ahhh just got my website up :P

Nick G.

pretty scary times but its online
obviously everything isnt smoothed out (nor are some of the external details)
and i havent published it anywhere yet (except here)

but if you guys could let me know what you think, that would be awesome:

NickGDrums.com

also, if you find any spelling mistakes or typos, point them out aswell haha :)

Cheers,
Nick

Great stuff Nick. The design is minimal and easy to navigate. I think the service you're offering is also great and the pricing very reasonable. Congratulations - very impressed. The only caveat is that I wouldn't put that you've only been doing this for three years; that might put some people off. That sounds ridiculous, but you might find people with thirty years experience.

Also: no Flash! Thank heavens...

EDIT: http://www.nickgdrums.com/DrumTracks.html 'You're happy' instead of 'Your happy'. Don't make me get the grammar hammer!

Great Idea. Besides removing the part about 3 years you should be good to go. And you probably know this but you cant get to listen to a sample or whatever because it says under construction. And since it has no flash it will load fast on a computer or an average cell phone

Great Idea. Besides removing the part about 3 years you should be good to go. And you probably know this but you cant get to listen to a sample or whatever because it says under construction. And since it has no flash it will load fast on a computer or an average cell phone

haha yeh :) i made the under construction page because ive been really lazy at making a soundcloud :p although that doesnt seem to work on phones so i may have to think up a new phone friendly idea :)

cheers for the help guys ill take out the 3 years part now, do you feel the 8 years playing part is ok then ?

and mdf - "gawd your such a grammer hammer" jokes :) thanks for that, i knew there would be problems with the wording

just reworded the 3 years part does this sound better? i feel the page is too short without it :p

I throughly enjoy doing anything to do with music but drumming, recording and mixing is my real passion to which i spend numerous hours a day doing it. This, in turn, helps me get great tracks for you at a minimal cost.

Last edited:
Good website design, easy to navigate, no hard to read font styles or colours, all the hyperlinks seem to work, so it's looking very good! The only thing I noticed was on the 'About' page, there is a bit where 'I' is 'i'. Not much of a spelling mistake, but just helps you come across that much more professionally :)

and mdf - "gawd your such a grammer hammer" jokes :) thanks for that, i knew there would be problems with the wording.

Hahaha, MDF, I'm going to remember that.

All looks pretty good to me, if I was still in Brighton I'd suggest we meet up but I'm not any more.

Hey Nick, it looks pretty cool. I really like the simple design.

If I could make one suggestion: I think the links should be more subtle. Just have them turn white, not also get bigger. I'd make them a little smaller overall, too.

Just my opinion. Feel free to take it or leave it!

nope, i was thinking about it though, perhaps a summer course though as im going to study maths at uni in september.

thanks atomic, i think ive had to change every single one of the "I's" theyve all been lowercase :)

My brother is a maths student (well, PhD...). Where are you going to study?

Quite like MDF as well, appropriate seeing as I'm thick as a plank!

My brother is a maths student (well, PhD...). Where are you going to study?

Quite like MDF as well, appropriate seeing as I'm thick as a plank!

haha sorry i typed it wrong :p

erm well i was looking at sussex as i want to stay close at home so i can keep drumming, but then i did super badly in every other subject but maths so am going to brighton uni. should still be fun and i cant see how maths courses can be much different, just the quality of teaching i assume. wow PhD, we'll see in the future ;)

and cheers criz, im going to work on a new navigation bar as i was never really happy when i made it originally, just thought it looked ok, thanks for the idea.

I was just wondering because he sometimes does workshops for undergraduates, but he's at Manchester Uni so it's highly unlikely you'll have that... erm... experience.

I actually really like your website design. You haven't fallen into the trap of Flash or over-elaborate design. It runs quickly, with no loading times and it's clean and easy to use.

I was just wondering because he sometimes does workshops for undergraduates, but he's at Manchester Uni so it's highly unlikely you'll have that... erm... experience.

I actually really like your website design. You haven't fallen into the trap of Flash or over-elaborate design. It runs quickly, with no loading times and it's clean and easy to use.

oh cool that would be weird if i had said something about it and it had been your bro :p

thanks, im pretty happy with the design aswell just feel i could have done something better with navigation bar

Looks very good to me.

Typo on the Free Demo page - the word, "subsrciption".

Didn't see anything else wrong.

Pretty solid overall. Here's some constructive feedback on how it could be better from art and marketing angles:

• Clean up the layout just a bit. I agree with the previous comments on the headers being a bit garish. Consider pulling them out more with color rather than scale. I like the slate blue that pulls the Twitter section out from the rest of the site, for example, but it isn't a good fit with your logo. Find a color scheme here and stick to it. Also, the gutter between the image frame and the body copy on each page is too small. Those two elements feel jammed together.

• Polish your phrasing. For instance, the wording of this sentence doesn't compel potential customers to want to work with you because it implies heavy demands and distances you from them: "If you want me to record on your tracks - these are the steps you need to take:" I would change that to something more open and friendly, such as: "Getting real drum tracks for your songs is easy! Just follow these simple steps:" There is no "if you want" or "steps you need to take." Those are turn off phrases.

• Improve the photography. A lot of people are going to look more and read less. You should try to tell "the story" of yourself/service through the images on your site. Having images of software doesn't do so much to sell yourself or explain things to the common visitor who will likely skim your site and read next to nothing. Although, having a few that imply compatibility with software on their end isn't a bad move either. Lastly, you need some better balanced images that don't look like they were shot through a cell phone and then vertically stretched by 20%. Ask a friend who is into photography and has a decent camera to spend some time shooting some images for you. Maybe buy them a six pack in exchange or something. The more compelling images are on your site, the longer people will stick around.

Pretty solid overall. Here's some constructive feedback on how it could be better from art and marketing angles:

• Clean up the layout just a bit. I agree with the previous comments on the headers being a bit garish. Consider pulling them out more with color rather than scale. I like the slate blue that pulls the Twitter section out from the rest of the site, for example, but it isn't a good fit with your logo. Find a color scheme here and stick to it. Also, the gutter between the image frame and the body copy on each page is too small. Those two elements feel jammed together.

• Polish your phrasing. For instance, the wording of this sentence doesn't compel potential customers to want to work with you because it implies heavy demands and distances you from them: "If you want me to record on your tracks - these are the steps you need to take:" I would change that to something more open and friendly, such as: "Getting real drum tracks for your songs is easy! Just follow these simple steps:" There is no "if you want" or "steps you need to take." Those are turn off phrases.

• Improve the photography. A lot of people are going to look more and read less. You should try to tell "the story" of yourself/service through the images on your site. Having images of software doesn't do so much to sell yourself or explain things to the common visitor who will likely skim your site and read next to nothing. Although, having a few that imply compatibility with software on their end isn't a bad move either. Lastly, you need some better balanced images that don't look like they were shot through a cell phone and then vertically stretched by 20%. Ask a friend who is into photography and has a decent camera to spend some time shooting some images for you. Maybe buy them a six pack in exchange or something. The more compelling images are on your site, the longer people will stick around.

wow really useful, thanks
a bit about the colour schemes thing

does that mean i shouldnt use black? none of them seem to be black with other colours

could you walk me through using one of them please :p ?

cheers,
Nick

edit:
think ive got the hang of it
im using this one
http://www.colorjack.com/?swatch=910F0F,383838,D9D9D9,6B6350,171717,8C8282

1st colour - title (Nick G Drums)
2nd colour - twitter text
3rd colour - for the scroll over on the navigation bar and the 'Twitter' and 'Follow Me' parts
4th colour - standard button colour
5th colour - background
6th colour - all main text

is that right ?
cheers :)

go to nickgdrums.com/test.html to let me know what you think about the colours ive got going on so far

Last edited:
Hey Nick, I just noticed another problem:

The pics on the About and Equipment pages are distorted. You should crop the pics to the dimensions you want, then when you set the pixels dimensions in the html, use the exact size of the picture. That way you won't get a distorted pic.

Another reason to use the exact pixel dimensions in the html (in other words, place the pic at 100%) is that you'll make the picture's file size smaller, and that will save you a bit on the page load time.

from one nickg to another....looks like great stuff!!

Back