Drumming Historians

Does anyone know of any drumming historians, preferably knowledgeable on the topic of rock drummers, e.g. John Bonham, Keith Moon, Neil Peart, Jeff Porcaro? I need historians quotes for an essay on rock drumming.

I wold think that forum member Scott K. Fish would be a good place to start.

There's that awesome youtube series that goes back to like the 1850's, but stops right around the arrival of The Beatles and Ringo Starr, so probably not what you're looking for.

If you're quoting historians/authors, there are several great books about specific drummers (Bonham, Ringo, Moon...), rock drummers in general, and specific bands (Who, Doors, etc etc etc) where quotes can be sourced with the proper credit.

Or simply talk to Scott. :)

Bermuda

Daniel Glass is a self-described drumming historian. He has a Facebook page where you could probably contact him. I think of him more as a jazz guy, but he may be helpful.

How long is the paper you're writing? Based on the information you've written my first inclination is to suggest you narrow your focus a bit. For example, the "progression of the drumset during the 1960s - 1990s" is a massive topic. Look at D.J. Fontana's drumset with Elvis Presley vs Neil Peart's drumsets with Rush.

In that time frame drum makers came and went. Drum sizes changed. Electronic percussion was introduced. Hardware and drum accessories went crazy. Drum heads and cymbals - went crazy too.

Certainly the drummers cited - Bonham, Moon, Copeland, Porcaro, Peart - each had an impact on the evolution of popular drumsets and of how drumsets are played.

For example, to my ears, John Bonham was essentially a blues drummer. Bonham's contribution to drumset playing, IMO, is in his innovations in blues drumming adapted to hard rock.

The Roots of Rock Music, DVD and Book set from Hudson Music. I'm sure available on Amazon. Excellent source.

This the series edited by Daniel Glass asentioned above.

Last edited:
Back