Drummers doing sound

jim_gregory

I play some places that have sound systems and some that don't. Seems like every place that does have a nice fancy system we get feedback and screwed up this and that. When we supply the sound I use my vintage powered mixer on a table just to my left and I run it myself. It's always good.
Whats up with that?

Bad engineering is to blame, I think. Simple as that.

Lots of attack, no resonance, extremely loud. That seems to be the mantra of audio engineers these days. Honestly, mic your own set and have your own mixer. Feed them a premixed signal. That's what I plan to do anyway.

Lots of attack, no resonance, extremely loud. That seems to be the mantra of audio engineers these days. Honestly, mic your own set and have your own mixer. Feed them a premixed signal. That's what I plan to do anyway.

I mix the whole band! Plus I do have a separate drum mixer as well that feeds into the main powered mixer when the need arises. It's just SO MUCH STUFF to set up. Oh well.
Drummers burden I guess.

to be fair, the (professional) soundguys are trying to get the best sound for the audience, with the gear they have at hand. this is their primary concern.
understand that they'll have had to sit through, many a crappy band, deal with many primadonnas, keep drunken friends of crappy bands and their drinks off the console, fix the crap gear that's old and ready to break down any second (if it hasn't already) etc. this is why many soundpeople at bars are cranky...at least in my experience.

if you don't like the soundperson at the club you're playing at, well do the sound yourself or hire a soundperson you do like...

Back