Roland Hi-Hat upgrade -Roland or Yamaha?

SteveLang1

Hi all,

I have a Roland TD-10 and am looking to upgrade the original Hi-Hat. Considering the basic CY-5 (about $100) or the more realistic Roland vh-11 ($280) or Yamaha RHH135 ($180).

Any opionions? Sound quality, rubber striking noise, realism? Any feedback appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, I also have a td10 module and use the vh11 and would honestly not even think of using anything else.
I can't comment on the Yammie hi-hats as I've never played them but they do look very similar in design to the Roland. I THINK that the rubber may be a bit harder (and therefore slightly louder) than the vh11.
I see the Yamaha is also $100 cheaper so that may be a deciding factor for you.
Would definitely not consider the cy5 as a choice (once you've played the vh11 you can't go back)! For my money the vh11 has the most realistic feel to it.

I've heard that the RHH135 Yamaha hats can be used with Roland modules, but you should double check compatibility before any e-kit purchases. And like ToddMC said, if you're looking out for a more realistic hi-hat, the CY5 isn't an appropriate choice.

- Reggae Mangle

I don't know their model numbers but I have played both roland td20/30 and yamaha 950 and you would be better off with the roland. The yamaha is a soft rubber and it doesn't get a nice rebound like the roland does.

Wanted to thank everyone for the replys and feedback. I will definitely skip the CY5's. Roland said they were a good upgrade path, but I really want to get as close to possible (within reason....read that $$$) to a true hi-hat feel.

I searched the forum here and elsewhere before posting, but the feedback on the yammie's compatibility was mixed. I have a line on a demo RHH135 for a good price from a local dealer.....but after the feedback will put out the extra for the VH11.

Thanks again

Steve:

The VH11 is a nice upgrade for certain. Don't make the "mistake" I made when I was looking to upgrade the hats on my TD9 set. I sat down and tried a pair of Zildjian Gen 16 hats. While agreeing with the mixed reviews on Gen 16 system sounds, there is NO substitute for the feel of real cymbals, even ones with thousands of perforations in them! I bought a box set primarily to get the hats and could not be happier, Of course these don't work in all cases (feedback from slant monitors at higher levels while gigging) but for playing in small venues, places of worship, or at home, they can't be beat for flexibility if you can afford them.

Croc

I don't think they're compatible - can't say 100%.

But I have a Roland FD-8, and a Yamaha HH-65, (just pedals), and neither one works with the other's module.

Back