Gibraltar brackets, mounts and hardware parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a generic brand kit and started to modify it to bring this drumset to a next level of durability and strenght. I want to replace some hardware parts for Gibraltar ones, but these accessories need to be screwed in the drum shells and it seems they don't use the same screw configurations and could leave vacant holes or simply enlarge them.

I would like to change the bass drum bracket and spurs, and also the toms brackets. The bass drum bracket I use actually is designed for double toms, so it has two holes for ratchet style posts, and I want to replace it for the Gibraltar single tom one. The double toms bracket is particularly bigger than the single tom one, and due to this, it uses more screws and a different screw configuration. It's especially the same with my current bass drum spurs, which I want to replace for the Gibraltar Pro Bass Drum Spurs with brackets. To match with the Single Tom Bass Drum Bracket, I must replace the toms mounting brackets for the Tom Mounting Bracket of 7/8" diameter.
All these new hardware parts will use more or less screws and different screw configurations, so I must be sure before buying them to be able to do the installation.

Does someone have exactly these types of Gibraltar hardware parts and if it's possible, some pics of the bottom part so I can see the screw configuration, to help me figure out what I'll have to do if I buy them and have to install them.

If they are too different, you may cause a weak spot in the shell with the new tom holder.

Talk to an experienced technician who does these types of mods.

Post pics of the parts (new and old), perhaps we can help....

If they are too different, you may cause a weak spot in the shell with the new tom holder.

Yeah, if you "swiss cheese" your shells, their stability may be compromised (especially the bass drum...). Since you're planning on dropping some heavy dough on new expensive hardware, why not save up some more and get a new kit?

You might consider suspension mounts for the toms, and flying the toms from a stand instead of from the bass drum. That would neatly solve the problems with the mismatched sizes of your brackets.

You might consider suspension mounts for the toms, and flying the toms from a stand instead of from the bass drum. That would neatly solve the problems with the mismatched sizes of your brackets.

I second that!!!....That should solve most of your problems because you wouldn't have to modify the shells at all. Now the bass drum spurs are a different story. I have Gibraltar bass drum spurs on my kit (it is a Gretsch so it came with them) and they are awesome, so if it is do-able I would try if I were you. Also like Alparrott mentioned, flying your toms off stands instead of the bass really helps the sound and I believe there was a thread a few months back with a member that makes custom badges to your bass screw configuration, that in essence cover up any holes left after removing any mounting hardware. It basically turns your bass into a virgin bass drum.

I'll work on this! I might not do this job but I'll think about it. I need more info and more time to plan these modifications.

I don't think I'll use suspension mounts; I don't like the L-Rods that come with them (lack of movement, etc.).

I don't think I'll use suspension mounts; I don't like the L-Rods that come with them (lack of movement, etc.).

RIMS and Gibraltar's GTS take any manufacturer's tom mounting hardware, which can then be used with any tom arm (Pearl-style 7/8" tubes, Yamaha hex arms, 9.5mm, 10.5mm, or 12 mm L arms, etc.)

I am not aware of any actual mounting hardware that comes with either of these suspension systems, usually you take the mounting hardware off the toms that you have and then mount it to the suspension system, keeping the hardware that you are used to. If you don't like the old tom hardware, you can take this opportunity to upgrade it to something you like better.

With RIMS, you simply bolt your existing tom mount (or any mount you choose) to the RIMS plate. I'm a big fan of Yamaha hardware, so all my RIMS have Yamaha mounts attached. When I sell the drums, I simple re-attach the old factory mounts, keeping the RIMS and the Yamaha hardware, to use on the next kit.​
If your kit is a "generic" kit to start, adding extra holes to it will only further de-value whatever resale worth it holds now. Doing the job right entails plugging and dowelling old holes, and then re-drilling new ones (if hardware doesn't line up). You might want to just sell your old kit, and upgrade.​

As you can see, I really want to make life difficult; to complicate it, in other words!
Anyway, I decided a long time ago not to sell my first drum kit (I'm so attached to it and sentimental about these things!), and don't want to buy another drum set for a few years. I already have my idea in mind about my next kit and started to save up. Actually, my current drum set is the only one I own and have to take care of it, and that's what I'll do. My first objective is to upgrade it a bit to make it lasts and durable for a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back