keyboardist). When had been listening to some Zappa earlier. Anyway, it's perfectly quiet in my car and we both, in near perfect unison, sing a line from Greggery Peccary, the one where Greggery is in the office and the chorus goes "yoo-yoo yoo yoo-yoooo". We just stopped and looked at each other. It was freaky. Obviously there was something that cued us both to start thinking of the song at the same point at the same time, and for whatever reason, we both vocalized that line.

04:15 this morning. David Bowie's "Modern Love." Still had 30 minutes until the alarm went off. Didn't need it today - I just got up. But I never wave bye-bye...

On the commute to work, I tried like the dickens to replace the tune. A new tune finally stuck when I hit Klaatu's "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft." Probably haven't heard the song since 1977.

I think I'd be better off with "Modern Love."

Back