Yamaha Drums How to Offset the Toms

areFish

Silver Member
This isn't revolutionary, but fun to try without any cost. If your a Yamaha Drum Kit owner and want to try an offset tom configuration, this can be done without any additional hardware. Remove the 3-hole receiver from the kick drum and insert the black plug into the mounting hole on the kick drum.
IMG_0052.jpg

Remove the two telescoping sections of a boom stand and insert the 3-hole receiver. Insure the stand legs are opened in a wide position for added stability.
IMG_0057.jpg

Insert the tom ball clamps into the two front receiver holes and the remainder of the boom stand into the rear receiver hole.
IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Before

DSC03069.jpg

After

IMG_0167.jpg

Nice kit!
That's usually how I set up my Oak Yamies when I play 2 up. Even w/ my 20" BD I can't seem to get that tom were I want when it's on the BD. I'll even put the 12" next to the HH w/ the 10" slight more over the BD.

This is how I play my set almost all the time. I get to keep my 4 piece feel and when I play 2 up 2 down I can still play simpler fills without having to alter my style.

Sometimes I'll sit in on a standard 2 up 1 down that has the racks over the BD. I always feel like everything is over to my right too much.

Here's a pic of my offset toms.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=198&pictureid=1241

I would image this would be possible with most BD-mounted-toms kits wouldn't it? As long as the tom-mount-arm fits in one of your cymbal stands... I've been meaning to try this with my Tama Rockstar, but I'm pretty happy with my setup (finally) and don't want to mess with it atm.

Nice kit!
That's usually how I set up my Oak Yamies when I play 2 up. Even w/ my 20" BD I can't seem to get that tom were I want when it's on the BD. I'll even put the 12" next to the HH w/ the 10" slight more over the BD.
I'm thinking of trying that. If the 10" is adjacent the kick I think I can get both drums closer to the right and a tad further from the hats.

This is how I play my set almost all the time. I get to keep my 4 piece feel and when I play 2 up 2 down I can still play simpler fills without having to alter my style.

Sometimes I'll sit in on a standard 2 up 1 down that has the racks over the BD. I always feel like everything is over to my right too much.

Here's a pic of my offset toms.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=198&pictureid=1241
Nice set-up. You have plenty of targets to choose from and I like that 8" tom hiding behind the two FTs.

I would image this would be possible with most BD-mounted-toms kits wouldn't it? As long as the tom-mount-arm fits in one of your cymbal stands... I've been meaning to try this with my Tama Rockstar, but I'm pretty happy with my setup (finally) and don't want to mess with it atm.
It would be possible as long as the hardware is sturdy enough and the receiver is a 3-hole if you plan on mounting two toms. I know what you mean about not messing with it. I hate breaking down for travel once everything is dialed in.

Wow! That's neat how off-setting your toms also turned your Paiste PST's into 2002's. ;-)
LOL !!! I was gonna say exactly the same thing !
That was a cool trick. If only I had a couple of Signatures before the metamorphosis occurred.

That looks great! I tried the same thing with my Stage Custom 4 piece but I can't seem to get the rack tom just where I want it. I'm thinking of putting it on a snare stand. There's a bad combination at work here of a large kick (24") and my throne set very low.

On a side note. Recently played a gig at a big venue in Tempe and saw a drummer for another band. This guy was obviously a big Bonham fan playing on a beautiful chrome 1 up 2 down Ludwig kit with a 15" rack tom that was set up pretty high. He didn't seem to have a problem reaching it at all. This gives me hope that it IS possible, maybe I just need to practice more...

That looks great! I tried the same thing with my Stage Custom 4 piece but I can't seem to get the rack tom just where I want it. I'm thinking of putting it on a snare stand. There's a bad combination at work here of a large kick (24") and my throne set very low.

On a side note. Recently played a gig at a big venue in Tempe and saw a drummer for another band. This guy was obviously a big Bonham fan playing on a beautiful chrome 1 up 2 down Ludwig kit with a 15" rack tom that was set up pretty high. He didn't seem to have a problem reaching it at all. This gives me hope that it IS possible, maybe I just need to practice more...

Before you buy that second snare stand place your tom on your snare stand and see how it sounds. I went to a local music store to buy a snare stand for one of my toms and was cautioned about the deadening effect it could have on the drum. I held off on the stand and went home to try it. In my case he was right. When my 10" tom hangs from the nodal point it sings and when it rests on a tom stand it doesn't.

Just a quick update.

Played a 2 gigs this weekend in some interesting new venues around town. I tried putting the rack tom up on the kick drum bracket. It actually works pretty well once I got used to it and It's a lot easier to set up than a pipe-to-pipe bracket.

The big problem I've been having when setting up like yours is that it leaves too much space between my rack tom and the floor tom. This causes mt quicker fills to sound very sloppy or I hit the rim and drip a stick.

Everything looks brand new...
Nice Kit. I like the kick drum mounted toms to stay where they are , otherwise it feels like there's too much space between floor tom . Still, good tips, thanks. Take care

Hi guys !

Digging up this dead thread right in time for halloween...houuuu.

I am using this offset setup. Any reason why I should not mount a ride cybal using a boom arm inserted in the yess bass drum mount ?

I feel that if it is strong enough to support the weight of two toms, it should be ok for a crashable ride. My only concern is the lever effect, since the ride would be off to the side of the bass drum on a boom (torsion, excess pull to one side only, etc)

Thanks and have great gigs tonight !

This isn't revolutionary, but fun to try without any cost. If your a Yamaha Drum Kit owner and want to try an offset tom configuration, this can be done without any additional hardware. Remove the 3-hole receiver from the kick drum and insert the black plug into the mounting hole on the kick drum.
IMG_0052.jpg

Remove the two telescoping sections of a boom stand and insert the 3-hole receiver. Insure the stand legs are opened in a wide position for added stability.
IMG_0057.jpg

Insert the tom ball clamps into the two front receiver holes and the remainder of the boom stand into the rear receiver hole.
IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Before

DSC03069.jpg

After

IMG_0167.jpg

Hi guys !

I am using this offset setup. Any reason why I should not mount a ride cybal using a boom arm inserted in the yess bass drum mount ?

I feel that if it is strong enough to support the weight of two toms, it should be ok for a crashable ride. My only concern is the lever effect, since the ride would be off to the side of the bass drum on a boom (torsion, excess pull to one side only, etc)

Nah, it's fine. I did it for years and never had any issue. The batter hoop/pedal and the two spurs form a tripod base at least as wide as a cymbal stand's, and the cymbal typically isn't at max extension on the boom anyway.

picture.php

picture.php

Hi guys !

I don't see any issues doing this.

This question is not related to the tom set up - I noticed you mentioned to plug the bass/kick drum hole, where the mount comes out , with a rubber plug. How important is this? I have a Stage Custom that I bought second hand and I mount the toms separately as per your setup. I didn't get rubber plug when I bought the set though. Should I get a rubber plug for the hole?
Cheers

This question is not related to the tom set up - I noticed you mentioned to plug the bass/kick drum hole, where the mount comes out , with a rubber plug. How important is this? I have a Stage Custom that I bought second hand and I mount the toms separately as per your setup. I didn't get rubber plug when I bought the set though. Should I get a rubber plug for the hole?
Cheers

I do not see this as an issue.

The worst you'll get is dust on the srew which is, in my case, covered with a pretty sticky oil.

Put a wine cork in it and tighten it if it bothers you, otherwise clean it from time to time.

Back