Rant about being jerked around by a band

3. Rehearsals are not free, at least get your fuel covered, it shouldn't cost you money to help them with their own stupidity.

I would not want to be in this band as a member. Keep networking, more gigs will come.
Excellent advice. If they have to pay for your time, they will value it. Essentially, they will have invested in you. Then, when it comes time to make a decision, they will think "We've had to pay this dude $20 so far. Let's get our money's worth and play with him." One option is to charge them $10 per hour per practice and offer to refund the money to the band if you actually play the gig. If they don't choose you to play, at least you were compensated. If they do choose you to play, then no one is out anything.

I have a feeling that with these clowns, however, the idea of paying for your time would be laughable to them. They expect to treat people cheaply and have probably been doing it for years. Imagine how they deal with each other. No thanks.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to walk away and lose the contact for that band.

I got strung along years ago once. My drummer buddy broke his index finger and had a pin sticking out of the tip while it healed, nasty. anyway he couldn't play and his band had a gig so they asked me to fill in. I knew I wasn't going to be the permanent drummer but I practiced with them, he was always there, and we learned the set. it was 8 songs so the gig may have been a multi band I don't know. well, a week before the gig he gets the pin taken out and decides to play the gig in pain. I was a little ticked off at the time, all I really did was help the rest of the band stay in practice for the gig and didn't get to play the show. kind of strung along about the gig aspect, I wouldn't have minded keeping them sharp but they always said I was doing the gig so it sucked. freakin high school memories!

Back