Steve Jordan

Are there Eric Clapton CD releases with Steve Jordan or is it just live performances?

Tom

Hey guys, I am so thrilled to say that I met Steve tonight. He was playing with Sonny Rollins in Vancouver at the Orpheum theatre and I had absolutely no idea that they were playing together until Sonny announced his name. I waited outside the stage door and sure enough there he was. He was even kind of enough to have a quick word with me and he gave me a nice handshake/hug. I only wish now that I had asked him for a signed stick or something, but maybe that would have been too much, you tell me! But the thing that was coolest tonight about Steve, other than meeting him was seeing that he is an incredible jazz drummer. I have only ever heard his recordings and seen his videos with his legendary 'grooves.' I have to say that I feel totally inspired to play now. Does anyone know if he has an email or a fanclub? I would LOVE to get in touch with him and thank him for his inspiration if it is at all possible.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!! I had a gig that night and wanted to see Sonny Rollins so bad, but had no clue that Steve Jordan was the drummer!!! AW MAN!! That's awesome that you were able to meet him. I don't know of anyway to contact him, I certainly would. And he is an amazing jazz drummer. He plays some good stuff on his DVD. How great was the Sonny Rollins gig?

I used to stay up and watch David Letterman just see Steve play back in the day. It was just Steve, Will Lee, Paul Schaffer and Hiram Bullock (i think). Awesome little four piece. I like Anton Fig, but Steve is the man in the pocket.

I used to stay up and watch David Letterman just see Steve play back in the day. It was just Steve, Will Lee, Paul Schaffer and Hiram Bullock (i think). Awesome little four piece. I like Anton Fig, but Steve is the man in the pocket.

Hey Sling,
I remember those days as well and did the exact same thing, I was more interested in watching Steve Jordan than anything else on the show. He really laid into the opening theme and I can't think of very many drummers who look like their having as much fun as him.

I was planning on getting his DVD, "The Groove is Here". Does anyone have it and what do you think about it?

I was planning on getting his DVD, "The Groove is Here". Does anyone have it and what do you think about it?

I have it. If you're looking for solid education, look elsewhere. The whole DVD is pretty much about Steve Jordan grooving away in different situations. There's some food for thought and inspiration available for those who have the ability to find it, but personally I can't recommend buying it.

I have it. If you're looking for solid education, look elsewhere. The whole DVD is pretty much about Steve Jordan grooving away in different situations. There's some food for thought and inspiration available for those who have the ability to find it, but personally I can't recommend buying it.

Ok thanks. I was looking for inspiration more than the educational aspect of it. It sounds a bit like Bernard Purdie's Groove Master VHS which I had the opportunity to get. Honestly not that great educationally but you can't not get inspired while watching a master at work.

My teacher is a massive of Steve Jordan and so am I now. I remember spending at least three lessons watching his new dvd 'The Groove is Here' and studying various grooves he played. Man, does it feel good to play them once you really lock his kinda feel down, but no matter what you can't get that same groove that he does.

hey guys Steve is a monster, and his playing on the james taylor dvd is incredible! Put that thing on and you can lay down in the pocket!

But, he actually is not on the track take it so hard from the keith richards cd, Charlie Drayton played drums, steve played bass.

I have the DVD and have watched it countless amounts of times. It does educate you on the philosphy of drumming which I loved, but yes it seemed more of an inspirational DVD with a lot of killer grooves. I recommend buying it.

Last edited:
Man! I am dying to see some footage of Steve recently playing with Sonny Rollins! Does anyone have some of that? I checked U tube to no avail! Shucks!!

Man! I am dying to see some footage of Steve recently playing with Sonny Rollins! Does anyone have some of that? I checked U tube to no avail! Shucks!!

same here, i would really like to see some of the footage from the recent carnegie hall concert that sonny played with roy haynes and christian mcbride. in the most recent issue of jazz times magazine there is a photo essay covering this concert but it only covers the group which had roy haynes in it, the touring group with steve jordan played the second set but is not mentioned in the article.

Gotta love Roy, but I have seen Roy about 10 times. I haven't seen Steve in a straight ahead setting and would love to. Btw, you should hear Christian Mc bride play the drums. My friend was at a jam session and he Christian sat in and was killin!

Well put.

That's why Gadd is my favorite, although I think of Vinnie as being the only other one on the exact same level. There's just something about Steve and Steve that pulls you into their world, whereas with some others you're left watching in awe from the outside.

Yeah, I totally understand what you mean, and whole-heartedly agree on that. Another great drummer, but often under-rated and mostly little-known (to people in general, not us drummers) is Matt Chamberlain. One of the grooviest and most versatile of modern-day drummers.

Vinnie...well, what can I say..he can equally pull you in and put you in awe within the same song, with a single touch. Think the hi-hat work on fairly simple song like The Hounds Of Winter, off Sting's Mercury Falling.

Yes, yes. I didn't mean to imply that Vinnie is someone who only does the "in awe from the outside" thing, just that he doesn't suck you in as much as Gadd or Jordan. Especially with Gadd, where oftentimes I feel like I'm swimming in the biggest ocean there is! But of course Vinnie is Vinnie, and he can do pretty much everything under the sun, including sucking you way down into the depths of his own gigantic sea.

I have it and love it. I usually put it on as background when I am messing around in my studio in hopes that that groove will infect me!! If you are looking for inspiration this a great DVD.

Back