I have Cubital Tunnel... what worked best for you guys?

As a physician and having been a surgical patient as well, I have to say that I both completely understand your fear of surgery, and want to remind you that there is a point where it is absolutely the best option.
The factors that determine whether surgery is the next step include perceived loss of strength, increased pain or paresthesias ("pins and needles") at rest, and an inability to 'trust' yourself with gripping objects (let alone carrying a small child, etc.).
Conservative is the way to go (and any orthopedic surgeon will agree)- until it isn't. Just dont wait until you have atrophy (permanent muscle damage).
Cubital tunnel release is a simple and very successful surgery. Avoid chiropractors because an overuse entrapment syndrome does not get better from motion. The only reason someone on here got 'better' from a chiropractor was because they listened to a chiropractor when they recommended they take it easy for a while and the inflammation subsided.

TLDR- take your NSAIDs as permitted by YOUR physician who knows your medical history, use splints and braces as much as you can tolerate, try to minimize activity for a while to see if rest will help, and if you need surgery, dont wait until there is irreversible nerve damage.
**ALSO, since I can speak as a drummer as well, while its impossible to avoid flexing your elbows when you play drums, try not to use french grip. that will entrap your cubital tunnel and the Guyon canal in your wrist in the same line. put your fingers over your cubital tunnel and play in french grip if you dont believe me. So- Turn your palms down and play like a bada** American dangit! :)

As a physician and having been a surgical patient as well, I have to say that I both completely understand your fear of surgery, and want to remind you that there is a point where it is absolutely the best option.
The factors that determine whether surgery is the next step include perceived loss of strength, increased pain or paresthesias ("pins and needles") at rest, and an inability to 'trust' yourself with gripping objects (let alone carrying a small child, etc.).
Conservative is the way to go (and any orthopedic surgeon will agree)- until it isn't. Just dont wait until you have atrophy (permanent muscle damage).
Cubital tunnel release is a simple and very successful surgery. Avoid chiropractors because an overuse entrapment syndrome does not get better from motion. The only reason someone on here got 'better' from a chiropractor was because they listened to a chiropractor when they recommended they take it easy for a while and the inflammation subsided.

TLDR- take your NSAIDs as permitted by YOUR physician who knows your medical history, use splints and braces as much as you can tolerate, try to minimize activity for a while to see if rest will help, and if you need surgery, dont wait until there is irreversible nerve damage.
**ALSO, since I can speak as a drummer as well, while its impossible to avoid flexing your elbows when you play drums, try not to use french grip. that will entrap your cubital tunnel and the Guyon canal in your wrist in the same line. put your fingers over your cubital tunnel and play in french grip if you dont believe me. So- Turn your palms down and play like a bada** American dangit! :)

The above is excellent advice! I have had Cubital Tunnel Surgery on my left arm. It was the only option due to the severity of muscle wasting(hand) I had pre surgery.
I did all the Dr Google research when the issue started. One of the suggestions was a Chiropractor. Basically it was a waste of time(money too).
This was all before I started playing drums. I actually took the drums up about 4 months after my surgery. My doctor saw no reason why this would be detrimental to my recovery. I have been play almost 2 years now with no issues. I feel my hand is getting stronger. The only thing I use as an aid is Wrist Grips. A compression wrist band. It has made a difference IMO.
Find a good surgeon and get the issue fixed. Go luck!

I'm doing the rounds to try and find info from other drummers on their recovery from this condition, which I have in both arms. Instead of typing out my situation, I'll just link what I put in another forum:

TLDR: I've had simple decompression in both arms and subcutaneous transposition in the left.

Looking at previous posts here, I'm surprised anyone would ever recommend a Chiropractor for anything, let alone a nerve-compression issue.

Balmurdrum, I appreciate the no-French suggestion! I don't play that way but have occasionally let the hand turn in that direction.

For those of you who have this issue, how are your arms doing? Are you all back to full-on playing?

Back