Brass vs Steel hoops TONAL Difference?

cobamnator

I have a few cheap snares. A couple of which has deformed hoops.

I have a read somewhere that brass hoops have MORE sustain and MORE natural overtones than Steel or Chrome over Steel hoops.

Any experience with this?

If so I will buy some Brass hoops instead...same price basically.

I had 2 14x5 Supraphonics, one with COS and one with COB hoops. The COB make a WORLD of difference, in my opinion. I even tried them out on my 6.5 Supraphonic, and it was like night and day (although I switched them back, because I liked the sound of the COS...)

Basically, they make the sound less bright, or as other people might say, make the drum sound "warmer". My guess would be because the metal is softer and absorbs/flexes easier. I didn't notice any change in sustain, except that maybe it dried the sound out a bit. If you already have a warm-sounding snare, I think they would be overkill, like wood hoops. If you have a bright and ringy snare you're trying to tame a bit, then try them out.

I had 2 14x5 Supraphonics, one with COS and one with COB hoops. The COB make a WORLD of difference, in my opinion. I even tried them out on my 6.5 Supraphonic, and it was like night and day (although I switched them back, because I liked the sound of the COS...)

Basically, they make the sound less bright, or as other people might say, make the drum sound "warmer". My guess would be because the metal is softer and absorbs/flexes easier. I didn't notice any change in sustain, except that maybe it dried the sound out a bit. If you already have a warm-sounding snare, I think they would be overkill, like wood hoops. If you have a bright and ringy snare you're trying to tame a bit, then try them out.

Wow, interesting. So basically they would be ideal for someone who feels their triple flanged hoops are too ring-y / overtone-y yet they don't want to kill their drums with heavy die cast hoops.

Do you think COB or COS would be better for a SNARE SIDE hoop? (Since you DO want an open, resonate, sensitive, light hoop).

Wow, interesting. So basically they would be ideal for someone who feels their triple flanged hoops are too ring-y / overtone-y yet they don't want to kill their drums with heavy die cast hoops.

Do you think COB or COS would be better for a SNARE SIDE hoop? (Since you DO want an open, resonate, sensitive, light hoop).

I don't know about mixing and matching. I switched both hoops each time. I have since sold both Supras. I'd imagine that the COB top over the COS bottom sound soften the attack while maintaining the crispness of the snares. I dunno. I didn't notice a lack of sensitivity with the COB pairing, just a reduction of higher overtones.

Maybe I'll have to buy a couple more old Supraphonics and investigate this further... :D

Back