Good 'music filming' camera?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Is this the new kid on the block?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023203-REG/canon_vixia_mini_x_full.html

I haven't had much chance to research but I'm after a camera that can record live music/just drums while sounding respectable enough to want to listen.

I'm aware of the latest zoom q4 but I was considering one before & I don't like that it doesn't have a zoom function. So I was wondering what the new gopro is like when you plug in an external mic (anyone?), then I stumbled on this canon thing. Any help?

Is this the new kid on the block?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023203-REG/canon_vixia_mini_x_full.html

I haven't had much chance to research but I'm after a camera that can record live music/just drums while sounding respectable enough to want to listen.

I'm aware of the latest zoom q4 but I was considering one before & I don't like that it doesn't have a zoom function. So I was wondering what the new gopro is like when you plug in an external mic (anyone?), then I stumbled on this canon thing. Any help?

I am a bit of a camera video enthusiast. I think there are several key factors when considering a video camera for music.

1) Sound quality
2) Global shutter
3) Low light sensitivity
4) Rotating viewer.

There may be others. I have been using the Sony-nex it has global shutter, so my sticks don't wiggle like jello. I also have an adapter for it so I can buy inexpensive analog prime lenses which are great for low light. I wish the viewer rotated all the way around so I can see myself while I play, it helps. I also wish it had an adapter for external mic, as it is I use another mic then sync the tracks, kind of a pain.

I 2nd the Q3. I bought it used so it was a good price. It's got good sound and picture quality. It has 3 settings for light and 2 for audio. As an amature I'm well pleased with it. It has a line in for mic, or mixer also.

A follow up....
(and thanks Dre for making me think about spending more $$$ :) :) )

After looking at the cams listed (I already have a go pro), i started to look at accessories for my Nikon D5200 which I knew did video but never gave it a thought about using it for that. then I came across 2 cool things from tascam:

Tascam TM-2X Stereo XY Condenser DSLR Microphone
Tascam DR-60DmkII 4-Channel Portable Recorder for DSLR

Anyone use either of these?

While we're on the subject, anyone out there using the Zoom Q2? It's considerably cheaper than the Q3 so just wondering what opinions of it might be - I had a Q3 which a regrettably sold so am now looking for a replacement of some kind.

While we're on the subject, anyone out there using the Zoom Q2? It's considerably cheaper than the Q3 so just wondering what opinions of it might be - I had a Q3 which a regrettably sold so am now looking for a replacement of some kind.

I have a Q2 and am very impressed with it. The video is ... less than stellar. But the audio is very good indeed to my undereducated ear. For the price, it's phenomenal. I've used it to record jam sessions and I've used it as a USB condenser mic to do VO work.

Here's an example of the audio it records. For clarity's sake, note it's not raw; I pulled it into Audacity and played with it. But only a tiny bit. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVeVFxG1E3c

And another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwckxVt_2zY

Looking at that Canon camera you pointed out, you're not that far away from getting a Canon SL-1 with kit lens. Add the Tascam X2 stereo microphone to it and you'll get great video and audio. BUt yeah, it depends on what's important to you. The Zoom Q3, that I also have, the video isn't great, but it's good enough. It's audio is what shines, and why I got one. With the Canon DSLR, you score a great still camera, and a great video camera (you can't beat a real glass lens). And with the right stereo mic, it'll do it all. You have to invest in a good tripod though to avoid shake.

I use the Canon SL-1 for all my portrait and wedding work with good lenses and people are blown away I'm doing important functions with these tiny cameras. I use to be a big pro gear photographer, but carrying around all that weight just kills me.

Last year I tried a q3 but thought it sounded a bit on the bassy side. I was gonna get one.. I bid on one on ebay but the seller pulled it, then I missed another brand new one on clearance.. Maybe I should find a used one but I was worried the q3 might be obsolete now.

I dig the gopro idea cos I could use that for action stuff too.

Back