Ludwig Epic vs. Ludwig Element Lacquer

91rtstealth

does anyone have either one of these drumsets? If so, is it worth spending the little extra for the Epic, cuz honestly I like the black hardware on the Element Lacquer...

anyways..here's the specs...

Element Lacquer: Marbled Birch Inner and outer thin 6-ply shell with Poplar Core
Element Lacquer drums employ two Poplar plys at the core of its thin 6-ply shell for added bite and volume. The stunning nature of the high-gloss finish over Marbled Birch wood is accentuated by our new Classic Keystone lugs, and drawn further with options like black hardware (limited only to select finishes.)

Epic Standard: Birch Inner and Outer, Maple Core, Thin 6-ply Shell
Taking the bright, cutting tone of Birch and fusing it with the warmer qualities of Maple, Epic Series drums produce a wet, powerful sound that is at home in high-volume situations. Yet Epic’s new ultra-thin 6-ply shell vibrates at a more even rate, sculpting a rich, vibrant balance between subtlety and sonic punishment. Accented by the new Classic Keystone Lug and Vintage Bronze hardware, Epic Series has truly found a home in the Ludwig Legacy.

I'd personally go with the epics, they are one step above the Elements, and they have no poplar, and a nice thin 6 ply shell that should in theory be deeper sounding. They are beautiful quality drums, and they come in different sizes and were my 3rd choice behind Centennials (which I just ordered) and 1st choice being Vintage Ludwigs. I think you'd be happier with them in the long run, just make sure that with either kit you have enough money for hardware and good heads.

I'm getting the Ludwig standard epic (pro beat) for Christmas, so I can't recommend anything else :p 6 shells for 800, now that's a nice deal.

well..i'm in NYC and tomorrow I'm going to check out some big drum shops..I hope they have some of these drumkits in stock so I can check them out in person.

and yeah...I know i'll have to end up putting different heads on them and all that....what heads would you recommend actually?

well..i'm in NYC and tomorrow I'm going to check out some big drum shops..I hope they have some of these drumkits in stock so I can check them out in person.

and yeah...I know i'll have to end up putting different heads on them and all that....what heads would you recommend actually?

If your a remo guy, I'd go remo pinstripe.
If your an evans guy, I'd go coated EC2

i haven't played either kit first hand but as for heads, you gotta let them sing. i'd go with a two ply on top and a single ply on the resonant...emperor over ambassador maybe?

i'm actually a evans guy..i currently use ec2's..but I heard the remos are just as good, cheaper, and last longer...

and yeah..i've always used 2ply.....and single ply ambassadors on the bottom heads...I don't know a whole lot about heads....but wouldn't a single ply sing more than a double? I'd think a 2ply would be more muffled...

does anyone have either one of these drumsets? If so, is it worth spending the little extra for the Epic, cuz honestly I like the black hardware on the Element Lacquer...

anyways..here's the specs...

Element Lacquer: Marbled Birch Inner and outer thin 6-ply shell with Poplar Core
Element Lacquer drums employ two Poplar plys at the core of its thin 6-ply shell for added bite and volume. The stunning nature of the high-gloss finish over Marbled Birch wood is accentuated by our new Classic Keystone lugs, and drawn further with options like black hardware (limited only to select finishes.)

Epic Standard: Birch Inner and Outer, Maple Core, Thin 6-ply Shell
Taking the bright, cutting tone of Birch and fusing it with the warmer qualities of Maple, Epic Series drums produce a wet, powerful sound that is at home in high-volume situations. Yet Epic’s new ultra-thin 6-ply shell vibrates at a more even rate, sculpting a rich, vibrant balance between subtlety and sonic punishment. Accented by the new Classic Keystone Lug and Vintage Bronze hardware, Epic Series has truly found a home in the Ludwig Legacy.
I own a standard EPIC "downbeat" kit and absolutely love them IMHO get the EPIC's you won't. be disappointed .

Bonzolead

I just got back from NYC..and unfortunately none of the stores I went to had the Ludwig Epics set up..so I still haven't heard them....however, I did hear some Pearl Vision series stuff and it was awesome...

i'm not debating between those and the ludwigs...

Back