How hard do you try to keep your kit in pristine condition?

I find bags (for drums, that is) a pain because it's another bit of packing and unpacking. Guess it depends on your kit/configuration to some extent but I reckon I've streamlined it as much as I can: my hardware largely consists of a two-part rack which I only break apart at the corner joint so it's transported as two large half-sections with booms, etc., still attached; the toms are RIMS mounted so the mounts double as carrying handles and the snare drum stays attached to its stand so it's moved as a single item. Cases are limited to cymbals (I'll give you that one), bass pedal and stick bag (all of which pop over the shoulder keeping my hands free).

Do you gig? what exactly are you doing about the drums, not the rack? and leaving the snare on the stand, really??? how are you taking any care at all here?

Do you gig? what exactly are you doing about the drums, not the rack? and leaving the snare on the stand, really??? how are you taking any care at all here?
I assume that he has a very large van than can hold large assemblies.
Most rack users that I know disassemble the rack and they place it into a bag or case.
Memory locks provide quick reassembly.
That wouldn't work for me and my Hyundai Elantra wagon.
Another reason for drum bags is to protect things like walls and the interior of your car from sharp parts of a drum kit that can scratch and tear.

Yeah: I gig from time to time. I drive a big seven-seater Ford so plenty of room when I drop the seats. The snare goes face down on the passenger seat with the belt to hold it in place; the toms sit flat in the luggage space

Trust me: it all works.

Last edited:
Like others, I try to keep most of my gear in Very Good to Excellent condition. It will never remain 'like new' as there is always the possibility something gets dinged around setting up or the slip of the hand.

My drums and cymbals are always transported in lined cases and I handle and wipe them down briskly after every gig with a soft plush microfiber towel. I probably dedicate an afternoon every 6 months to break out the cleaning polish on them. I have come to accept though, that the bass drum in particular gets the dirtiest or more susceptible to dings and fine scratches. My hardware, meh, I take reasonable care - there's obvious wear on some stands and I too wipe them down after a gig but I rarely go back and polish them.. plus by nature of them sitting together in the hardware bag, they rub against each other and blemish one another occasionally. Nothing to lose sleep over. After years and years, everything still operates like the day I bought it.

It takes me less than 3 mins to put 6 drums into their bags. I slip the bags over the drums with ease. Once the drums are in their bags I can grab the carry straps and pick up numerous drums with one hand. I then can load them without worrying about banging them into things. The hardware bag is a godsend because it allows me to pack 100 LBS of hardware and roll it away with ease.
I don't understand how bags or cases makes the task tedious? They make it less tedious.
The other Godsend is the cart which I use for gigs where I have a far carry from the car. The cart is also great for stairs because I can drag an entire kit up or down a flight of stairs in one trip.
The cymbal bag/case is a necessity. Have you ever tried to carry 10 cymbals without having one slip out from the stack?

Same here. I use padded bags and it doesn't take much to pack and unpack them. The added protection is well worth it. I have a painted kit (Mapex blue/white fade) and the only scratches they have are on the bottom of the bass hoops where the touch the floor. That is to be expected so I don't mind. I also use a rock and roller cart as well. It really does not take that much effort at all to take care of your drums. Maybe a second more to gently place a drum down instead of just drop it?

I don't understand guys who don't use cases or a cart and load in the hard way and abuse their gear. Slamming down drums and knocking around hardware will only lead to damage will it not? Drums aren't cheap! I even saw one young drummer roll his bass drum in! With a big chunky tom mount on it! ...rumble rumble thump! ugh! It was like "dude pick that up! You're scratching it and the floor even worse!!" Too funny, but so wrong! That extra time you can gain showing up early is perfect for taking your time unloading and setting up and not rushing. Plus let your band mates know to be careful too if they have to help you get your kit quickly off stage.

I don't move everything around on the floor with a massive broom or anything; it's just that I don't carry them on velvet cushions either - guess I'm just a lazy sod who's happy to trade off the occasional scrape here and there (and it is still a very rare occurrence) for the convenience of foregoing an additional tier of tidying away. Each to his own and all that...

Back