Cheap hack for bass drum hoop grip/protector

AxisDrummer

I’ve never been a fan of the traditional hoop protectors (Gibraltar/Tama/etc) because I really don’t want anything adhesive or “permanent” attached to my hoop.

Of course I don’t want to crank my pedal down to the bare hoop to avoid any chew marks but then the pedal can occasionally slip around.

My cheap solution: those circular “jar grips” that you use to grip/open a tight jar lid. They are about 4-5” diameter but can be cut down if desired. They are not too thick where the pedal can easily clamp but they’re thick enough to protect....and of course they grip.

You just hold it over your hoop, folding over the top and bottom while you clamp your pedal. It will eventually form to the hoop. I keep it packed with my pedal for gigs and keep an extra one in my emergency kit as well.

I used one of these: https://www.amazon.com/DRUMNBASE-DNB-HP180-HOOP-PROTECT/dp/B06XJJM3MV/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?keywords=hoop+protector&qid=1557549661&s=gateway&sprefix=hoop+prote&sr=8-7 and put the pearl one over it without the screw. I did use the adhesive, but you don’t really have to. Together, they don’t move at all.

That looks like the best adhesive-based protector I've seen. Doesn't the addition of the Pearl protector make the whole thing pretty thick and tough to clamp on though? Thickness is another factor that needs to be considered.

I'm currently using several layers of painter's tape on my new Renown hoops. It's a temporary solution until I decide on a better one.
Vi8PU7w.png

It bugs me that there seems to be no perfect solution. We can put a man on the moon 50 years ago but can't protect a bass hoop without gumming it up with adhesive or drilling into the wood.

THERE HAS GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY! (cue infomercial)

^^ I couldn’t clamp on my old gen 1 DW5000, but most newer pedals open up enough. It’s not as thick as it would seem.

I actually had just received 2 of those Drum N Base Protectors a few days ago. I planned to use them with the adhesive backing still attached.

A bit too thick for my DW 5000 Pedals clamp.

Someone on this site, made and sold a bit like the Drum n Bass one some years ago and sent me on the test. It has to have been 5 years ago an it still looks brand new. It was like a thinner neoprene like a scuba suit. It has always been on the same spot on the hoop and always will be so I don't see how it could harm anything. It just sits there.

Good tip!

Something I've been doing for years is using a small piece of a mousepad. It's thick enough to protect the hoop, but not so thick that the pedal can't clamp down. You can also get about 20 kits worth out of one mousepad.

Bought one today for my new Barton kick drum. It seems to work. I have a gig Thursday so I'll gig-test it then.

I’ve never been a fan of the traditional hoop protectors (Gibraltar/Tama/etc) because I really don’t want anything adhesive or “permanent” attached to my hoop.

Of course I don’t want to crank my pedal down to the bare hoop to avoid any chew marks but then the pedal can occasionally slip around.

My cheap solution: those circular “jar grips” that you use to grip/open a tight jar lid. They are about 4-5” diameter but can be cut down if desired. They are not too thick where the pedal can easily clamp but they’re thick enough to protect....and of course they grip.

You just hold it over your hoop, folding over the top and bottom while you clamp your pedal. It will eventually form to the hoop. I keep it packed with my pedal for gigs and keep an extra one in my emergency kit as well.

So far so good with mine. Unsure what the durability will be, whether they tear easily or not...but time will tell. I only gig 2-3 times a month and the jar grips are cheap so as long as it works and lasts a little while, it’ll be worth it.

Some else mentioned a mousepad which is a great idea as well.

I know you don't want anything stuck on the hoop, but I use skateboard grip tape. I just cut off a small piece for the hoop, and put one on the inside and one on the outside of the hoop where the pedal clamps. Totally works.

I know you don't want anything stuck on the hoop, but I use skateboard grip tape. I just cut off a small piece for the hoop, and put one on the inside and one on the outside of the hoop where the pedal clamps. Totally works.

Thank you Bo. Perfect idea !
I'm going to start using grip tape.
I don't expect my bass drum hoops to last forever. I still have the original hoop on my 1963 Slingerland set. It's a little chewed up but I have been rotating it for many years, so that the pedal clamps on different parts of the hoop. On my newer bass drums I have used those Pearl hoop protectors.
Oh my gosh there is a tiny hole in my hoop from the Pearl protector. My whole drum set is ruined !!!

I use a similar thing, a strip of velcro with the adhesive back.
Works great. The harder side; it's thinner

Back