22" or 24" kick drum ? for emo punk

ENRICO

Silver Member
I really like both and I don't have the money to buy both, so any advice would be very useful!!

thanks

I would go with a 22x16 bass drum. You will get a punchier sound out of the drum.

I'd go for a 24x18, 24x14 or 24x16 for a punch. Alot of your Emo/screamo drummers (Aaron G, Underoath) have a very wide, yet shallow bass. It provides a loud/dead punch. Gives it kind of a John Bonham/1970's drum sound. Works well for that kind of music.

I'd go 24" if you plan on "only" owning one kick for a long while. If, however, the possibility of you buying a second kick drum "later on", that might change your direction. I own 2 kicks. A 22x14, and a 26x14. By switching out the kicks, the kit becomes a "whole new beast". On the other hand, you could opt to go 24" now, and add a 20" later. Thinking ahead often lends itself to money better spent now.

nothing stupider than a thread asking "what the best _____ for emo?"

what the best stick for that???

I'd go for the 22". Depending on the amount of rack toms you use and how they're monted, a 24" might cause you positoning problems. I have three 22" bass drums and one 20". I've played a 24" and it sounded gigantic, but then I only used one 12" rack tom to the left side of the bass.

Dennis

nothing stupider than a thread asking "what the best _____ for emo?"

what the best stick for that???

Sure there is, posting the response you did that offers no help to the o.p. You could tell by the thread title what it was, if you think it's dumb don't read it and don't post a response .

I would also ask about how your toms are mounted, if they are mounted on the bass or on stands off the bass. The difference in size between a 22 and 24 if they are bass mounted could cause problems for positioning.

If it were me I'd get the 22 now then later pick up a 24

Sure there is, posting the response you did that offers no help to the o.p. You could tell by the thread title what it was, if you think it's dumb don't read it and don't post a response .

I would also ask about how your toms are mounted, if they are mounted on the bass or on stands off the bass. The difference in size between a 22 and 24 if they are bass mounted could cause problems for positioning.

If it were me I'd get the 22 now then later pick up a 24

the tom will be mounted in a stand to left side , so there will not be any problems with positioning ,

the tom will be mounted in a stand to left side , so there will not be any problems with positioning ,

Then the door is wide open for either. Have you ever played a 24" bass before?

Then the door is wide open for either. Have you ever played a 24" bass before?

no I haven't , and where I live I don't have the possibility to try it , that's mainly why I am asking for help

I like the sound of a 24" in records , but that's all

This genre seems to have a lot built around aesthetics. How the kit looks is almost as important as how it sounds it seems (granted, I am kind of like this myself, so if you're like that I understand! lol). Anyways, a lot of drummers in that genre have really deep bass drums; some of them have 24x24. I'm not really into drums that deep, but if that's the sort of look or sound you have in mind then that's something else to think about.

This genre seems to have a lot built around aesthetics. How the kit looks is almost as important as how it sounds it seems (granted, I am kind of like this myself, so if you're like that I understand! lol). Anyways, a lot of drummers in that genre have really deep bass drums; some of them have 24x24. I'm not really into drums that deep, but if that's the sort of look or sound you have in mind then that's something else to think about.

thanks for the advice , I've never taken aesthetics into consideration until your comment

no I haven't , and where I live I don't have the possibility to try it , that's mainly why I am asking for help

I like the sound of a 24" in records , but that's all

Keep in mind that sound is super processed in most cases so you aren't necessarily hearing on the record what you will hear when you get one.

Back