Pearl Masters MCX Series Tuning Woes?

Rock Drummer

So I have a Pearl Masters MCX kit. 22x18 kick, 10,12,14,16 toms. It is made from Maple. I have an issue when I am tuning my toms. When I go to tune, my 12 and 14 always end up at almost the same pitch. Is this a common problem? Do other people experience this? It happened to my teacher as well when he came to show me the basics of tuning. Does anybody have anything they could recommend to remedy this?

Thanks in advance,
Jake

Are those two toms the same depth? Have u tried adjusting/tuning the reso heads?

I always tune a middle tom first, and get it right where I want it. Then I would tune around it, so to speak. I do reso heads first, then batters. Oh yeah, I would start with no heads on any shells to do this.

For example, my last kit was 10, 12, 13, 14, 16. I tune the 13 reso, get it where I want it, then do the 12 and 14, making sure they "match" for each size. Once they do, I would then tune the 10 and 16. After all the reso's "match", I tune the 13 batter, get it where I want it, do the 12 and 14, after they are good with the 13 I would do the 10 and 16. This kept any 2 drums from sounding too close to each other and gave a nice range of tones to work with. Yes it takes a while, but any adjustments you need to make later on down the road are easily done.

I don't understand. How would they end up at the same pitch unless you tune them that way? Just tune the 14 lower, or the 12 higher. The tension rods on the 14 will be much looser than those on the 12 since the 14 has more tension rods.

Here's a little secret, it's not the MCX drums. Start over because it's a little difficult to get both a 12" and a14" to the same pitch. I enjoy playing Pearls MCX drums every chance I get.

How long has your teacher been teaching? Are you tuning by ear or are you trying to use one of the many tuning aids on the market? I can see this happening if this happens to be the case.

We really need more details. Is this a new kit? Are the heads in good condition? What heads are you trying to use. If these are new heads, were you experiencing this same problem with the old heads? Are you experienced with tuning drums?

Dennis

I did have this problem once, but it was because I mixed and matched heads. I had a Evans onyx on my 14", and a Evans EC2 on my 16". Seems like the onyx would only go so high and the ec2 would only go so low. Are u using different heads on each drum? If so, that could be the issue.

I've been playing an MCX for a while now... There is a grea secret to getting a good low end punchy tone...

1 - Take off both heads

2 - Put your reso head on FINGER TIGHT all the way around

3 - 3/4 of a turn on all ur lugs

4 - Put ur batter head (top head) on...

5 - Finger tight all the way around

6 - 1 full turn all the way around EXCEPT one ... Leave it finger tight

7 - Tune your tone with your "loose lug"

8 - This is a safe way to tune your toms with some strong low end... My MCX ROCK royally...

NOTE - Remo Ambassadors on the reso, clear emporer on the batter head...

I echo the same thoughts as everyone else. Pearl MCX's are very nice drums. Perhaps you bought your kit off of a showroom floor or heck even new. Sometimes the heads drums ship with from overseas get damaged in shipping from heating and cooling cycles.

I would start with a set of new batter heads at the very least and follow what everyone else is saying.

Back