two size bass drums

Nice Luddies! If you switch the kick drums around you're getting closer to Danny Carey's rig with the larger drum under the left foot, which leads me to....

The setup I was talking about earlier: DW just put a picture online of the new 9000 lefty double pedal. I might have to give the old setup another look.

drums_front.jpg

Ooo I recognize this kit, and the name :)

It's mostly classic birch. They used to have wrapped colors too ,but have stopped. The first half of the kit was ordered as shown and then the rest was ordered whatever I could get and then I bought the gold sparkle wrap from precision drum. The 22" BD is a 60's and the 26" is a 70's era drum. The rest is current Ludwig except the Vinnie Paul snare which POPS.
Cool beans, Buzter. Thanks for the details.
FWIW, I don't think Ludwig even makes a Classic Birch anymore...at least that name's not currently used.
Nice how the Precision wrap matches the Ludwig.
Guess I'm getting old. Back when I first started (and for a while afterwards), it was anyone else's drumkit but the snare drum was always Ludwig.
Now it seems that practice has gone by the wayside.
Thanks again.

Elvis

I set up my 18"BD with my 22 once and on my double pedal left side I put an angled shaft Danmar beater. Facing the beater to angle forward, I would get a triplet effect when playing 8th or 16ths. even though the angled beater would get buried and muffle the drum it still sounded cool.

Everybody at practice loved the sound, so I brought the whole rig with me the next time and everybody was like, "put that crap away". Too much of a novelty sound I guess

I got the idea from this guy I saw play two bass drums with a single Giant Step on the left and a Giant Step Twin Effect pedal on the right.

Yep, I had a time finding a 14x14 floor tom. I think they had a leftover at the factory in forrest green. I went back a couple of weeks to try to get another drum and the factory said no can do. I ebayed for a bit until I could find one.
Cool beans, Buzter. Thanks for the details.
FWIW, I don't think Ludwig even makes a Classic Birch anymore...at least that name's not currently used.
Nice how the Precision wrap matches the Ludwig.
Guess I'm getting old. Back when I first started (and for a while afterwards), it was anyone else's drumkit but the snare drum was always Ludwig.
Now it seems that practice has gone by the wayside.
Thanks again.

Elvis

Great looking kits!

I've done this for a while too, with a 24" right and 22" left, both open tuned around a 4th apart. Just single pedals on each though. I always thought it would have been cool to somehow combine a lefty and righty double pedal so I could use both feet on either drum, though I'm not sure how (if?) that would work. Anybody done that?

Incidentally, that kit is up for sale now in the Classified section (for financial reasons, not kit reasons) if anyone's interested. Forgive me for spamming, but I thought I might find some interest here.

I've only seen 2 bd's with 1 single and 1 double pedal. I've yet to try that but probably will.
Great looking kits!

I've done this for a while too, with a 24" right and 22" left, both open tuned around a 4th apart. Just single pedals on each though. I always thought it would have been cool to somehow combine a lefty and righty double pedal so I could use both feet on either drum, though I'm not sure how (if?) that would work. Anybody done that?

Incidentally, that kit is up for sale now in the Classified section (for financial reasons, not kit reasons) if anyone's interested. Forgive me for spamming, but I thought I might find some interest here.

Back