No one likes drummers...

Funnyman

Hey guys. I was at a concert about a week ago. And I was wondering...why do they still set up the drummer in the back...I seen some bands that set up the drummer in the corner like Tool or Phil Collins and stuff. Anyway when I was talking to the drummer of one band after they played I seemed to be the only one talking to him. Every one else was more into the guitar player and the singer. Even though the drummer had done awesome stuff I haven't seen before. Anyway...what's your opinion about this. I'd love to hear it.

I seen some bands that set up the drummer in the corner like Tool or Phil Collins and stuff.

The back of the stage is the most logical place imo so I don't have a problem with it...

And I think Tool is the worst example of this... Danny is probably the most visible person in every show and pic I've seen. Even Maynard (the singer) is less visible; he's in the back, to the left of Danny (almost behind the guitarist).

I think it has to do more with the set-up of the stage and balance than anything else. Tool sets up in a "U" type formation with the bass and guitar on the edges up front and drums and singer in the back next to each other. I'm guessing because of their crazy light show and using the stage as also screen to put projections on that they need to keep it as clear and simple as possible. But most bands do it probably cause of balance (some places aren't big enough to have to mic everything) as well as its easier for the people moving around to do so if they don't have to walk around a drum kit setting at the front of the stage

So the guitar players can run around like fools. They do this because they have no personality.

So the guitar players can run around like fools. They do this because they have no personality.
Ha ha! That's hilarious.

To be fair, though, I've had singers and guitar players want to challenge this convention by suggesting we move the drums to the front of the stage, but I've always resisted (successfully). I don't want to be up front. I want to stay in the back but I also don't want to be hidden. Isn't that what drum risers are for? I love those things.

I think I got away with that-------------

431612165.jpg

It's always been my experience that EVERYONE loves the drummers!

I pull mad trim when I am playing in bands. When I am playing in groups, I only went home alone when I wanted to.

Seriously, all you gotta do is show someone what you can do with your fingers. Dextrous hands go a long way in making people feel good, and if you show someone that your hands move in all kinds of slinky ways then you are 'In like Flynn'...

Jeez...I don't like drummers! They always congregate like were all life-long friends or something - and they talk too much about drums! They think they get to hang out with me at my house or something....it's like they're attendees at a Star Trek convention!

When I want to pick out curtains or somethin', I'll call you.

It's always been my experience that EVERYONE loves the drummers!

Yep ... we're much more fun than those poor sods weighed down by boring old scales, chords, harmonies, modes and all the rest of the voodoo ... we represent the Great Unwashed :)

... unless we're too loud. If we're too loud then we're about as loved as people with bad B.O. and flatulence on public transport.

Weren't we first put down the back to keep the out-front volume balanced? Apart from, say, Phil Collins, Levon Helm, Andy Sturmer etc you'll almost never see the drums near the vocalist on stage. If you've ever tried doing lead vocs and drums together, you'll see why. If you ever heard me try to sing lead vocs, you'll know why I don't :)

What's going on? Yesterday, a beef about being mentioned last on band lists and now about us being at the back of the stage. Did someone unlock the Drummers' Union cage? Seems like we need to get out the electric prods ...

As a few people in this and the other Drummers Union thread suggested, be glad you're safe at the back of the stage behind your kit. And we're the only ones who can get away with taking our shoes off (at least since the 60s).

Last edited:
I dont mind the back of the stage. To me it does make sense not to block the stage with a big a_ _ kit.
The only thing I hate is those plastic sound screens. Talk about detaching yourself from the experiance... Yeah, I got an idea...lets put me behind a fence that way I cant see anything either.
Oh, and my experiance is that people very much do like drummers. I think we are generally thought of as more down to earth and pearsonable. Were usually the funny ones too.

I had a new band leader in a praise band who insisted the drum set is at the front of the stage - dead center. When I politely declined and offered my opinion nicely, he refused saying that's the way he wanted it. I countered by saying I need to see the other percussionist on his Djembe and Congas so that we can coordinate by using line of sight and hand gestures. He again refused. I insisted and then the percussionist and guitar players said the same. They all wanted the drums in the back, center stage, where we were all used to being and being able to see each other and cue each other.

I got my way but not after a long and lengthy discussion with the senior pastor as to why he didn't want drums at the front of the stage during a worship service. That band leader is no longer there I am proud and happy to report. LOL

Back