Awkward impromptu audition?

Nodiggie

Gold Member
A year or so ago some friends asked me to sit in on a jam session with their band since they were looking for a drummer. It was fun, met some cool cats and the end of the jam the manager shared with me in detail their immediate and long term goals. There was NO way I could commit to their rehearsal schedule (in town/out of town).

fast forward....

They went through 3 drummers in the last year for who knows what reasons. There are always two sides to every story and I've only heard one so I take it with a grain of salt. Tonight I show up for another rehearsal and I find out there is another drummer there!

Impromptu audition !!

So I'm there talking to this drummer (cool dude) who is the drumline instructor at the local High School. I figured, cool this guy hasn't been in a band in over 2 years and has the itch to get back on the horse and start giggin' again. Big plus for my friend's band since now they have two drummer to pick from. haha jokes on me.
Not sure who will get the call (yes I am) but if it works out, great if not no biggie.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? Impromptu audition?

I friend I work with is a classically-trained musician. His undergraduate degree was in music with his specialty as the pipe organ. He also plays: harp, piano, flute, piccalo, and pan pipes, plus does some percussion. His church was looking for a drummer for a couple of worship services last year and he asked me if I wanted to do it. They were doing music from John Rutter (the english composer). I agreed, got the music, got the CD and practiced and practiced again. The service went very well and I got plenty of compliments and an invite to be the church's drummer. It was in a city 1 hour away and there were no way I could make rehearsals, and I was already in a praise band at my own church, so I sadly declined. I played with them again last year, almost the same songs. This past weekend I rehearsed with their in-house Dixieland band. Again, I was invited to be that Dixieland Band's drummer whenever they play out, which is maybe 4 - 5 times a year. I accepted. This doesn't really fit your question, but I guess you could say it was all "silent auditions"? It's nice to be asked back.

two bands ago (that's how i measure time) the band i was in split up. the bass player and i still got along so we decided to try to form a new band with us as the rhythm section. i put an ad on craigslist inviting guitarists and singers to audition with us. i got a call from a guy who said he and his guitarist were interested. he asked if i (not the bassist) would come to their practice space to meet them. when i showed up i was surprised to find a full band there excluding a drummer. it turned out i knew their guitarist too, from some earlier jam sessions. they asked me to play some of their songs with them using a drum kit they had in the room. it ended up being an impromptu audition for me, which was a surprise because i went into it expecting to audition them! they offered me a spot in their band right then and there and i took it. i later found out my bass player had also been looking for bands to join and found one shortly after that, so i didn't leave him hanging.

Back