The 8 lug snare drum

I've owned 6, 8, 10, and 12 lug snares as it happens. Each has/had their own charms, and in each case the lug count is/was part of the essential character of the drum. I never have chosen or rejected a drum based on lug count alone, but more on what it offered - or didn't - sonically.

I'm looking forward to buying a 6-lug Ludwig Pioneer to replace my first-ever snare someday; I'm also keenly interested in an LM402 someday.

What an honest observation Larry. All those expensive drums and the PP comes out on top.
Been playing an 8 lug 1950's Radio King for the last year (changed from a Supra)
10 to 8 really opens a drum up, but its not for everybody. I'd say 8 is a more 'wild' sound. 8 lugs is all the difference in sound an Acro gives, which some prefer over its 10 lug cousin the Supra.
But seamed or not. I don't get it. Can anybody really hear a difference?

Last edited:
Larry, if I put 8 lugs on that padauk, I guarantee you wouldn't notice the difference, because the change in mass is miniscule. I know, I've tried it. That's because the hardware mass is ultra lightweight. Other drums with standard hardware however = yes, there's a difference. It's not a number of tension points thing, it's a mass thing.

Although an open or closed aspect may well sound better in your recordings, it's probably got more to do with what suits the recording space than anything else. Try the same comparison in a different environment, & it will likely affect your perception / result. That's the beauty of the interaction of an acoustic instrument :)

I've owned 6, 8, 10, and 12 lug snares as it happens. Each has/had their own charms, and in each case the lug count is/was part of the essential character of the drum. I never have chosen or rejected a drum based on lug count alone, but more on what it offered - or didn't - sonically.

For years I had been told to not get anything but 10 lug drums so I avoided 8 lug drums like the plague.

Now I own a number of 8 lug snares and they are wonderful. Long story short, trust your builder to build
it the way it needs to be built and trust your ears for how it sounds.

Other drums with standard hardware however = yes, there's a difference. It's not a number of tension points thing, it's a mass thing.

I was tuning the Dunnett the other day and wondering about the hardware. He went with this thin shell and less lugs, presumably with the purpose of a more open sounding drum then clamps these heavy tube lugs to the thing.

I was toying around with the idea of changing them out for some aluminum lugs, I like the ones Champagne Drums makes.

I was tuning the Dunnett the other day and wondering about the hardware. He went with this thin shell and less lugs, presumably with the purpose of a more open sounding drum then clamps these heavy tube lugs to the thing.

I was toying around with the idea of changing them out for some aluminum lugs, I like the ones Champagne Drums makes.
if you want a more open aspect, that's an option, but beware, you might get more of what you don't want added to more of what you do want. A good builder (rare - most are more concerned with more surface considerations) will judge the hardware mass to get optimal results. Sometimes, adding mass is a beneficial thing, sometimes not.

What an host observation Larry. All those expensive drums and the PP comes out on top.

Been playing an 8 lug 1950's Radio King for the last year (changed from a Supra)
10 to 8 really opens a drum up, but its not for everybody. I'd say 8 is a more 'wild' sound. 8 lugs is all the difference in sound an Acro gives, which some prefer over its 10 lug cousin the Supra.

But seamed or not. I don't get it. Can anybody really hear a difference?

I suspect seamless drums are a little more sensitive and sound better at low volumes, but I’ve never done a side-by-side.

Interesting thread-thanks for starting the conversation Larry. I find some irony that a 6, 8 or 10 lug snare gets all kind of love but mention a 6 lug floor tom and it's doodoo. Since we got "experts" on here does the mass of the lugs have an impact on a metal shell or is it just wood snares that is an issue?

I contend it's because the snare is alumin(i)um and for no other reason that it sounds so good.

Aluminum is awesome.

I am a recent convert to the 8 lug snare .
I currently own three 8 lug snares.
14 x 6” Noble and Cooley Walnut SS
14 x 6.5” Noble and Cooley Walnut Horizontal ply
14 x 6.5” INDe Seamless Brushed Aluminum.

These three snares do the majority of the gigs I play these days.
The 8 lug snares have a unique fell when I play that really appeals to me.

I contend it's because the snare is alumin(i)um and for no other reason that it sounds so good.

Aluminum is awesome.

Right on. I think the Ludwig Supraphonic proved this over the last 50 years.

Aluminum is awesome.

I agree, the aluminum is the main ingredient, but the 8 lugs...I notice a big difference. Each lug has to be like 20% tighter or so to get the same note as on a 10 lug drum. I may not get another 10 lug snare again. I have enough of them. But I'm liking the new 8 lug aluminum a lot for recording in my studio.

It's cool that I can still find things like this that still excite me.

I still like my wood drums for live. They have more O-tones, which I go for live. I liked my former 14 x 6.5 Supra a lot in my studio. Live? Not my cup of tea. It wasn't lively enough.

I had a 14 x 5 Acro that I didn't like in my studio or anywhere else for that matter. Aluminum 8 lug drum, just shallower. I really did not like anything about it. Which doesn't make sense to me.

I had a 14 x 5 Acro that I didn't like in my studio or anywhere else for that matter. Aluminum 8 lug drum, just shallower. I really did not like anything about it. Which doesn't make sense to me.

What version of Acro did you have? FWIW, I've played Acros and Blacros (probably from the 70's / 80's) and didn't get on too well with them. However, I bought a late 60's Acro and I'll never part with it. Beautiful sounding drum :)

Also have a 6.5" Limited Edition Acro (10 lug) and it's wonderful, too.

What version of Acro did you have? FWIW, I've played Acros and Blacros (probably from the 70's / 80's) and didn't get on too well with them. However, I bought a late 60's Acro and I'll never part with it. Beautiful sounding drum :)

Also have a 6.5" Limited Edition Acro (10 lug) and it's wonderful, too.

That's the thing, it was a 67. I heard great things about the that era Acro. I also had a 10 lug NY education special order reissue 14 x 6.5 Acro that I wasn't that fond of either. I like my same sized Supra better. I sold the Acro to Karl Crafton. I wonder if he held on to it.

I think the 14 x 6.5 8 lug aluminum shell is the ticket I'm looking for. I already have one and I like it for recording so much that I'm curious about other companies aluminum 8 lug offerings.

Recommendations welcome. 14 x 6.5 - 8 lug aluminum.

I'm trying to find some online somewhere. An 8 lug aluminum snare drum search doesn't return me much of what I ask for. How many drum companies sell their snare drums by lug count, right?

That's the thing, it was a 67. I heard great things about the that era Acro. I also had a 10 lug NY education special order reissue 14 x 6.5 Acro that I wasn't that fond of either. I like my same sized Supra better. I sold the Acro to Karl Crafton. I wonder if he held on to it.

I think the 14 x 6.5 8 lug aluminum shell is the ticket I'm looking for. I already have one and I like it for recording so much that I'm curious about other companies aluminum 8 lug offerings.

I'm trying to find some online somewhere. An 8 lug aluminum snare drum search doesn't return me much of what I ask for. How many drum companies sell their snare drums by lug count, right?

Oriollo Phantom, look them up on YouTube. I have two copper Oriollos, but their aluminum drums sound great and weight almost nothing. They’re made to order, so you can get whatever lug count.

Oriollo Phantom, look them up on YouTube. I have two copper Oriollos, but their aluminum drums sound great and weight almost nothing. They’re made to order, so you can get whatever lug count.

Damn I just got a brass one with 10 lugs about a month ago. I would trade it for an aluminum 8 in an eyeblink. I was hoping to not have to go the custom route again. Joyful Noise has one too. I really want to keep it under 500. I'll price one with Vukan to see what he says.

Larry, pretty sure this might not even fall within the scope of your budget for a used model, but have you checked out the Dunnett 2N Modeling Aluminum snare?

Damn I just got a brass one with 10 lugs about a month ago. I would trade it for an aluminum 8 in an eyeblink. I was hoping to not have to go the custom route again. Joyful Noise has one too. I really want to keep it under 500. I'll price one with Vukan to see what he says.

A 10-lug brass? What size? I’ve got a Black Beauty I’ve been meaning to trade in for an Oriollo brass. I could sell it and buy your Oriollo brass, how about that?

A 10-lug brass? What size? I’ve got a Black Beauty I’ve been meaning to trade in for an Oriollo brass. I could sell it and buy your Oriollo brass, how about that?

OK you got a deal. I got the raw finish. 14 x 6.5, 10 lug. I put 20 strand Puresound brass wires on it, a collarless Remo snare side, and it came with a coated G1 on it. It has a nice honk.

I paid 750 for it a month ago. Make me an offer.

OK you got a deal. I got the raw finish. 14 x 6.5, 10 lug. I put 20 strand Puresound brass wires on it, a collarless Remo snare side, and it came with a coated G1 on it. It has a nice honk.

I paid 750 for it a month ago. Make me an offer.

$625 plus shipping. I’m pretty sure I can unload the BB for around that.

Back