Steve Gadd, And Ringo,

I usually stay out of these discussions cause I'm not much of a Beatles fan but BP surely seems to be adamant about his statements. And really why would a man of his stature in the music industry tarnish his reputation with fabricated stories. He would have nothing to gain but negative backlash and loose some of his fanbase.

I beleive where there is smoke there is fire. Could he have exagerated how many songs he played on - yeah possibly....but I can't believe that he didn't have some kinda envolvement.

Yeah, it's an interesting one isn't it?

Ordinarily I have a foot well entrenched in the "there's no smoke without fire" camp....but in this case I just really can't see it. If true, I think it would have been revealed by now.....surely? This would go down with conspiracies like UFO's at Roswell, who shot JFK and did we really land on the moon.

As Purdie is the ONLY one who seems to roll with the story, I find the whole thing very dubious. You'd think that someone 'in the know' would've talked long before now and supported his claims....the guy rolling up the cables, the guy cleaning the tape reel etc etc.

What I can't believe is that no-one at all has held him to it and demanded he prove it......I know I certainly would.....legend or not.
I'd love to meet him....."Hi Pretty......love your work....thanks for the shuffle....now can you tell me why you insist on making unsubstantiated claims that it was in fact, YOU who played on 21 Beatles tracks and not Ringo?" :)

I guess we'll never get confirmation, but I can't help the feeling that he's full of it.....any other act may sway me. But, The Beatles?....after all the sessions were recorded?....during the mix down and post-production?......nup, Pretty's tellin' porkies, I think.

I guess we'll never get confirmation, but I can't help the feeling that he's full of it.....any other act may sway me. But, The Beatles?....after all the sessions were recorded?....during the mix down and post-production?......nup, Pretty's tellin' porkies, I think.

Yup. My ears tell me it's Ringo. Of course it's possible that the live clips of Ringo with the Fab Four are actually BP in a Ringo mask ... or there's been a conspiracy to replace the sound in every Beatles video made. Maybe we've never heard Ringo drum as well as never making it to the moon??

:)

Maybe we've never heard Ringo drum as well as never making it to the moon??

I wonder if Purdie had his drums set up on sound stage 4 at Universal Studios....on the same day that those other very well versed actors by the names of Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins, we're doin' their thing? Perhaps the final mix down was done by the mafia....or CIA....or even a couple of funny little green men flown in from Area 51, specifically to oversee both sessions?

And FWIW....Paul IS dead isn't he? :)

Ringo/Beatles fanboy much? People like you are the reason other people are getting put off and start bashing Ringo in the first place.
The only things you post are about how great Ringo is and that he's the most influential and awesome drummer of all time?
People like you are what put me off Beatles for a long time, until I discovered some pearls like Sgt Pepper, White album and Revolver.

I'd like to see Ringo play anything other than 70's rock and pop. Has he played jazz, funk or latino? Seeing you slag off Steve Gadd, one of the most influential and most recorded drummers says something about your maturity and ignorance on the subject.

WHERE did I slag off Steve Gadd?? I never said anything bad about him!

Let's see what Steve Gadd has to say about Ringo....

Steve Gadd on playing with Clapton, McCartney and his new band
A conversation with a drumming icon

Joe Bosso, Mon 5 Jul 2010, 7:00 pm BST

Your discography is so vast, there's no way to list even half of the artists you've worked with. However, I do want to ask you about playing with Paul McCartney, who's no slouch on the drums himself.

"In one way or another, the job is always the same: you try to come up with parts that are supportive of the music. When I worked with Paul, he didn't give me a lot of direction per se. There were a few times, I think, when I wasn't playing as big and loud or as energetic as he wanted, so I made whatever adjustments were necessary.

"Again, I try to listen to the song. If you can listen to the song and really visualize in your head what it needs to be, you can figure out the dynamics and the backbeat and everything else.

"I remember there was a lot of emotion in the air the first time I recorded with Paul. It was not too long after John Lennon had been shot, so as you can imagine, things were…it was heavy. The emotions that everybody was feeling, coupled with the beauty of our surroundings [the island of Montserrat, where George Martin operated AIR Studios], it all came out in the music. Oh, and Ringo Starr was there, too. I had played with him on one of his solo records, so we were old friends. It was great being around him; he's so inspiring."

What kind of musical dialogue do you have with somebody like Ringo? Even though he's one of the greatest drummers in rock 'n' roll history, he's very unlike you in that he doesn't read or write music, never studied theory…

"Yeah, I know what you mean. We had a great time together. See, Ringo comes from a different kind of school, and I find that totally exciting and challenging. How he does what he does…it's so different from what other drummers do. If somebody approaches music or their instrument in a way that's unique, I want to be around that person. To me, there's something to learn there."

Source: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guit...h-clapton-mccartney-and-his-new-band-259506/5

This deserves a BUMP.

Pretty Purdie was just shooting his mouth off to get attention and build a legend around himself. It worked.

But still what does he gain from it. He's not 50 cent where rap beefs and disses sell records. Wouldn't he have gotten blackballed if he was lying.

His fans are from the Ringo/Gadd generation so wouldn't his statements (an obvious diss to RS) alianate his fanbase - those same people that would buy his DCI videos with him acting all jolly with hat and red shirt.

And yes how come no one has ever called him out on it from the Beatles camp - atleast not that I know off.

Just sayin...

This deserves a BUMP.

So what are YOUR thoughts?.....I'll discuss it all day if you'd like, but I'm still yet to see a post where YOU give me YOUR thoughts and impressions. So far it's all either rhetoric or quotes from OTHERS.

140 odd posts...all on Ringo....and I'm still yet to hear what YOU think. What is it about Ringo's drumming that grabs you? Why do you gravitate towards his playing above all others? I know you've stated you're not a drummer....I find it interesting that a humble drummer is able to move you so profoundly. What is it about him that does it for you? Tell me where you get your inspiration out of all this?

Please, feel free to speak for yourself rather than just posting random comments that others have made.....personally, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter....but I'll state again, YOUR thoughts....not everyone else who may have made a passing ref, to Ringo at some point or another.

So what are YOUR thoughts?.....I'll discuss it all day if you'd like, but I'm still yet to see a post where YOU give me YOUR thoughts and impressions. So far it's all either rhetoric or quotes from OTHERS.

140 odd posts...all on Ringo....and I'm still yet to hear what YOU think. What is it about Ringo's drumming that grabs you? Why do you gravitate towards his playing above all others? I know you've stated you're not a drummer....I find it interesting that a humble drummer is able to move you so profoundly. What is it about him that does it for you? Tell me where you get your inspiration out of all this?

Please, feel free to speak for yourself rather than just posting random comments that others have made.....personally, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter....but I'll state again, YOUR thoughts....not everyone else who may have made a passing ref, to Ringo at some point or another.

Well he's my favourite drummer...Second is Keith Moon...I just think he's incredibly underrated. He has his own distinct sound that stands out. It's not about being technically the most advanced. It's about having your own style. I happen to admire Ringo's drumming. He's also my favourite Beatle.
I bumped that article about Steve Gadd because I wanted to show that Gadd has respect for Ringo's talents, which unfortunately many here seem to trash.
I've NEVER said anything negative about Gadd, so I'm incredibly annoyed that I was accused of doing so. I just feel compelled to defend my favourite drummer, who happens to be incredibly underrated.

But still what does he gain from it.

Who knows? Bragging rights? The drumming style is all Ringo (or a clever imposter in my earlier conspiracy theory). One or two people here have dissed Ringo's groove at times.

I can understand that because Ringo's not the slickest drummer around, although I enjoy Ringo's slightly less precise feel (than top sudio drummers) personally. By the same token no one in their right mind could dis Pretty Purdie's groove - the man is groove personified, even if he doesn't seem to mind telling the odd self-aggrandising porky ...

Who knows? Bragging rights? The drumming style is all Ringo (or a clever imposter in my earlier conspiracy theory). One or two people here have dissed Ringo's groove at times.

I can understand that because Ringo's not the slickest drummer around, although I enjoy Ringo's slightly less precise feel (than top sudio drummers) personally. By the same token no one in their right mind could dis Pretty Purdie's groove - the man is groove personified, even if he doesn't seem to mind telling the odd self-aggrandising porky ...

I don't want to come off as a basher just because he doesn't emotionally move me with his playing ...fact is that some my drum heroes/instructors speak very highly of him so I can respect him as being very influencial.

Has he ever commented on Purdie statements?

Well he's my favourite drummer.

Well knock me down with a feather.....I would never have guessed. :)

Second is Keith Moon.

See, now THIS, I never knew. Two very different drummers there, hey? Worlds apart, yet you draw some form of inspiration and enjoyment from both.....great stuff....that's what it's all about IMHO. Moon the loon is not without his detractors either....he's often times accused of being OTT and sloppy. I dig 'em both too.....for reason as varied as the players themselves. I think both suited their bands exceptionally well.

Anyone else on your list? Covered a couple of huge names from the '60's there...anyone of more recent times float your boat too?

...I just think he's incredibly underrated. He has his own distinct sound that stands out. It's not about being technically the most advanced. It's about having your own style. I happen to admire Ringo's drumming. He's also my favourite Beatle.

I'd have to disagree with the "underrated" call. Sure, he's not without scrutiny, but the fact that this discussion has been occuring since the days old, tells me that there are plenty of people who admire him enough to enter into a healthy debate with those who don't get as much pleasure out of his playing. Have you checked out his thread here? And I'm talking about actually reading the thing and really listening to what others have to say....not just cutting and pasting an article where some named drummer mentions Ringo, then claiming foul becuase "everyone hates him and no one but you understands". I'd argue there are more admirers than detractors there. He's "rated" alright....just not by everyone....and what a boring place it would be if that was the case, don't you think?

However, as for taste over technicality....I couldn't agree more.....but remember, there are a wealth of drummers who have both. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. But to a drummer, another drummer with "all the tricks" may well be a little more impressive, is all.

That said though, this is a drum forum and it's only natural that drummers are willing to look a little deeper into the technique behind it, than the average man on the street. The fact that you don't play yourself has probably never caused you to delve a little deeper....why would it? You derive all the pleasure out of Ringo's playing that you need......that's totally cool, but it's not always the approach that a drummer is going to pursue....hence why we have a debate. Ringo's not the first drummer to suffer from this and mark my words, he won't be the last. Horses for courses, my friend.

FWIW....my favourite Beatle?....hhmmmm....gotta be Paul or John I'm afraid. Without either of them, we'd truely have nothing....and god only knows if we'd be discussing Ringo or not.

which unfortunately many here seem to trash.

Sure....but there are equally as many here who don't trash, but respect, admire, emulate, even copy. You're not gonna change the world mate. Be content that you've found something special in his playing that speaks to YOU. Enjoy it for what it is.

I've NEVER said anything negative about Gadd, so I'm incredibly annoyed that I was accused of doing so.

Not my fight mate....I didn't accuse you of 'Gadd negativity'. Take it up with Thaard.

I just feel compelled to defend my favourite drummer, who happens to be incredibly underrated.

I admire tenacity...really, but as long as it's in context. I just don't see the continual posting and re-posting of regurgitated articles expressing the opinions of others as any form of defense. Give us a balanced argument stating your claim and refuting the "naysayers" and you'll get a far better hearing. You wanna defend?.......then YOU defend, don't use an article from the November '83 issue of Modern Drummer to do it for you.

Personally, I don't think you need to....but if you feel the desire, then at least give us your own arguments in your own words. As I've said, Ringo has a heap of admirers and given the fact that he was a member of one of the most successful acts of all time....I'm sure he's content with himself and his ability. Wouldn't you agree?

I don't want to come off as a basher just because he doesn't emotionally move me with his playing ...fact is that some my drum heroes/instructors speak very highly of him so I can respect him as being very influencial.

Has he ever commented on Purdie statements?

I don't know who's commented on BP's claims and who hasn't. My guess is he would laugh. I find their styles very different and BP isn't known to be all that versatile (unlike Steve Gadd) and he's simply loved for being funky as hell with great feel. Every time I hear him play I hear a lot more ornamentation of the groove than Ringo does. The both play with enjoyable feel, but a different enjoyable feel.

There was a time when I didn't like Ringo's playing because it was simpler and less precise than my drum heroes at the time like Bill Bruford, Steve Gadd, Phil Collins, Billy Cobham, Steve Smith, Chester Thompson, Terry Bozzio, Aynsley Dunbar, Ian Paice etc. It was only in middle age that I got past the simplicity and occasional clunkiness and noticed the imagination in his drum parts (esp fill placement in unusual spots), the way he develops a song, his use of space and his good taste that helped to highlight rather than compete with the feature players at certain points in songs etc.

Still, there are tons of drummers who bring fabulous goodies to the table so if you prefer other players, not being into Ringo is no biggie IMO

Personally, I find his approach inspiring although I play in a different way to him. His playing showed me how I could think of songs in a more unsquare way ... I tend to think mathematically and approach my parts with mathematical logic. It's tidy but it's also uninspired ... still working on that one and failing plenty because I'm a geek at heart :)

I found this a while back and I think it does a pretty good job of debunking Purdie's claims.

If you say to a Ringo fan (Generalisation) that you don't like his playing you get verbally
attacked, sometimes personally.
Ringo gets defended with venom. Why is that I wonder?

Say that you don't like any other famous drummers playing & we all agree to disagree.
This constant, sometimes venomous defence of Ringo sends a message.

Sure he inspired many.... to play...he was the first in a legendary band that will never be forgotten.

If you say to a Ringo fan (Generalisation) that you don't like his playing you get verbally
attacked, sometimes personally.
Ringo gets defended with venom. Why is that I wonder?

It certainly is a generalisation, Royal. A few posts ago I said:

Still, there are tons of drummers who bring fabulous goodies to the table so if you prefer other players, not being into Ringo is no biggie IMO

I expect you're referring to some clowns on YouTube or other forums, but I've seen more adolescent carry-on about Lars, Travis, Neil and a whole bunch of other drum stars. I think it's because these guys were/are in bands that touched - or are still touching - people in their youth. And youth and temperance are ... interesting bedfellows.

In the end, the better drummer isn't always the better fit. I remember being really taken by Phil Manzanera's avant-garde band, Quiet Sun.

Later on I heard adaptations of some of the songs on Quiet Sun's album on 801 Live, delivered by an all-star lineup, including the brilliant Simon Phillips on drums. Both were great in their own way and SP's playing was obviously technically more advanced than Quiet Sun's Charles Hayward. Still, I preferred the latter's angular approach playing that music to SP's super-slick playing.

Kenny Jones was much slicker than Moonie but most Who fans much preferred Moonie's extravagant style.

WHERE did I slag off Steve Gadd?? I never said anything bad about him!

Thing is that you seem to look down on people that doesn't agree with you. You type [rolleyes] and being a general nuisance to people who disagree or question you.
Ringo is NOT underrated, everyone and their mother knows who he is, so I don't see why you have to continuously pump these Beatles/Ringo-threads in a drum-forum?

Heres some of the stuff you've said:
"Technically poor? B*tch, please!

LISTEN to the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYEdUQdMGG0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XhIUAoc0lA

I think you need to clean your ears."
Nothing to do with technique at all. Whats with the hostility?
This is what I meant with slagging off Gadd(and others).
Some person said his take on the discussion(in this case that it would be better with Gadd) and you start flinging cuss-words.
If you compare Ringo to the technicians of the time(Buddy Rich, Tony Williams, Papa Jo Jones etc), he still lacks technique. Sure he has feel, but that's more of a personal opinion.

"Who the f*** is Purdie??

You probably also believe Paul died in the 60s."
Again with the hostility?

"BTW, that Japanese drummer is playing Ringo's drum fills note for note, exactly. [rolls eyes]"
The rolls-eyes comment.

If you want people to (re)discover Ringo, you should be more open and not attack everyone who voices their different opinions. Reminds me of all those Rush and Travis Barker-fans.

why always comparing drummers?

Ringo was the best and most seasoned professional drummer in Liverpool when he was asked to join THE BEATLES. They were so happy to finally have a sensational drummer on board and really were prepared so to take off....

If you start comparing anybody to Ringo, you do harm to these, not to Ringo!!!

Don't bash Ringo.

Bernhard

Back