Bass Drum troubles...ergh..

MAN, that's a LOT of work, especially when a couple of pieces of Velcro would CURE the issue.

For most people, I think it would, but this guy sounds like he has a lot of issues, more than normal. Until he reins in that hammer of a foot, he might have to take extreme measures.

For most people, I think it would, but this guy sounds like he has a lot of issues, more than normal. Until he reins in that hammer of a foot, he might have to take extreme measures.

BULL$# !T, I hit hard too, and how HARD you hit the pedal into the drum doesn't mean NUTHIN'

What "other" issues does he possible have here?? The pedal is moving, it takes the drum with it, stop it from moving and the drum will stay still too. It's pretty simple physics.
This is NOT rocket surgery. (I hope you get the joke here.)

You're looking WAY too deep into a very simple problem that has a VERY simple fix, and concocting problem scenarios that don't exist and cures that are not needed.

BULL$# !T, I hit hard too, and how HARD you hit the pedal into the drum doesn't mean NUTHIN'

What "other" issues does he possible have here?? The pedal is moving, it takes the drum with it, stop it from moving and the drum will stay still too. It's pretty simple physics.
This is NOT rocket surgery. (I hope you get the joke here.)

You're looking WAY too deep into a very simple problem that has a VERY simple fix, and concocting problem scenarios that don't exist and cures that are not needed.

It -is- pretty simple physics. If his foot is moving forward into the drum more than it's moving down onto the pedal, and that seems the case, it's gonna cause the issues. Not arguing velcro, but given the fact that he was moving sandbags around with his kick foot (also no pun intended), I was giving him some more dramatic solutions.

In any case, I'm confident some idea presented here will help him, and that's the idea. If he uses velcro and none of my ideas, I'd be completely happy.

Peace?

Everytime I see vintage kits, the first thing I notice is how rinky dink spurs use to be. Little metal rods coming out at an odd angle compared to todays spur setup. I grew up with these inadaquate spurs and they never worked for keeping a bass drum from moving. They kept the bass drum upright but that's about it. I think most hardware today has gotten too heavy and heavy duty for normal use, but I've never thought this about the spurs available today. I have no idea if this has anything to do with your kit or not. The topic just reminded me of this.

Like most have said, velcro solved this problem for me. Years ago I use to nail small wood blocks to the stage in front of the spurs--when I could. This is an age old problem that I imagine even Krupa and most of the other old timers dealt with.

I'm curious though. Are you using an Iron Cobra?

It -is- pretty si+*mple physics. If his foot is moving forward into the drum more than it's moving down onto the pedal, and that seems the case, it's gonna cause the issues. Not arguing velcro, but given the fact that he was moving sandbags around with his kick foot (also no pun intended), I was giving him some more dramatic solutions.

In any case, I'm confident some idea presented here will help him, and that's the idea. If he uses velcro and none of my ideas, I'd be completely happy.

Peace?

ABSOLUTELY Peace man, I wasn't putting any ill will in a personal manner here, just a professional manner with some FIRE.

If you think about a sandbag, even though you have the sand contained, it moves within the bag, creeping ever so slowly forward rolling the bag as it goes. To use an OBJECT you would need a solid object, which in the drumming world is unsightly, unprofessional and unnecessary.

Velcro is SOOOO cheap and easy to find and SOOOOO easy to use. That's probably why DW puts Velcro on the bottoms of their pedals, cuz it WORKS.

The reason I'm so passionate about this subject is, before Velcro was a popular pedal addition, I did ALL of the things mentioned here and then some, to get my kick not to migrate across the stage. And being as I STILL use Vintage drums, which do not HAVE the kind of awesome spurs that are available today, I had ALL KINDS of issues making the kick stay put until I put Velcro on my pedal!! Seriously, it CURED the creeping problem IMMEDIATELY!! I NEVER had to deal with it again. I even put a piece on the Hi-Hat pedal's bottom, just to lock it to the rug. It's AWESOME stuff!!!

As long as you use a rug under your drums, and you put Velcro on the plate of your pedal, it simply CAN'T move. Any pressure on the pedal INCREASES how Velcro holds to the rug, so essentially, the harder you hit, the MORE Velcro holds to the rug.

ABSOLUTELY Peace man, I wasn't putting any ill will in a personal manner here, just a professional manner with some FIRE.

That made me laugh. "A professional manner with some FIRE". Love it. Thanks Viper :)

I know Larry's comment was poo-poo'd pretty fiercely but in the 70s I saw some drummers tie a rope between stool and kick. Fewer players used mats back then if my (admittedly faulty) memory serves me correctly. I tried it at some stage but the push/pull sensation felt a bit weird. It's not a stupid idea at all, just dated.

Velcro sounds like a good solution but these days my kick would only slide if we were playing on ice.

Simply stick some NEW pieces on the pedal after you peel off the old ones?? You knew that RIGHT???

DW Velcro?? It'll cost you TRIPLE compared to the stuff you can get at Home Depot!! It's VELCRO, DW brand is no better or worse, just more EXPENSIVE!!

You won't need ANY other fix for this if you use the Velcro, that's why DW puts it on their pedals, because IT WORKS!!!

yes i knew that, but i didn't know if he had that problem or not, i was just offering that the velcro would help his situation as well.

Not really having all the facts, it is difficult to trouble shoot a problem to any infinitive degree.. there are a lot of factors that could be happening that cannot be observed.

When I first started I had a similar problem, like many of us did. I did secure the bass drum pedal very well. Finally what solved the problem was getting a bigger carpet. One that was big enough for my set and me...

What was happening was that the whole rug was sliding forward on me. Drum and pedal technically was not sliding forward. Rather, my whole rug was. Case in point, velcro didn't solve my problem. Granted I was a rookie and this was a determining factor. But, it was a determining factor.

So I guess my point is, If we can say that velcro will definitively fix the problem. Well... Nothing is definitive. It didn't for me! As my example suggests... I do feel that with the info presented velcro 'most likey' will fix this problem, but, the statement was made to reach far beyond the scope of this issue,,,

Another suggestion to throw on the fire. I have seen some drummers that sit too low and this causes them to extend their leg which of course pushes things forward. It was as simple as raising their throne a few inches and the problem went away..

--- --- ---
Dane777. Take the suggestions that seem most logical and start there. Work through them until your problem is solved. (I know. Obvious Advice.)

p.s. when you solve it let us know what you did so all of us can benefit from your solution!

There is one thing that I found to help with the Bass Drum sliding. If the angle of the bass drum is lifting the front head too high off the floor, it is putting most of the weight on the pedal end, and not enough weight on the spiked legs. I found that a bass drum spacer would lift the pedal end, and put more weight on the spiked legs. Another problem I found was not having any toms mounted from the bass drum and that makes the whole system lighter.

Woah..
did not expect it to get this heated but yeh lol
thanks so much for all the advice though u guys =D
Much appreciated.
Okay.
to let you all know.
the problem is SOLVED!!
W00T!
I went in2 the studio again,
and it had wooden floors...
eeeep.
Kick was moving still.
I use DW5000,s
and realised the screws somehow on the actual pedal,
werent out as much as they should.
put em out, n dug it into the wooden floors lol
(Shhhh! our secret haha)
Then placed snad bags on the front of the legs and bam.
Problem solved.
And I replaced my velcro n it's all good =D
Thanks for the helpful hints again guys =D

I went in2 the studio again, and it had wooden floors...eeeep.
Kick was moving still. ... realised the screws somehow on the actual pedal werent out as much as they should. put em out, n dug it into the wooden floors lol

Afterwards did you see any marks in the floor afterwards where the pedal's screws were? Or was the floor already scuffed from various kick drum/pedal spurs and screws?

Okay here's the deal.
I play an old Pearl Session Elite.
Bought it second hand in mint condition.
Never had problems with it.
Until now..
The past few gigs Ive done, the bass drum
slides a fair bit a 1min into a song.
Ive got carpeted floors in my rehearsal room
and still it doesn't help. Ive tried both spikes and
rubber bottoms for the bass drum legs and still.
Nothing.
Sand bags help for a while and then it's bag
to moving again.
Can anyone please help me with this problem?

PM me.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

It sounds to me like you don't carry a rug. Wooden floors in the studio? Thats cool but you do bring a rug right? I don't think the owner of that floor would appreciate anyone digging their kick drum spikes into it. Also, velcro doesnt stick to wood, tile, and linoleum last time I checked.

It sounds to me like you don't carry a rug. Wooden floors in the studio? Thats cool but you do bring a rug right? I don't think the owner of that floor would appreciate anyone digging their kick drum spikes into it. Also, velcro doesnt stick to wood, tile, and linoleum last time I checked.

Hahah
yeah the floors were wooden.
and yes there were already scuff marks on the floor
so I didnt feel as guilty =p
And I know velcro doesnt stick to any of those surfaces douche lol
The screws on the pedal and bass drum I put out more for CARPETED surfaces,
ie: My room/rehearsal space.
=D

Back