What do YOU think makes a good drummer?

Oly!

I often ask myself; 'What makes a good drummer?' ..
You will often hear someone say; 'Damn, he/she is good at drums', after the drummer plays a groove or fill that sounds cool.
This thread is for members to discuss what THEY think makes a good drummer, whether it good technique, creativity or versitilaty.
Thanks!

Not his or her talent, but by the way they can have fun on stage, enjoy themselves playing, and inspire others to do the same.

I often ask myself; 'What makes a good drummer?' ..
You will often hear someone say; 'Damn, he/she is good at drums', after the drummer plays a groove or fill that sounds cool.
This thread is for members to discuss what THEY think makes a good drummer, whether it good technique, creativity or versitilaty.
Thanks!

These things apply to every musician, but especally for drummers.

The ability to listen to what everyone else is doing.

The ability to play with restraint.

The ability to keep volume down.

The ability to keep steady time.

The ability to change as needed to suit the music.

The ability to entertain an audience with impressive displays of technique (chops) when called for.

Generally good work habits - punctual, keeps up with music, good gear, etc.

P.S. I have a pet peeve about people who ask us what we think, but won't tell us what they think. Care to tell us what you think makes a good drummer?

A true drummer is a simple being with an extraordinary determination to play. We are multi-functional and multi-purpose to fit in any environment.

Best Regards,

P.S. I have a pet peeve about people who ask us what we think, but won't tell us what they think. Care to tell us what you think makes a good drummer?

Haha.. here what i think makes a good drummer.

Creativity/originality
Good Technique and coordination
Entertaining
Having the abiltity to keep time
Versitilaty

The two things I think are most important (other than the obvious...steady tempo, etc):
1. Use the drum set as one instrument.
2. Play to the song. A great drummer can sound great even when playing a song without fills. A simple rock beat can sound amazing.

The best listeners are always the best drummers. Same goes for all musicians.

You can be as solid, creative, inspiring and humorous as you want, but if you listen and respond to what you hear in a musical way, then that takes it to a whole new level.

Lloyd.

The ability to entertain an audience with impressive displays of technique (chops) when called for.

though these are all wonder tools to have it's NOT why i enjoy someones playing. it just gives THEM more options. though i strive for it myself, believe it or not i could care less if a drummer has good time or not.

what i think is good is when they are spirited when they play and they are expressing themselves in a way that is natural & original to them both creatively and with their feel.

obviously chops help but I like a drummer with great time, tasty playing and a solid groove.
Visuals are entertaining but for me don't count towards how I feel about a drummer's playing. It's what goes in my ears that counts. Two drummers who fit the bill for me are the late Jeff Porcaro and the never mentioned and sadly underrated Carlos Vega, also deceased.

bump. This covers it for me as well. Good form DMC...good form..... :)

what makes a good drummer to me is:

the ability to move the song along with feeling and commitment...to me no drummer no great music

a good sense of timing

versatility

knowing when to bring it without upstaging...in my estimation we are already the show

knowing when your 20 month old son needs your attention instead of writing this reply...cheers

This is easy. If a non-drummer asks me, "are the drums in this song good?" I ask them, "are they"? A good drummer is the one that sounds good to the listener's ears. For all other inquiries please refer to this directory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDF1bXhr7xc&feature=related

EDIT: After thinking about it for a little bit, I think my original reply was a little vague, but in other words, a good drummer is one that has the ability to play anything, and I mean literally anything.

Last edited:
A D E E P pocket.

The ability to create a pulse that lets the other musicians and the audience feel comfortable and settled in the groove, whether it's soft or slammin'!

When they play something that makes me think, "Man, I wish I'd thought of that."

Or when something just fits the music so perfectly you know no other drum part could ever do it justice.

Back