Thomas Lang double stroke speed up/slow down

Re: thomas lang double stroke speed up/slow down

I’ve seen him do that, er, trick? effect? display? on a view vids. It’s nothing special, pattern-wise: he’s just doing singles with his hands and singles with his feet. (Or is it doubles? I can't remember. He can probably do both.) It is indeed pretty impressive from a mental agility point of view, and fun to play around with in the practice room. As to musical usefulness, I’ll leave that up to you.

I’ve seen him do that, er, trick? effect? display? on a view vids. It’s nothing special, pattern-wise: he’s just doing singles with his hands and singles with his feet. (Or is it doubles? I can't remember. He can probably do both.) It is indeed pretty impressive from a mental agility point of view, and fun to play around with in the practice room. As to musical usefulness, I’ll leave that up to you.

he does it with doubles in this video but i'm sure he can do it with singles too haha, I just want to know the trick so i can use it as a mental/physical exercise.

I am assuming there is a note value pattern that he is using (and starting backwards with his feet) since the feet and hands meet up at the same tempo eventaully and then pass each other going the opposite directions...or maybe it's tempo and not note value?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just go for it, man!

I’ve tried it a few times. The basics (speed up hands while slowing down feet and vice versa) aren’t that hard; it’s doing it smoothly and evenly that gets pretty tricky.

...or maybe it's tempo and not note value?

Yeah, it’s just tempo changes. Simultaneously inverted, if that makes any sense.

I’m pretty sure that he’s not thinking of note values (e.g. “my hands are doing quarters while my feet are doing 32s; now my hands are doing 8ths while my feet are doing 16ths).

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of what he's doing at that particular spot - learn all combinations.

Hands & feet = singles.
Hands & feet = doubles.
Hands = doubles, feet = singles.
Hands = singles, feet = doubles.

Being the monster drummer he is, I'm sure Thomas would easily play any of those combinations right away. Plus, with left side lead if he wanted to.

Folks, you can always go back and edit a previous post of yours! No need to submit consecutive single posts. Just saying.

I have attempted it without thinking of note values, but I read some post along time ago when i first found the video saying there is note value pyramids. and yes I would of course practice it in as many different ways I could come up with, i just can't figure out the pattern ><

I actually personally asked Thomas the question of how to do this. He said that in order to achieve this effect, you could practice double strokes in a note pyramid fashion. So practice double strokes starting from 1's (quarter notes) to 8's (32nd notes), make sure you can play them with both hands and feet at EQUAL speeds and with extreme precision. The next step is to practice the hands playing the 8s and the feet playing 1's. Then practice playing 7's with the hands and 2's with the feet. And so on, and so forth. Keep going up/down the pyramid with both hands and feet. This method is one way to approximate the effect, although Thomas said that after a while, you will stop thinking in terms of a note pyramid but rather just literally speeding up and slowing down. Hope this helps!

Back