My snare sounds like crud - please help (link to video)

Phat_Rolls

I suck at tuning my snare, I can get my toms sounding okay but I always have problems with my snare. Here's a video so you can see where I'm at now - and this is the best I can get it, it sounds extra buzzy and poopie without the moongel (sorry didn't take off the moongel in this video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnnnB27yHKE

Sorry for being such a dolt and thanks for the help!

I think it may be your snares.
My old snare used to sound exactly like that and I replaced the snares and it made a world of difference

I think it may be your snares.
My old snare used to sound exactly like that and I replaced the snares and it made a world of difference

Thanks for the tip but my old snares had this problem and these new ones have the same problem (puresound custom)

Sounds like your snares are not tensioning. Either the snare beds were not cut right, or the throw is not rigged tight enough.

My snare head is tuned rather tight, on the drum dial it's around an 86. The reso side is about the same. I've tried tensioning the snares many different ways - maybe i'll try throwing my old snare wires back on. I don't get any buzz when I turn the snare wires off.

have tried everything now, tuning batter tighter then reso, reso tighter then batter, tightening lugs opposite of snares, switching snare wires, changing heads, completely removing everything and putting it all back together. I tuned it very carefully - nothing I still get that super annoying ring. the only way to get rid of it is to throw a ton of moongel on it and get a thud. This thing is about to meet my wall.

I did notice a tiny little chip on my bearing edge right where the head lays (go figure... ddrum) I wonder if that little chip is causing all of this... it's really tiny but it's there.

My first impression....tune it tighter. Get the batter in the low 90's and the reso even tighter. Of course that's the sound I like, but try it, you may like it.

Most conventional tunings for snare have the reso roughly a third lower than the batter....so if the reso is at an "A", tuning the batter roughly to a "C" to "C#" should be in the ballpark. Most metronomes have an "A" function. This formula helps the two heads resonate together. Pick whatever tuning you'd like...but "resonance" is mathmatical and like Hz ratings, can be perfectly matched. Still, if you have preference over that, you'll have to play around it.

The snares should be tight enough so as not to choke the reso head, but not so loose that it sizzles...which it sounds like you have on the video. Also ensure that the strainer and snares are even, square with the strainer/butt-support and the nylon or plastic strips/strings you have holding it. If it's pulled unevenly, one or two of the snares could be loose which equals buzz.

One other thing, what is more of your concern? How the snare sounds while you're sitting behind the kit or how it sounds to those who stand in front of the kit (the crowd). There is a difference and you'll be surprised at how it sounds when someone else is playing it and you're standing 15-20 feet away. Try making adjustments based on how you feel while someone else plays it.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I'd say the problem isn't with the existence of ringing, it's with the tone & pitch of it. Tighten your batter head a bit. And contrary to the post above, I tune my reso a little tighter than the batter. Check out myspace.com/timevansdrums for sound clips of my playing with this tuning. (Snares & pitch vary but I always have the reso tighter.)

Snares sound very loose to me. The heads are both pretty low in pitch as well. It also sounds like something in the room is ringing sympathetically also. Is there a glass shade or similar type of item in the room?

I'd say the problem isn't with the existence of ringing, it's with the tone & pitch of it. Tighten your batter head a bit. And contrary to the post above, I tune my reso a little tighter than the batter. Check out myspace.com/timevansdrums for sound clips of my playing with this tuning. (Snares & pitch vary but I always have the reso tighter.)

You're not being contradictory...I also said...."Still, if you have preference over that, you'll have to play around it."

People have their preferences.....more-so than people follow the science of it. I don't either by the way...I tune to my experience with the sound before I tune to specific notes. For those who have great troubles in tuning their drum though...the pitch style usually gets them in the ballpark.

for starters LOOSEN YOUR SNARES! They are choking. Set them to when you play soft they speak. Then maybe consider losing all that junk you have on the drum. If it sounds bad without all the junk, then maybe change heads - change tuning - change drum.

Go on a Bob Gatzen youtube video and message him, he messages back pretty quickly and his expertise are brilliant.

Tom

I agree with BW it's sounds like your snare wires are too tight and they are choking your reso head. either that or your wires arent installed correctly.
Also, sounds to me that your reso is tuned higher than your batter.

This is where photos or video of the bottom of the snare would help, including the throw, the snare bed and wires.

Back