DISSAPOINTED if true...

Dane777

One of my mates was talking to the sound engineer who did this metal festival here in Aus called "Soundwave".
On the Bill amongst others was namely Lamb of God and Divine Heresy.
Log drummer: Chris Adler and Divine Heresy drummer: Tom Yeung

Im a fan of both but I got told that the engineer said,
although Tom uses triggers on the kicks and Adler doesnt in the studio,
Live, their kick drums aren't mic'd.
In actual fact, the kick drums are mere backing tracks...
So the drummer looks as if he's playing but really isnt playing what the
audience was hearing.
WTF
Is this known to be true?????

Triggers accent or change the sound of a drum strike, they aren't a backing track in themselves.

As for Adler, he wouldn't need a backing track ever, because I know that he can do what he does, in his sleep.

It would suck if that's true, but I know of a few groups that do this kind of thing. More in the industrial relm, but I was told a story of one band that only has a drummer on stage for show and even though he IS playing, he isn't miced up.

It would suck if that's true, but I know of a few groups that do this kind of thing. More in the industrial relm, but I was told a story of one band that only has a drummer on stage for show and even though he IS playing, he isn't miced up.

I've seen a few bands in the industrial realm where it was obvious the drummer wasn't playing.

As for the OP, sounds too far fetched to be true. I've heard many rumors from engineers over the years that didn't add up.

Triggers accent or change the sound of a drum strike, they aren't a backing track in themselves.

Ive never played with triggers ever in my life, but my understanding of them is you can set them to have the full loudness even if you just tap the skin with the beater.
Thats why most metal drummers only tap the skin with a half stroke for the most at high speed but you can still hear it clearly over the low end guitars...
Is what im thinking wrong?

And yes Chris is still one of the many Gods of metal lol

Ive never played with triggers ever in my life, but my understanding of them is you can set them to have the full loudness even if you just tap the skin with the beater.
Thats why most metal drummers only tap the skin with a half stroke for the most at high speed but you can still hear it clearly over the low end guitars...
Is what im thinking wrong?

You are right. You can set them up to treat the sound texture, volume, and dynamics to your liking.

One of my mates was talking to the sound engineer who did this metal festival here in Aus called "Soundwave".
On the Bill amongst others was namely Lamb of God and Divine Heresy.
Log drummer: Chris Adler and Divine Heresy drummer: Tom Yeung

Im a fan of both but I got told that the engineer said,
although Tom uses triggers on the kicks and Adler doesnt in the studio,
Live, their kick drums aren't mic'd.
In actual fact, the kick drums are mere backing tracks...
So the drummer looks as if he's playing but really isnt playing what the
audience was hearing.
WTF
Is this known to be true?????

Nope i would say it's absolute bolocks. I've seen Chris Adler play with Lamb of God and you can tell everything he does is heard by everyone. As for Tim, there is no need for him to have a backing track he has pretty much mastered the art of double bass and his speed is pretty much unmatched, i would be extrememly surprised if this is true and i'm sure it's not.

You are right. You can set them up to treat the sound texture, volume, and dynamics to your liking.

you can make your strokes sound pretty even by compressing the kick loads, however it's not so good if you're playing live as it can create feedback and stuff. As for this thing about CA and TY, well it's the sort of thing you might find out of the backside of a male cow. The simple fact is that it's not true and the only reason the guy is saying it is because clearly he is too usless as a drummer to ever imagine being able to play like either one of them, or other top metal drummers who don't use backing tracks. Honestly, i think it would probably be harder to play along to a backing track of the kick drum than to actually just play it.

I know both Tim and Chris can actually play the drums BOTh are good drummers and none are playing anything so difficult or fast that it could NOT be created live.
I believe the tech mat have confused you with the trigger issue but I Know if you DON'T trigger the bass drum in cretain situations especially METAL you wont hear it.
Tim

Unfortunately this Milly Vanilly virus has crept into our beloved Metal genre. Those guys don't need back tracks. If you can't play it "live" than keep practicing I say.

Unfortunately this Milly Vanilly virus has crept into our beloved Metal genre. Those guys don't need back tracks. If you can't play it "live" than keep practicing I say.

Unfortunately Some DRUMMERS and bands DO quantize in the studio....
I agree if you cant play it live then why record it unless its experimental expression not meant to be played live but bands that quantize just to be faster or brual rub me the wrong way...LOL
I have a track on JUDEA SAN PEDRO cd where the double bass sounds beyond what people think is possible and I stop and start each time i had a hickup on starting again and the engineer wanted to take out my mistake I said LEAVE it I want people to know im human.This song is triggered so you can actually hear the notes.
Tim

That's untrue. Chris Adler even had LIVE webcasts of him recording their most recent album where people could talk to him. He'd say show show them a few fills and let the fans pick which one they preferred. No way he could 'fake' that. If this story has any sense of truth to it I imagine he means they use triggering instead of mics (some bands even trigger the sound samples of their own albums to recreate their own sound. Dave Macintosh of dragonforce has his kick beaters pointing downwards onto triggers! The kicks were purely for show. Joey Joridson did this for a while too.) They may use triggering so there are no inconsistencies in say fast double kick passages where some strokes may lack in power.

I know both Tim and Chris can actually play the drums BOTh are good drummers and none are playing anything so difficult or fast that it could NOT be created live.
I believe the tech mat have confused you with the trigger issue but I Know if you DON'T trigger the bass drum in cretain situations especially METAL you wont hear it.
Tim

very true, both tim and chris are amazing drummers no faking there. and from personal experience it is true you have to trigger at certain speeds when your live otherwise it just sounds like a rumbling noise.

ok, I was givin a ticket to see the Anger Management Tour a few years ago and in the line up was Limp Biskit. ( not a fan) Being a drummer, you can watch someone and know what they are playing. Well, there were times he hit the cymbals and made NO sound at all and other times he would "forget" to play a fill but I would somehow still hear it? Also, the guitarist jumped around like a maniac and even fell once but somehow...NEVER missed a note. I have seen Rush 12 times. They are amazing and try to play what they played on the cd, but even they are off tempo slightly from the original and dont always play the EXACT fills etc...

I don't mind musos "cheating" in the studio. You lose a lot of the energy and vibe of live performance so if you quantise, use triggers or add a 40-piece orchestra and the Vienna Boys Choir in the studio or whatever, that helps make up for what is lost in translation from live to plastic.

It's a different medium so making the music sound as good as possible by means fair or foul is fine by me, short of having drum machines or session players replacing band members. Ringo must have felt pretty awful when Alan White was called in to record Love Me Do.

That's where I draw the line, but I can understand that in genres where technical expertise is a major part of its attaction, you have to be able to pull it off for real.

I have more of a problem with miming live like Milli Vanilli did. If the fans know and don't care, then it doesn't matter. However, if the fans expect a real live performance and the musos are miming, then they risk going down like like MV did. Dunno if it's legally fraud, but ethically it is.

I feel like I know Tim Yeung pretty well. We've even been roommates at NAMM. The statement made about him is 100% false. Tim is a kick drum phenom. Why would he need to fake anything? Besides I can't even imagine him allowing it. He's a very straight up person. The entire assertion is laughable, and sounds more like an engineer trying to elevate himself around some guys he thinks he will never see again.

Nirvana was asked to play on England's "Top of the Pops" show. At the last minute they found out they had to pretend to play over a backup track. Of course, they weren't happy and did their best to mock the whole performance. Kurt did a Johnny Cash Impression while everybody else just goofed off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtehDIWrX5U

Great Stuff!

Nirvana was asked to play on England's "Top of the Pops" show. At the last minute they found out they had to pretend to play over a backup track. Of course, they weren't happy and did their best to mock the whole performance. Kurt did a Johnny Cash Impression while everybody else just goofed off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtehDIWrX5U

Great Stuff!

looks more like ian curtis to me lol but apparently they were the first band to actually do live singing since the who in the 70s on totp lol @ dave grohl's 'drumming' on this video as well.

As someone already mentioned, I think it would be a lot harder to play along with and keep in time with a load of blisteringly fast double bass patterns than it would be to just play it yourself in the first place. Even if with a click.. there would be absolutely no room for millisecond error there...at those speeds anyway).
Having a few samples and triggers on the go yes maybe, but I doubt that what that engineer said was true...

Back