Can't let go

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I have a friend, who seems to always find amazing deals on things at yard sales and thrift stores and such. About five years ago, he scored a vintage 18" Zildjian sizzle cymbal (8 or ten rivets in it, I believe), in amazing condition, for somewhere around $15, if I'm not mistaken. No cracks, no keyholing, nothing other than patina, which is to be expected. No logos, just the stamp. I played in a band with him, and he let our drummer use the cymbal frequently. The thing sounds just fantastic. We all fell in love with it at once. I have since tried to get him to sell me that cymbal, but he just won't let it go, and here's the thing: He doesn't even play drums! He just has this amazing cymbal that's longing to be played, and it just sits. He says he'll never get rid of it. I sent him a text earlier today and asked him again to sell it to me. I'm not confident that he will.

But, this got me thinking. I have a few things that I never use, that I will probably never get rid of, either. Does anybody have things laying around, gear related or not, that you'll just never get rid of, whether or not somebody else could put it to better use?

I have a ride cymbal that I have had for 20 years. It used to be my main ride but I've since moved on to others. I still keep it around and earlier this year I tried to sell it. Luckily, no one made me an offer for it and a couple of days later I took the Craigslist ad down thinking "what was I doing?". I doubt I will ever play it again, but it is *my* ride that has "that sound" so if I ever need it I will always have it.

I've regretted every cymbal I've ever sold, even the crappy ones.

I have friends who have kept everything they've ever purchased. I'm opposite. I like to have as uncluttered a lifestyle as is possible. I get rid of stuff and get other stuff in its place.

I will sell a drum set at the drop of a hat if I'm not using it anymore or need money to fund other gear purchases. Cymbals, on the other hand, take an act of Congress for me to part ways with.

I have a hard time letting go of cymbals too. If anything is worth money and doesn't depreciate that much, it would be good cymbals. But that's not the only reason; I get separation anxiety with just the thought of letting one go. I think it stems from my younger days when I had to hock a lot of good cymbals just to have money to get by sometimes.

Back