Keith Carlock

Yeah! Haha, thats some cool stuff, I'll definately check out some more stuff on youtube. Thanks for showing me this dude.

I had to resurrect this thread from page four!! I noticed that Steely Dan is playing a brief US tour starting in June but I have not seen any indication regarding whether or not the usual Steely Dan suspects are playing with Don and Walt. Has anyone seen anything? Keith's website has not been updated for a while and there is no information indicating one way or the other whether or not he is touring with the Dan. Any information would be much appreciated.

Paul

It is a cliché in arts and performing to say that people just "have it"... but this is the thing, Keith just HAS IT... he's one of those guys like the excellent drummers mentioned that just brought a certain style, a sound, an aesthetic that was different... when people see him play, you just LISTEN and WATCH.

That's star quality.

His playing is phenomenal, his style original... and he is putting together an awesome resumé... his versatility and sound came seemingly all of a sudden to show everyone that intelligent, professional session drumming IS NOT DYING... is alive and well... he along many other guys are the PRESENT and the future of drumming.

best drummer ever, saw him live with the Dan and he stole the show which is pretty hard to do with donald fagan on the stage

altho i think his best stuff is with oz noy which there is a groove called steroids on this site and it is PHAT

It is a cliché in arts and performing to say that people just "have it"... but this is the thing, Keith just HAS IT... he's one of those guys like the excellent drummers mentioned that just brought a certain style, a sound, an aesthetic that was different... when people see him play, you just LISTEN and WATCH.

That's star quality.

His playing is phenomenal, his style original... and he is putting together an awesome resumé... his versatility and sound came seemingly all of a sudden to show everyone that intelligent, professional session drumming IS NOT DYING... is alive and well... he along many other guys are the PRESENT and the future of drumming.

....and his time.. its scary good. Its metronomic but with enough looseness to find the phatness of a groove and sit in it...like a pig in mud!

I saw Keith play with Steely Dan in Perth, Western Australia. It was their first gig on Oz soil. Man, the band is a class act and Keith really stood out and a musician of impeccable feel, technique and talent. Seeing him play was inspirational.

I'd love to see a concert with a rotating line-up of Dan drummers. Keltner, Gadd, Marotta, Chambers, Erskine, Purdie, Lawson, Carlock etc. How awesome would that be?

In answer to my own question above - and if anyone else is interested - while Keith's website and the Dan's website remains quiet on who will be playing with the Dan on its upcoming tour, the most recent Modern Drummer indicates that Keith will indeed be joining Don and Walt for the festivities.

If you have not seen the Dan play I strongly recommend going. It is the tightest musical perfomance you will ever see!

Paul

Steely Dan, 6/9/2008 Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater, Florida. 8:00 PM

Ah...

He played Melbourne tonight with Wayne Krantz and Tal Wilkenfeld. Just a brief rundown on the gig...

It was ridiculous! I took some friends with me. None of us had ever heard any of these guys before, and we were all glued on Keith all night long. 30 seconds into the first song he was sweating up a storm, and he completely committed to everything he played.

He also played LOUD. It was at Bennetts Lane (medium to small sized Jazz venue) and they had the drums miced for some reason. I was 10 meters away and it felt like he had just walked off a stadium tour to play this show. It was crazy but powerful.

Tal (bassist, looks like she's 15) had sound problems the first half of the set, so it ended up being a duet between Wayne and Keith. They both rose to the occasion and destroyed it.

I managed to record some of the set, so I'll post it here, it's only audio but it's worth it. If this is against any rules, I'll take it down. I've got 4 clips, each about 8 minutes, I'll post more if anyone wants it.

Slight crackle in first 10 seconds, then it clears up I promise.

Attachments

• No. 1.mp3
    7.9 MB · Views: 607
Also... Does anyone have any clue what snares Keith is using? I didn't get a close look, but his main was a metal piccolo type thing, maybe brass, his website says he uses a 3.5" by 14"?

He also had an auxiliary, wood hoops, fairly deep, maybe 6" or even deeper, in fact, most likely fairly deeper.

I saw Keith play live not long ago and I was loving it. I was wondering what a good first CD would be to pick up with him on drums. Some people say his work with Oz Noy stands out really well. Is the live record the best? Or is there a studio record that I should get?

I saw Keith play live not long ago and I was loving it. I was wondering what a good first CD would be to pick up with him on drums. Some people say his work with Oz Noy stands out really well. Is the live record the best? Or is there a studio record that I should get?

His work, so far has mostly been with Wayne Krantz, Oz Noy, Steely Dan and Sting. To really hear him open up & fly, I'd recommend his playing with Krantz.

Can anyone tell me with 100% certainty:

Does Keith Carlock actually record with his Oak kit, or does he revert to maple/birch in the studio?

Can anyone tell me with 100% certainty:

Does Keith Carlock actually record with his Oak kit, or does he revert to maple/birch in the studio?

I met him a couple of years ago in NYC, and he was taking about how good his smaller maple bass drum recorded ( he's got 2 maple bass drums.. at least ).

Which leads me to think he isn't recording with his his Oakies.. cant be 100% tho..

As an aside:- Here's how good the Dan backing section rocks even without the big boys.

This youtube clip is a NYC post-gig jam from this summer, at the Bitter End in the West Village.. how phatt can a phatt groove really be?...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR7ruD-kWaQ&feature=related

Last edited:
I met him a couple of years ago in NYC, and he was taking about how good his smaller maple bass drum recorded ( he's got 2 maple bass drums.. at least ).

Which leads me to think he isn't recording with his his Oakies.. cant be 100% tho..

I was leaning that way in my beliefs. I don't know if oaks might be a pain to record because they are bright.

I don't fault him for that, oaks are a great "live" kit at least.

Back